Sean Taylor or Ed Reed

Ed is the goat , at no point was ST better, the gap just got bigger at the next level. Sean was getting better when he passed but he struggled early on in his career.

He was just an elite physical talent but Ed was a football savant. And unreal leader.

The greatest I’ve ever seen.

Advertisement
Both were great.

Reed probably doesn't let Clarett come up from behind and try and strip the ball after a pick, though. He was way too smart for that...

I have never seen a more dominant athlete (college or pro, any position) on the defensive side of the ball than Sean Taylor. He was on his way to GOAT when he was killed, IMO. But that’s a projection. Ed Reed goes down as the GOAT safety.

Ed is the goat , at no point was ST better, the gap just got bigger at the next level. Sean was getting better when he passed but he struggled early on in his career.

He was just an elite physical talent but Ed was a football savant. And unreal leader.

So true

Advertisement
Both were great.

Reed probably doesn't let Clarett come up from behind and try and strip the ball after a pick, though. He was way too smart for that...
I had zero recollection of that play so I just had to research this. I never watched a replay of that disastrous game and it was a repressed memory until now.

Was at Miami with both of them.

It's Taylor and honestly it's not all that close. Just as much of a ballhawk, just as good with the ball in his hands, better against the run and a harder hitter.

Advertisement
That one hurt bad. But it was not more sickening than the CG fumble. That was a broad day robbery of a natty. Either he's down by contact, or it's a touchdown.

It was either a first down (down by contact) or a TD. Watching the replay, he crossed the plane and it was a TD. Refs actually ruled it down by contact, but said it was a turnover on downs, even though he made the line to gain and it wasn’t even close (even if they weren’t gonna give him the TD).

Like you said, robbery in broad daylight.

Our last TD on 4th down before the failed 2 point conversion against ND wasn't a catch, and Chris Gamble was in bounds on a reception that would have sealed the game in 02.

Exactly. Came in as a rookie and was already dominating the league. Might be the Smartest player of all time (Belichick words) Only reason I can see people putting ST ahead of him is measurables and being a 5 star coming out of high school while Ed was a lower rated recruit.

Advertisement
As much as I love Sean T, and I mean looooooove Sean T....what separates Ed and Sean is their leadership and football IQ. Both had very high football IQ's but I believe Ed was much more cerebral. I always used to wonder, if Ed had caught that int against OSU in the Fiesta Bowl, would the same results happened?

Advertisement
I have always told people that Sean Taylor is the greatest football player I have ever seen. But I was wondering which player do you guys think is the best of the two. I know it isn't a fair comparison cause Sean's life was ended way too soon

Actually pretty simple. Ed when you're thinking consistency from game to game. But just one game, when operating at his highest capacity, there was never a safety like ST. Whether it was against the run or pass, he was the by far the best player on the field, the best player in football.

Actually pretty simple. Ed when you're thinking consistency from game to game. But just one game, when operating at his highest capacity, there was never a safety like ST. Whether it was against the run or pass, he was the by far the best player on the field, the best player in football.

Never?!?!?!

VALID QUESTION OP- and one I have asked myself. To me the answer lies in who you liked BEST as they were both GOATS. i loved The way ST hit so he is MY choice.

Advertisement
Back