Sean Taylor or Ed Reed

I have always told people that Sean Taylor is the greatest football player I have ever seen. But I was wondering which player do you guys think is the best of the two. I know it isn't a fair comparison cause Sean's life was ended way too soon

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's really the argument nobody wants to have. Trying to argue over who is better between a Safety spent years being considered the OG and THE safety to study, soon to be in the Hall of Fame...and comparing him to a deceased Legend in every sense of the word that most kids and even grown *** men looked up to....just not the argument any Cane really wants to gave

I have always told people that Sean Taylor is the greatest football player I have ever seen. But I was wondering which player do you guys think is the best of the two. I know it isn't a fair comparison cause Sean's life was ended way too soon
1) It's completely splitting hairs as they were two of the best safeties to ever play the game. 2) As mentioned above, they were so different that it makes comparing them difficult/meaningless. 3) Why propose this question when they are both beloved so much by all of us? But if you want my answer in terms of purely who would I choose to have on my team if I could only have one? Ed Reed. But it wouldn't be an easy decision by any means.

Advertisement
Both were great and I'm not going to say one was better than the other.

BUT...I have never seen any safety in any game ever take over a game like Sean Taylor took over the FSU game back in 2003. It was probably the best game any safety ever played.

Advertisement
College is Taylor. was a one man wrecking crew. Took over games and broke your will. Take him all day. NFL is Ed Reed.
No doubt Sean was an absolute force in Coral Gables! But Ed Reed, IMO, was the best college player I've ever seen in terms of how effectively he played his position. Again, this is definitional splitting hairs here. They are both gods. End of story.

1) It's completely splitting hairs as they were two of the best safeties to ever play the game. 2) As mentioned above, they were so different that it makes comparing them difficult/meaningless. 3) Why propose this question when they are both beloved so much by all of us? But if you want my answer in terms of purely who would I choose to have on my team if I could only have one? Ed Reed. But it wouldn't be an easy decision by any means.
Thank you. I know it's a debate that is very hard to have. A couple of my UGA homies asked me who I thought was best. I figured a debate with actual UM fans on the subject was better than UGA alums

Advertisement
Sean Taylor is the greatest position for position football player of all time. I feel like you could him at any position and would dominate.
Ed Reed is the greatest free safety of all time. His playmaking ability, leadership and intangibles is what set him apart. He brought an intellect to the defense.
At free safety I would take Ed Reed. If I just wanted to choose a football player I would take Sean Taylor first.

Impossible to say who is best.
They were so different.

Exactly. All depends on the style of FS play you like. ER20 is the GOAT by default (Career was not cut short). But I loved ST26 style of play so much more. So it's ST26 for me

Sean Taylor is the greatest position for position football player of all time. I feel like you could him at any position and would dominate.
Ed Reed is the greatest free safety of all time. His playmaking ability, leadership and intangibles is what set him apart. He brought an intellect to the defense.
At free safety I would take Ed Reed. If I just wanted to choose a football player I would take Sean Taylor first.
Very well said.

Advertisement
Back