Sean Taylor or Ed Reed

Advertisement
You might as well ask me to choose between one of my 2 kids.
By the way, which one of your kids would you chose?
On a more serious note, It is not really about who you love more or choose more, Sean or Ed, it is about knowing their God given gifts and skills, innate and acquired/ developed.
You know what each of your kids have and who has better talent or natural ability than the other. Every parent does.
I would argue that Sean is more physically gifted and maybe better overall pure football player. But Ed's understanding of the game, study habits, devotion and effect on the game outcome is second to none. Probably the best overall safety of all times.

Our last TD on 4th down before the failed 2 point conversion against ND wasn't a catch, and Chris Gamble was in bounds on a reception that would have sealed the game in 02.
Back in the day it was a catch.
It's no coincidence that it took until the Catholics vs the Convicts 30/30, 30-years later, in an era of questioning every catch, that that particular play was even questioned.
Holtz and crew watched that game film after the game.
Why didn't they bring that play up back then to try to validate their bogus win?
Because in '88 it was a catch.

By the way, which one of your kids would you chose?
On a more serious note, It is not really about who you love more or choose more, Sean or Ed, it is about knowing their God given gifts and skills, innate and acquired/ developed.
You know what each of your kids have and who has better talent or natural ability than the other. Every parent does.
I would argue that Sean is more physically gifted and maybe better overall pure football player. But Ed's understanding of the game, study habits, devotion and effect on the game outcome is second to none. Probably the best overall safety of all times.

How about I just endorse what you just said and we'll call it a day.(y):LOL:

Last edited:
I would have loved to see them both on the same defense at the same time... a perfect pairing, Reed as FS, Taylor as SS.

Advertisement
Ed is the goat , at no point was ST better, the gap just got bigger at the next level. Sean was getting better when he passed but he struggled early on in his career.

He was just an elite physical talent but Ed was a football savant. And unreal leader.

The greatest I’ve ever seen.
This!!!!!

Both were great.

Reed probably doesn't let Clarett come up from behind and try and strip the ball after a pick, though. He was way too smart for that...
This is the only negative play I've seen st have.... And it was huge. Like that chaf
Exactly. Came in as a rookie and was already dominating the league. Might be the Smartest player of all time (Belichick words) Only reason I can see people putting ST ahead of him is measurables and being a 5 star coming out of high school while Ed was a lower rated recruit.
This again!!!!! No shade on ST, but Ed was just..... Man!!!!!!

no Team ever had two like them. To think we also had others as good or almost as good is like a dream. If I had to choose one or be killed, I would say, would Ed Reed ever, ever, have let a rb steal a pick six from him? That one play is the only negative I have about either.

Advertisement
The only thing ST had on Reed was natural athletic ability. Taylor didn't need to work like Ed did at every other aspect. He didn't study film like Ed did and just basically had the attitude that he would show up on game day and dominate. Had he worked like Ed then he would've been the best ever. It's a testament to how athletically gifted he was that he's even in the discussion on athletic ability alone.

Advertisement
Sean Taylor may have very well ended up being one of, if not the greatest player ever. He was the best safety in the league in his final 2 years and it's unfortunate that he wasn't given the chance to finish his career and raise his little girl. That being said, we did see Ed Reed's entire career and so we can only go with the evidence on hand and say that it's Ed Reed.

ST26 was an unreal athlete and football player. If you made a safety in a lab, ST26 is what you would have.

Ed is all good a FS and captain that you could ever have. He's what the Redskins thought they could have when they moved Sean to FS, before his tragic death.

We should celebrate that both of the best safetys to play the game came from the same school around the same era. I absolutely enjoyed watching them play in college and in the league.

Advertisement
If I need a Free Safety, I'm taking Ed.

If I need a football player, I'm taking ST.

Ed had a better career than ST. Which is obviously unfair, given the untimely demise of ST26.

We can play the what if game forever, but Ed Reed is the greatest FS of all time. And the fact that Sean Taylor is reasonably included with names like Ed Reed and Bennie Blades is a testament to how good he was.

Here is a thought

In todays game would ST still be a safety?

If he were just coming out of college today, probably. If he were still in the league now from when he entered, he'd eventually shift down to $backer at some point and be dominant there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back