SEC thinking of having their own playoff

If the SEC has its own playoff and decides to crown itself the "national champion" you can pretty much kiss college football as we know it goodbye. Nobody north of the mason-dixie line is watching that ****. I know im not. The SEC thinks everyone in the country is just so in love with their conference and really its just the deep south, bible belt states that love the SEC.

Thats not a sustainable financial model long term. No network is going to back that especially after ESPN fell for that same "banana in the tailpipe" with Texas and there "Yeah we can pretty much have our own network and provide content that will bring millions of viewers because everyone loves Texas!, right?" WRONG. Lol.
Apparently the Longhorns Network was a pure bribe to stop Texas from leaving the conference (I think they were flirting with the PAC10?). They knew it was a loss maker, but it was cheaper than re-negotiating their deal with an entire conference.

Advertisement
Advertisement
They want all the CFP money for themselves. This has 0.0% to do with football, or competition, or anything else. Like just about everything else in this world, it's all driven by money.
More games = more money.
SEC playoff instead of a single game championship + expanded playoff = crap ton of money for these schools.

You’re talking about potentially expanding the number of games played for the Bama’s and Georgia’s of the world by 20%.

People are crazy if they think the SEC is going to stop at Texas and Oklahoma. I bet they go after OSU, Michigan, and other big programs as well. They will try to overtake NCAA as the governing body.

ACC, Big 10, Pac 12 need to just say **** it and merge. Or they’ll get left behind. 2 powerhouse conferences with Big 12 left holding the bag as the new P5 conference.

Last edited:
Let them split, it'll backfire in the long run.

It would be like how you used to have automobile racing here in the States. The owner of the Indy 500 decided he didn't like the way things were going and while he had the biggest event, he opted to create the Indy Racing League (IRL) and split from CART. He wanted a focus on oval tracks like his. Drivers went both ways, but ultimately it watered the sport down and the returns were never realized. Eventually they came back together and it's been better since. Not my thing, but my father has always enjoyed that kind of racing.

They can try it, but they'll shut themselves out of a ton of markets. They'll also likely pigeon hole themselves in recruiting.

The best remedy for it all is an expanded playoff system. Football is a blessing and a curse thsg can kill off other NCAA sports.

There's a secession joke about the South in here somewhere but I'm not gonna touch it.

drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon
I almost want to let these a-holes f off have a circle jerk and play with themselves. They can tell each other how great they are.

Advertisement
Some are missing the bigger picture here.

They (SEC & ESPN) have never given up on the super league idea. They will continue to try and bring other teams into the SEC, especially after making boat loads of money.

This is all just a way for them to continue to a super league. No one will dismiss this when they steal a few more major teams and become the biggest show. If Clemson joins it will be too late to start taking them seriously.

This is just the beginning....

More games = more money.
SEC playoff instead of a single game championship + expanded playoff = crap ton of money for these schools.

You’re talking about potentially expanding the number of games played for the Bama’s and Georgia’s of the world by 20%.

People are crazy if they think the SEC is going to stop at Texas and Oklahoma. I bet they go after OSU, Michigan, and other big programs as well. They will try to overtake NCAA as the governing program.

ACC, Big 10 need to just say **** it and merge. Or they’ll get left behind. 2 powerhouse conferences with Big 12 left holding the bag as the new P5 conference.
See the bold.

Some are missing the bigger picture here.

They (SEC & ESPN) have never given up on the super league idea. They will continue to try and bring other teams into the SEC, especially after making boat loads of money.

This is all just a way for them to continue to a super league. No one will dismiss this when they steal a few more major teams and become the biggest show. If Clemson joins it will be too late to start taking them seriously.

This is just the beginning....

The SEC will not rest until they secure universities in North Carolina and Virginia, so that they can reunite the entire Confederacy and boast a conference map that makes it look like it's 1861 all over again...

1653401318002.png

Advertisement
The CFP is basically an SEC playoff already. Outside of Clemson and OSU, usually 2 of the 4 teams are SEC. And will continue being that.

Advertisement
"We have an incredibly strong league, one that will be even stronger once Oklahoma and Texas join," Stricklin told Thamel. "The focus should be on how we as a league use that strength to further position the SEC as we face new realities. Commissioner Sankey has encouraged our athletic directors to think creatively, and an SEC-only playoff is a different idea that we should absolutely consider an option." -Scott Stricklin

The vomit is at the content my good sir. Not at the man.

Honestly I expected this.... The SEC is priming itself for what's to come in CFB... With the coming collapse ( already happening) of the NCAA coupled with the new economic landscape the SEC's desire to be a super conference will surely come about... Adding Tex and OK is only the start.... They'll make a play at more teams in the coming years...
This is just the beginning ....
I hate what you are saying, but fear you are right.

Advertisement
Back