"SEC-izing" - who is next???

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
From a great article in the Athletic by Andy Staples

SEC-izing — Spend the GDP of a medium-sized nation on facilities and staff to provide every recruiting and on-field edge possible. This includes new football facilities, indoor practice fields, new weight rooms, new locker rooms, an army of analysts for video, nutrition, strength & conditioning, and recruiting, and a bigger salary pool for the best assistant coaches/recruiters available with a bigger emphasis on recruiting than coaching

Swinney actually was the first to recognize what Saban was doing at LSU and Alabama and then try to convince his bosses to let him do it too. He spent the first years of his tenure at Clemson trying to convince his administration that the Tigers needed to beef up their staff to have any chance of competing with the Alabamas and the LSUs of the world for recruits and on the field.

Like Saban, Swinney tends to identify trends and inefficiencies long before anyone else. So, after some initial resistance, he actually was the first to SEC-ize a program outside the SEC. The difference is he’s managed to strike a work-life balance that makes assistants love working at Clemson. That’s tough to do, and it has more to do with the head coach’s personality than with the resources available to the program.

After Mario Cristobal successfully SEC-izing* Oregon in the Pac-12 a few years after Urban Meyer SEC-ized Ohio State and James Franklin SEC-ized Penn State in the Big Ten, as far as which program is next, my bet would be on someone in the Big Ten because that league makes more money than even the SEC. A good guess probably would be Michigan State. The Spartans already had to open up the checkbook to get Mel Tucker. Tucker worked for Saban at LSU and Alabama and worked for Smart at Georgia, so he already understands the infrastructures of those programs. The circumstances under which he was hired put Michigan State in a position to acquiesce to his demands, so I’d bet he’ll get a lot of what he asks for in terms of infrastructure. He also can make a compelling case that this would be the only way to compete with division rivals Ohio State and Penn State, which are ahead of the Spartans on that front.

Oklahoma and Texas already have done all this. Oklahoma is only a few great defensive line recruits away from being where the Sooners want to be. Texas, meanwhile, hasn’t been able to find the correct formula despite having plenty of money to buy whatever infrastructure is necessary. For a while, the issue was that the Longhorns wouldn’t spend that money. That isn’t the problem anymore. Now the issue is getting the correct people in place. We’ll see if Tom Herman’s recent staff changes help on that front.

This was part of a Question - Answer article written as part of Staples' analysis of UGA hiring Scott Cochran away from Sabin and Alabama.

Advertisement
Meanwhile at miami, we have an incompetent AD who is supposed to be great fundraiser but have been crying broke for years to excuse our cheapness..

My head hurts

Who’s has been crying poor at UM the last few years? All I’ve seen is massive reinvestment into athletics.

You should research, it may take away your headache.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who’s has been crying poor at UM the last few years? All I’ve seen is massive reinvestment into athletics.

You should research, it may take away your headache.
Your idea of "massive" is not the same as the rest of college football's. bama pays their HC as much as we pay our whole staff. They're recruiting budget is several times larger than ours. So yes, we've see money being invested in the program, but nowhere near the scale at which the big boys are investing.

I love Miami football more than just about anything besides my God & family, but there's a huge part of me that can't wait for minor league football to take over and end the charade that CFB has become.
College football is hugely flawed and it's debatable if schools should be in athletics in the first place. But I'll tell you something. Loving a team because you went to that school is a much tighter bond than anything you can forge with a team that comes to your town when you're an adult. It may be an illusion that I really have anything to do with Miami football, but it's a lot realer than anything I can have with a pro team.

"Massive reinvestment?!" LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yes massive. New state of the art athletic dorms as part of a $155 million new housing project. Nearly $40 million for a top of the line, 85,000 sq ft indoor practice facilIty. A $7 million facilities upgrade for the baseball team. A total overhaul of our weight room in 2016 just to name a few.

Just curious, when is the last time you drove past UM?

Advertisement
Verbal Warning. No politics
College football is hugely flawed and it's debatable if schools should be in athletics in the first place. But I'll tell you something. Loving a team because you went to that school is a much tighter bond than anything you can forge with a team that comes to your town when you're an adult. It may be an illusion that I really have anything to do with Miami football, but it's a lot realer than anything I can have with a pro team.

How in THE fuuck is it debatable? That is some hard core Lib shiit right there.

Your idea of "massive" is not the same as the rest of college football's. bama pays their HC as much as we pay our whole staff. They're recruiting budget is several times larger than ours. So yes, we've see money being invested in the program, but nowhere near the scale at which the big boys are investing.

No the problem is diminishing what we’ve done by comparing it to something only a handful of programs can do.

From a great article in the Athletic by Andy Staples

SEC-izing — Spend the GDP of a medium-sized nation on facilities and staff to provide every recruiting and on-field edge possible. This includes new football facilities, indoor practice fields, new weight rooms, new locker rooms, an army of analysts for video, nutrition, strength & conditioning, and recruiting, and a bigger salary pool for the best assistant coaches/recruiters available with a bigger emphasis on recruiting than coaching

Swinney actually was the first to recognize what Saban was doing at LSU and Alabama and then try to convince his bosses to let him do it too. He spent the first years of his tenure at Clemson trying to convince his administration that the Tigers needed to beef up their staff to have any chance of competing with the Alabamas and the LSUs of the world for recruits and on the field.

Like Saban, Swinney tends to identify trends and inefficiencies long before anyone else. So, after some initial resistance, he actually was the first to SEC-ize a program outside the SEC. The difference is he’s managed to strike a work-life balance that makes assistants love working at Clemson. That’s tough to do, and it has more to do with the head coach’s personality than with the resources available to the program.

After Mario Cristobal successfully SEC-izing* Oregon in the Pac-12 a few years after Urban Meyer SEC-ized Ohio State and James Franklin SEC-ized Penn State in the Big Ten, as far as which program is next, my bet would be on someone in the Big Ten because that league makes more money than even the SEC. A good guess probably would be Michigan State. The Spartans already had to open up the checkbook to get Mel Tucker. Tucker worked for Saban at LSU and Alabama and worked for Smart at Georgia, so he already understands the infrastructures of those programs. The circumstances under which he was hired put Michigan State in a position to acquiesce to his demands, so I’d bet he’ll get a lot of what he asks for in terms of infrastructure. He also can make a compelling case that this would be the only way to compete with division rivals Ohio State and Penn State, which are ahead of the Spartans on that front.

Oklahoma and Texas already have done all this. Oklahoma is only a few great defensive line recruits away from being where the Sooners want to be. Texas, meanwhile, hasn’t been able to find the correct formula despite having plenty of money to buy whatever infrastructure is necessary. For a while, the issue was that the Longhorns wouldn’t spend that money. That isn’t the problem anymore. Now the issue is getting the correct people in place. We’ll see if Tom Herman’s recent staff changes help on that front.

This was part of a Question - Answer article written as part of Staples' analysis of UGA hiring Scott Cochran away from Sabin and Alabama.

UT has their OWN tv network outside the Big 12.

Yes massive. New state of the art athletic dorms as part of a $155 million new housing project. Nearly $40 million for a top of the line, 85,000 sq ft indoor practice facilIty. A $7 million facilities upgrade for the baseball team. A total overhaul of our weight room in 2016 just to name a few.

They have obviously started to invest, but they were also pretty far behind the other schools just a few short years ago. There is always the topic of "how much room" on campus do they actually have to expand, so that should also be a legit hurdle.

So what percentage of the money they have received to date, from ACC revenue sharing, have they re-invested back into athletics as a whole? Meaning, what you listed above, to include other improvements.

Advertisement

Our investment have been:
1. Ross getting his stadium SB ready

2. The IPF in which our head coach had to kick off by giving up $1m out of his own pocket, half of it funded by the Soffer Family, and the other half by a numerous amount of boosters, and donors.

3. An outdated locker room funded by the Rock (which was dated at the time, but quickly became out dated w/in a couple of yrs b/c it was so out dated for so long)

4. A refurbished players lounge that was funded by Vilma back in 2011

5. Student Dorms

So all the “reinvestments” that are bragged about, came from others. ****, the last few dollars for the IPF was begged by Blake to donors. I’m not sure if we can consider this a “reinvestment” compared to what other schools AND their boosters are doing.

They have obviously started to invest, but they were also pretty far behind the other schools just a few short years ago. There is always the topic of "how much room" on campus do they actually have to expand, so that should also be a legit hurdle.

So what percentage of the money they have received to date, from ACC revenue sharing, have they re-invested back into athletics as a whole? Meaning, what you listed above, to include other improvements.
Blake James puts up the table minimium and our fans think we are high rollers

Advertisement

Yeah they just spent $155 M's on the first village and when that's completed they're spending another $260 M's on a second residential complex. Miami is no where near as broke as people try to make it seem.

Blake James must go.

But anyone that thinks we can spend money like the Alabamas and other big SEC schools of the world is insane. That kind of money doesn't exist exist at UM.

Let me clue you all in as to why.

1. We aren’t even in the top 25 in terms of total revenue.

2. The top schools easily bring in millions upon milions more than we do.

3. We don’t have the rich booster base other schools do. Not even close. Our fans are notoriously cheap.

The clown show that posts here? We have maybe a small handful that contributes.

NEWSFLASH: you want better facilities? It’s coming out of your pockets...just like it comes out of the boosters pockets at the SEC schools.

We will be paying more for our coaches in the future. I have no doubt of that.

You want SEC facilities?

You better ante up and kick in.

Advertisement
Back