"SEC-izing" - who is next???

Making huge investments into our athletic program isn’t the same as thinking you’re some kind of high roller

Advertisement
Blake James must go.

But anyone that thinks we can spend money like the Alabamas and other big SEC schools of the world is insane. That kind of money doesn't exist exist at UM.

Let me clue you all in as to why.

1. We aren’t even in the top 25 in terms of total revenue.

2. The top schools easily bring in millions upon milions more than we do.

3. We don’t have the rich booster base other schools do. Not even close. Our fans are notoriously cheap.

The clown show that posts here? We have maybe a small handful that contributes.

NEWSFLASH: you want better facilities? It’s coming out of your pockets...just like it comes out of the boosters pockets at the SEC schools.

We will be paying more for our coaches in the future. I have no doubt of that.

You want SEC facilities?

You better ante up and kick in.
UM can’t spend money like bama, but I don’t think they have to. At the end of the day college football is about talented players and talented coaches. Those come a lot cheaper than a $500M facilities upgrade.

None of our problems would be solved w a new player only palace of a dorm.

**** I hope I’m not wrong.

UM can’t spend money like bama, but I don’t think they have to. At the end of the day college football is about talented players and talented coaches. Those come a lot cheaper than a $500M facilities upgrade.

You’re not. We can compete as long as we keep investing and start winning.

Blake James must go.

But anyone that thinks we can spend money like the Alabamas and other big SEC schools of the world is insane. That kind of money doesn't exist exist at UM.

Let me clue you all in as to why.

1. We aren’t even in the top 25 in terms of total revenue.

2. The top schools easily bring in millions upon milions more than we do.

3. We don’t have the rich booster base other schools do. Not even close. Our fans are notoriously cheap.

The clown show that posts here? We have maybe a small handful that contributes.

NEWSFLASH: you want better facilities? It’s coming out of your pockets...just like it comes out of the boosters pockets at the SEC schools.

We will be paying more for our coaches in the future. I have no doubt of that.

You want SEC facilities?

You better ante up and kick in.

I cant say fans are cheap so much as they aren't lemmings that will waste money on a bad product. Miami had no issues winning championships 20 years ago, but that was before the era of big TV contracts and $9 million coaches. Since that era began we have had horrendous coaches- doesn't matter if we had T Boone Pickens as our sponsor, money wasn't going to fix the problems. Now it takes money to win, but what am I going to get for making a donation? A contract extension for Diaz? He needs to show some promise first. Is it going to turn a mediocre basketball into an acc powerhouse? I doubt it. Oh, but there's always college baseball. We were ranked #1 for all of 3 days until we got swept at home by the Gators. Dont call Miami fans cheap until we start winning and we dont donate. I have a feeling if the programs looked like they were moving in the right direction, you would see a substantial increase in donations.

Advertisement
When the SEC expands, Miami better be ready. Cause Clemson, FSU and a few others will be. Unless CFB changes drastically after they start paying for likeness, my only concern would be all the visitors fans overtaking our fans at Hard Rock.

Where do some of you guys think SEC schools get the money for these massive undertakings? The AD’s aren’t paying for this stuff out of their own pockets, it comes from boosters, TV contracts and fan support/ticket sales.

Miami is not in the SEC or Big 10 so TV money, while much better than before, is still far behind those bigger conferences. Nothing we can do about that.

There’s a small group of generous boosters but as we’ve seen with the IPF, the athletic department still has to beg for money because people aren’t lining up to pay for facilities outside of a few wealthier alums.

The fan base is most laughable because you can’t whine about the school not spending more money while simultaneously not spending any money on their product. If you’re fed up and don’t want to buy their product, I can certainly understand that frustration but if you’re not putting money in, you don’t get to complain about how much money goes out.

Your idea of "massive" is not the same as the rest of college football's. bama pays their HC as much as we pay our whole staff. They're recruiting budget is several times larger than ours. So yes, we've see money being invested in the program, but nowhere near the scale at which the big boys are investing.
Next recession will end all of that.

And not to talk of the pros or cons, but if free college tuition is guaranteed for all in the next few years I have a strong suspicion that massive spending by institutions in a sport as fraught with head injuries as CFB will become a political issue and ultimately curtailed.

And not to talk of the pros or cons, but if free college tuition is guaranteed for all in the next few years I have a strong suspicion that massive spending by institutions in a sport as fraught with head injuries as CFB will become a political issue and ultimately curtailed.
If free tuition is guaranteed for all, none of us will be able to afford tickets, merchandise, or the internet to discuss such things.

Advertisement
Yes massive. New state of the art athletic dorms as part of a $155 million new housing project. Nearly $40 million for a top of the line, 85,000 sq ft indoor practice facilIty. A $7 million facilities upgrade for the baseball team. A total overhaul of our weight room in 2016 just to name a few.

Just curious, when is the last time you drove past UM?
The only thing for football is the IPF, which "massive reinvestment BJ" had to pan handle for. Meanwhile, it's not enough of a benefit to the AD to play in Hard Rock, instead we're at a Nike high school stadium. All the while, we're supposed to be Addidas flagship program. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I love Miami football more than just about anything besides my God & family, but there's a huge part of me that can't wait for minor league football to take over and end the charade that CFB has become.
I hear what you're saying. But, is that really going to fix what it has become? It will still just be whichever teams have the most money will run things...

The only thing for football is the IPF, which "massive reinvestment BJ" had to pan handle for. Meanwhile, it's not enough of a benefit to the AD to play in Hard Rock, instead we're at a Nike high school stadium. All the while, we're supposed to be Addidas flagship program. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Football players don’t live on campus? Or work out?

And stadium talk? Really?

You’re just a chronic mope man. Keep lolling away.

I cant say fans are cheap so much as they aren't lemmings that will waste money on a bad product. Miami had no issues winning championships 20 years ago, but that was before the era of big TV contracts and $9 million coaches. Since that era began we have had horrendous coaches- doesn't matter if we had T Boone Pickens as our sponsor, money wasn't going to fix the problems. Now it takes money to win, but what am I going to get for making a donation? A contract extension for Diaz? He needs to show some promise first. Is it going to turn a mediocre basketball into an acc powerhouse? I doubt it. Oh, but there's always college baseball. We were ranked #1 for all of 3 days until we got swept at home by the Gators. Dont call Miami fans cheap until we start winning and we dont donate. I have a feeling if the programs looked like they were moving in the right direction, you would see a substantial increase in donations.

Sorry. Miami fans are cheap compared to other fan bases, whether we are winning or not. That’s just a fact, Always has been. Also, Miami fans are notorious frontrunners. Just the way it is. Not all, of course. We have a decent but small core.

Advertisement

Sounds like you’re rooting for a recession

Tell that to most of the posters here.

Nothing is free mane and don't let Bernie tell you otherwise.

Advertisement
How many other div 1 schools have only a couple of thousand show up for spring games?

They listed a five year "run" for attendance for 130 schools- Miami came in at number 35. Which means that approximately 95 schools produced attendance figures worse than Miami. This was for years 2014-2018.

This is exactly why college football fans around the country laugh at the way Miami fans conduct themselves as "big time" UM supporters. The same way college coaches negatively recruit about all things related, currently, to the football program as a whole.

It's no mystery as to why they hire crap coaches and lagged so long in facilities.

Advertisement
Back