Season Prediction Thread

I think with our offense we will play with anyone. Our def will be the key. If they can improve into lets say a top 40 defense we can win any game on our schedule. Depth will also be an issue, but if Morris, Porter, and Duke all stay healthy we can legitimately win 10 + games this yr IMO.

The highlighted assumption drives me nuts.

UM's offense beat up a bunch of losers last season and flat out disappeared in the face of any team with a top 15 D. UM could not buy a freakin first down against FSU, ND or KSU for LONG STRETCHES of those games. The offense simply disappeared.

So, other than blind hope, upon what do you base your conclusion that UM's o can go toe-to toe with anyone?

Look, I get hope. I've hoped for a decade, but I've heard enough hope. Sure, it looks good on paper, but I'll wait to see it in action. ****, UM is breaking a new offensive coord. and we just assume he can roll when even our crappy D shut down FSU for a half last year? Did you see Coley's O against NC State? LOLOL FSU's O disappeared last year in a few games, and he'd worked with those kids for years.

I say 8-4, and hope we see 9-3.

If you're going to cite FSU's occasional offensive slowdowns, then blame the right person. Coley only designed the offense, Jimbo made all of the in-game offensive play calls.

Advertisement
9-3 regular season
11-3 final
decently ranked
Defense dramatically improves over course of season.
Some offensive injuries but all are well for the bowl game.
Go Canes!

I think this Is the year we put Florida state back in their place (if not now with an experienced good quarterback then when? Freshmen coming in will have hiccups and need game time before becoming reliable). However I think we lose to Florida in a close one and drop one or two more during the season. Finish regular season best case scenario 10-2,if we drop against Florida state and another, then possibly (and more likely) - 9-3

Let's see

FAU: Win
FL: Toss up...they are tough to beat when they bring their A game
Sav State: Win
USF: Toss Up...we only won 6-3 the last time we played in Tampa and it was a last second Field Goal.
GT: Toss Up...we barely beat them last year in OT
NC: Toss Up...we lost last year and just won out the last time we went up there
Wake: I believe we barely beat them last time we played there and were behind most of the game when Travis Benjamin caught that sensational catch
FSU: Toss Up: We lost last year, the year before, and the year before...
Va Tech: Toss up...they are always tough. Last year's game was nice...finally able to see UM beat Va Tech in person
Duke: Win...but I never felt comfortable last year. Our offense played great, but it seems Duke was able to just go up and down the field.
Va: Toss Up...we lost last year and the year before and it seems them Virginia boys seem to give us fits
Pitt: Toss Up...if we play in cold weather like we did in Orlando/Champs Bowl and El Paso/Sun Bowl...we lose.

I guess to answer the question...I don't have a freakin clue. I personally was happy with the team's overall record last year, but I felt we left the NC/VA games out there...

Advertisement
I think with our offense we will play with anyone. Our def will be the key. If they can improve into lets say a top 40 defense we can win any game on our schedule. Depth will also be an issue, but if Morris, Porter, and Duke all stay healthy we can legitimately win 10 + games this yr IMO.

The highlighted assumption drives me nuts.

UM's offense beat up a bunch of losers last season and flat out disappeared in the face of any team with a top 15 D. UM could not buy a freakin first down against FSU, ND or KSU for LONG STRETCHES of those games. The offense simply disappeared.

So, other than blind hope, upon what do you base your conclusion that UM's o can go toe-to toe with anyone?

Look, I get hope. I've hoped for a decade, but I've heard enough hope. Sure, it looks good on paper, but I'll wait to see it in action. ****, UM is breaking a new offensive coord. and we just assume he can roll when even our crappy D shut down FSU for a half last year? Did you see Coley's O against NC State? LOLOL FSU's O disappeared last year in a few games, and he'd worked with those kids for years.

I say 8-4, and hope we see 9-3.

I am basing it off having another year's experience both with the QB and the OL and a hot finish. I could be wrong but I see a much more consistent offense. More weapons on offense and another year in conditioning. I get what you are saying and normally would agree but I see us turning the corner this year and showing major progress. Optimistic I guess you could say!

8-4 because of the defense. They are not ready and it will cause a change in the offseason.......unless the DTs turn to wilfork and sapp which I havent seen from them talent wise.
I really want us to beat fsu and ufag and im jumping for joy if we do.

I'd rather save my official official prediction until the beginning of August when we know who will be in for the fall semester.

Let's see

USF: Toss Up...we only won 6-3 the last time we played in Tampa and it was a last second Field Goal.
Wake: I believe we barely beat them last time we played there and were behind most of the game when Travis Benjamin caught that sensational catch
Va Tech: Toss up...they are always tough. Last year's game was nice...finally able to see UM beat Va Tech in person
Duke: Win...but I never felt comfortable last year. Our offense played great, but it seems Duke was able to just go up and down the field.
Va: Toss Up...we lost last year and the year before and it seems them Virginia boys seem to give us fits
Pitt: Toss Up...if we play in cold weather like we did in Orlando/Champs Bowl and El Paso/Sun Bowl...we lose.

I guess to answer the question...I don't have a freakin clue. I personally was happy with the team's overall record last year, but I felt we left the NC/VA games out there...

I agree that we will struggle in a few games and might drop to a lowly team, however I don't agree with how you got to that conclusion. You're basing this coming year off of last year when all teams have new and more developed players, new coaches, or players who left. Every year is a new year in college football, otherwise they wouldn't play the games.

Advertisement
Let's see

You're basing how we do against teams this year based on how we did when we played at their place in like 2008? Makes sense.

I'm having trouble deciding on a firm prediction this year.

We could be a 10-2 team, with a top offense and a defense that is serviceable enough to get us to where we want to be. I think if we are this team this season, we drop one to either Florida or FSU (but beat one of them), and one to some team like North Carolina who we should otherwise beat.

On the other hand, it's possible we might not improve all that much, and we only go 8-4, despite a killer offense. We're all sitting here saying the schedule is weak, FSU has a new QB, Florida lost half of their terrible offense and much of their defense, and VT is down, but we don't know that all of that bodes well for us for sure. Florida is still a tough team, FSU still has a good defense (their offense was never what scared us in the first place), and teams like VT expected to be down end up coming up midseason all the time. Our schedule projects weak, but for all we know it could end up strong. We'll have to wait and see.

I think the season ends up somewhere between these two points, at 9-3. One of the teams we expect to be down is going to end up pretty good. We will be a lot better, and hopefully move up on our way to coming back.

Like another poster said, my heart says 10-2 or better, but my brain says we still have a long way to go. If the injury bug doesn't hit us at all, I think we could go 11-1, but the fact that that never ******* happens tells me we are going to go 9-3 or even 8-4 based on lack of quality depth at key positions like Defensive Line, Safety, and Linebacker.

No matter what, we see improvement in our record by at least 1 win. And if that (the worst case scenario) takes place, I expect pretty much the same next season (another 1 win improvement). We will see gradual improvement in our team every year under Golden, IMO. He ain't Nick Saban yet, and being the school we are we have to take guys like Golden while they are young and still learning the game. Bigger money schools would have taken a guy like Golden after he stepped up from Temple to a school like Michigan State or Kentucky, while we have to find our Urban Meyer's while they are still at Bowling Green.

Eventually he will get past the learning curve, and we can expect more than marginal improvement season to season, but he showed us last year that he still has a lot to learn, both in games like Virginia and on NSD. I think he is a promising coach but we can't expect a miracle here. It's possible he turns the corner this season, but I wouldn't count on it just yet.

Advertisement
This isn't a final draft guysm. Just go ahead and tell us how you think we're going to fare as of 7/15/13, or else.

Advertisement
I think we'll win 9 games. Hopefully that will be enough to win the Coastal.

We should win 10 games. If we don't, I'm gonna make Daniel Rivera's meltdown look like a Buddhist priest's.

9-3 because our defense is bad.

I'm having trouble deciding on a firm prediction this year.

We could be a 10-2 team, with a top offense and a defense that is serviceable enough to get us to where we want to be. I think if we are this team this season, we drop one to either Florida or FSU (but beat one of them), and one to some team like North Carolina who we should otherwise beat.

On the other hand, it's possible we might not improve all that much, and we only go 8-4, despite a killer offense. We're all sitting here saying the schedule is weak, FSU has a new QB, Florida lost half of their terrible offense and much of their defense, and VT is down, but we don't know that all of that bodes well for us for sure. Florida is still a tough team, FSU still has a good defense (their offense was never what scared us in the first place), and teams like VT expected to be down end up coming up midseason all the time. Our schedule projects weak, but for all we know it could end up strong. We'll have to wait and see.

I think the season ends up somewhere between these two points, at 9-3. One of the teams we expect to be down is going to end up pretty good. We will be a lot better, and hopefully move up on our way to coming back.

Like another poster said, my heart says 10-2 or better, but my brain says we still have a long way to go. If the injury bug doesn't hit us at all, I think we could go 11-1, but the fact that that never ******* happens tells me we are going to go 9-3 or even 8-4 based on lack of quality depth at key positions like Defensive Line, Safety, and Linebacker.

No matter what, we see improvement in our record by at least 1 win. And if that (the worst case scenario) takes place, I expect pretty much the same next season (another 1 win improvement). We will see gradual improvement in our team every year under Golden, IMO. He ain't Nick Saban yet, and being the school we are we have to take guys like Golden while they are young and still learning the game. Bigger money schools would have taken a guy like Golden after he stepped up from Temple to a school like Michigan State or Kentucky, while we have to find our Urban Meyer's while they are still at Bowling Green.

Eventually he will get past the learning curve, and we can expect more than marginal improvement season to season, but he showed us last year that he still has a lot to learn, both in games like Virginia and on NSD. I think he is a promising coach but we can't expect a miracle here. It's possible he turns the corner this season, but I wouldn't count on it just yet.

I agree. We COULD have a great year, but because of a lack of depth at key position that Golden is still trying to recruit his way out of, we'd have to be VERY lucky when it comes to injuries in order to have that great year. 9-3 regular season is reasonable, and no reason to put Golden in the hot seat (as some had claimed in the past).

9-3 is the most realistic but hoping for a 10 win season. If we start out good and beat Florida I think that momentum can carry us to 10 wins. Huge confidence booster.

Advertisement
Back