Scrimmage thoughts

AlexCane

Senior
For those that weren't able to go, here are my random thoughts:

1. Saw a lot of big sets from Enos. There were a lot of 2 TE sets and plenty of Realus George. A lot of plays were run under center.
2. It is a two-man race between Kosi and Jarren. Tate is clearly well behind both. I'll discuss Tate later.

Kosi and Jarren were pretty close from what I saw. I'm no pro scout, but if I had to say, I'd say Jarren throws a better ball. I'd guess that the job will go to the QB that displays better maturity and really digs into the playbook. I have a feeling the stuff we don't see (locker room, meetings, etc.) will determine who wins the job. I wonder if Kosi's conduct last year will stain this coaching staff's views or expectations of him.

3. Tate. Rough day. Candidly, if I didn't know better, I'd say he was a non-scholarship kid. He struggled. He reminded me of that lefty UNC kid. He's got some real skills running the ball, but he's way behind the other 2. Also, at least from what we saw of the offense, if a majority of plays will be run under center, it doesn't seem like Enos' offense is built for him. Without the benefit of replay and a crappy vantage point, it seemed to me he couldn't set his feet because balls were landing several feet in front of receivers. I don't think the issue was a lack of arm strength. There was a slant to Njoku that was thrown well behind him.

4. KJ Osborn looks like he'll be this team's Braxton Berrios. They have a different game, but he looks like he'll be Mr. Dependable. Physically, he's also more developed than the other WRs on the roster. He'll be a solid rotation guy and catch 25-40 this year. I'd expect him to be the guy the QBs look to on critical downs. He had 5 catches (I was there through the 3rd) from what I saw, although I think he dropped a TD pass on what looked to me like a well-thrown ball by Jarren.

5. Will Mallory strikes me as an NFL player. It's a small sample size but he looks and plays the part. He had a really nice play getting away from a tackler and extending the play.

6. Cam'ron Harris was the player of the day, IMO. He had a long run and two "wow" moves that drew ahhs from the crowd. Deejay is awesome but Cam'ron looks like a home run hitter, particularly when he gets outside. I suspect Deejay will get more carries between the tackles and will be the go-to back when Enos wants to tire out a defense. Deejay craves contact. I suspect Cam'ron will have more opportunities to get outside in space and bake. RB is a strength of this team (and we didn't get a chance to see Lingard). I thought we'd miss Homer but we'll be fine.

7. Bethel and Pope took KRs to the house. There was a nice fake punt that Deejay (I think) nearly returned to the house.

8. Baxa missed one, but otherwise made 3 or 4. He'll be solid.

9. Neither JT4 nor Big Jon Ford played. Jon Ford is bigger than nearly everyone even without pads!

10. Jordan Miller looks the part. Thick, stocky kid.

11. Njoku is an interesting guy. There was one pass that he snared and high-pointed and looked great doing so. It seems to me that he has the capability to make highlight plays. Does he have the every-down consistency to be trustworthy though? I don't know. He looks like a boom or bust career here.

12. Pope took an end-around nearly to the house. That kid looks like a nightmare in the open field. Quick, shifty, and twitchy.

13. Rousseau in the huddle looks like the varsity guy that snuck onto JV. I've seen him in person and he's a legit 6'5." In cleats on the field, he towers over everyone else. He likely would've had a sack.

14. I'm concerned about OL play. I wasn't observing who was where but overall, the unit struggled I thought.

15. Sightings: Sheldrick Redwine, Malek Young and Jaelan Phillips.

Advertisement
Appreciate the write up. You think Deejay looked any quicker and/or faster than last year?

I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in the Spring, especially on offense, personally. Just think it's too early to say much, other than to get a feel for skill-sets that these guys have. Fall scrimmages will be much more telling of what we're looking at for this year.

Alex, thanks for the recap mate especially for those of us not in So FL or could not attend Saturday. Sounds consistent with what others saw at the scrimmage. Can’t wait to see if there’s consistency in separation of the QB’s, the OL, and new secondary for this Saturday’s Spring game. The biggest key to me being are we getting better play from everyone or are we regressing? I’m hoping we will see continual improvement out of the team with some noteworthy highlights. Anyone know if it will be streamed anywhere?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I appreciate the recap @AlexCane. Glad to hear about Pope doing well and getting reps KRs. Others that were there stated that the OL actually did ok though.

The thing that made Jarren stand out to me was his ability to feel pressure and make subtle moves to extend plays without dropping his eyes and panicking.

Perry and Tate might be better runners, but I don’t care about having a QB who tucks and runs at the first sign of pressure. You need a QB with functional mobility, which is the ability to make subtle moves while still looking to make plays in the pass game.

The thing that made Jarren stand out to me was his ability to feel pressure and make subtle moves to extend plays without dropping his eyes and panicking.

Perry and Tate might be better runners, but I don’t care about having a QB who tucks and runs at the first sign of pressure. You need a QB with functional mobility, which is the ability to make subtle moves while still looking to make plays in the pass game.

Williams has far superior pocket presence and goes through progressions better than the others. He just looks in control.

Advertisement

The real question is which one of our current 1 & 2 QBs will be around come fall... Perry isn't going to stick around to play second fiddle to Williams.... and vice versa.

I highlighted one play on the podcast where he made about five simple moves in the pocket before taking off. It would have been a first down even with live tackling.

This. This was his strength last year too, and Perry’s weakness. It’s deja vu. Will it be enough to take the job?

Advertisement
Williams has far superior pocket presence and goes through progressions better than the others. He just looks in control.
How do we know who goes through progressions better than who? By his head turning? We have no idea who the keys are, who he is looking at and how fast or accurately he is seeing what's happening. This is an absurd assessment based on nothing. One **** scrimmage that you likely did not attend cannot tell you who goes through their reads better.

I said this in another thread and will say it again. JW played against the two defense with walk ons at dt, safety and lbs. OF COURSE HE LOOKED GOOD IN A CLEAN POCKET. He didnt have Nesta collapsing **** on him. Let's stop making **** up to feed whatever narrative you are hoping plays out. Lol. We have seen Jarren throw 30 passes in the stuff they show us and the couple of scrimmages. How can we come to any definitive conclusions? The only thing we know is he hasn't played in a game yet and hasn't lost the faith of the fans. He is the shiny new toy and now everyone wants to crown him with a very limited data set.

He looks good and made some good throws and made a few really bad decisions. One could argue based on the bad decisions that he was not seeing things well and not going through his progressions well on those plays. Just sayin.

How do we know who goes through progressions better than who? By his head turning? We have no idea who the keys are, who he is looking at and how fast or accurately he is seeing what's happening. This is an absurd assessment based on nothing. One **** scrimmage that you likely did not attend cannot tell you who goes through their reads better.

I said this in another thread and will say it again. JW played against the two defense with walk ons at dt, safety and lbs. OF COURSE HE LOOKED GOOD IN A CLEAN POCKET. He didnt have Nesta collapsing **** on him. Let's stop making **** up to feed whatever narrative you are hoping plays out. Lol. We have seen Jarren throw 30 passes in the stuff they show us and the couple of scrimmages. How can we come to any definitive conclusions? The only thing we know is he hasn't played in a game yet and hasn't lost the faith of the fans. He is the shiny new toy and now everyone wants to crown him with a very limited data set.

He looks good and made some good throws and made a few really bad decisions. One could argue based on the bad decisions that he was not seeing things well and not going through his progressions well on those plays. Just sayin.
Jarren does have better pocket presence though. Nkosi pocket presence is pretty ******, he is going to have to work on that during the summer.

Advertisement
Back