Scrimmage thoughts

Advertisement
JW is unquestionably more polished than Perry. Better footwork, release, and placement. And yet, his completion percentage was identical (shouldve been worse actually) against the lesser defense, and worse the previous game.

Fundamentals are awesome, but you gotta put down that work as well. JW gotta outperform Perry.

So far, he has not.

I don't wanna hear about who looks better.

Who is making plays?
I agree. I’m worried about them 2 man Tate was bad this scrimmage and I still feel he’s the best of all of them he just uncomfortable under center still

Those are both teams that would put up numbers running any offense bc of how much talent they have. Meanwhile u have teams like UCF, Houston, Utah St. averaging 500+ yds a game and never going under center.

I'd say around 90% the top 25 offenses last year rarely, if ever, got under the center. All 3 of are QBs are more comfortable in the spread and the majority of high school recruits are coming from a spread offense. I'm going to wait and see what it looks like in an actual game, but if Enos thinks going under center and calling plays from the huddle is going to work he will not be here long.
I’ll say 75% gun and 25% under center this season. Also if we get a top 50 offense, Enos ain’t here next season.

I’ll say 75% gun and 25% under center this season. Also if we get a top 50 offense, Enos ain’t here next season.

Exactly. If our offense is even competent Enos will be overhyped bc of how abysmal we looked last year. I hope you're right about 75% though.

Appreciate the write up. You think Deejay looked any quicker and/or faster than last year?

I'm not putting a whole lot of stock in the Spring, especially on offense, personally. Just think it's too early to say much, other than to get a feel for skill-sets that these guys have. Fall scrimmages will be much more telling of what we're looking at for this year.

Deejay looked better than last year in my opinion seeing limited snaps. Lighter and quicker.

Advertisement
when-it-turns-into-a-free-for-all-fight.gif
Wtf is going on here?

Advertisement
Those are both teams that would put up numbers running any offense bc of how much talent they have. Meanwhile u have teams like UCF, Houston, Utah St. averaging 500+ yds a game and never going under center.

I'd say around 90% the top 25 offenses last year rarely, if ever, got under the center. All 3 of are QBs are more comfortable in the spread and the majority of high school recruits are coming from a spread offense. I'm going to wait and see what it looks like in an actual game, but if Enos thinks going under center and calling plays from the huddle is going to work he will not be here long.

Understanding concepts, how to attack defenses, and how to utilize offensive personnel are way more important than worrying wether or not we line up under center or in the shotgun. I mean we lined up in the shotgun 98% of the time last season and how did that work out for us? Success can be had under center or in the shotgun as long as the OC knows what he is dong first and foremost. And as canes fans we really shouldn't care how it looks as long as it is effective.

Advertisement
I believe what ever the end result is at quarterback Tate will still see playing time. At bama enos used hurts and tua together but more so tua. I mean having packages for Tate at qb isn't a bad idea based on his run ability but when Tate's back their you can't fully assume he's gonna take off because of his ability to hurt you with his arm which is developing. His skill set just gives defense's more to prepare for which is clearly advantageous for the offense.

Understanding concepts, how to attack defenses, and how to utilize offensive personnel are way more important than worrying wether or not we line up under center or in the shotgun. I mean we lined up in the shotgun 98% of the time last season and how did that work out for us? Success can be had under center or in the shotgun as long as the OC knows what he is dong first and foremost. And as canes fans we really shouldn't care how it looks as long as it is effective.

Do u think it's a coincidence that 90% of the top 25 offenses were spread concepts heavy? There are teams who run the pro-style offenses, they're just not as effective. Let UCF, Houston, Utah run a pro-style offense and i bet they don't rank in the top 15 offenses nationally.

Advertisement
I highlighted one play on the podcast where he made about five simple moves in the pocket before taking off. It would have been a first down even with live tackling.
I didn’t hear that, little brother. But his subtle movements in and around the pocket look so much better than the other guys. I’m not so sure that’s a teachable thing either. There are guys who have that feel and guys who don’t, and it’s usually one of the major factors that separates the top guys from the guys who aren’t.

Remember last year, as soon as Perry felt any pressure he’d duck his head and take off. Rosier was famous for that too.

Fans get too caught up in straight line speed with QBs and shuttle times and all that. Some of the fastest QBs over the years have also been the most often sacked. It’s the subtle footwork that matters way more than speed.

Do u think it's a coincidence that 90% of the top 25 offenses were spread concepts heavy? There are teams who run the pro-style offenses, they're just not as effective. Let UCF, Houston, Utah run a pro-style offense and i bet they don't rank in the top 15 offenses nationally.

Those teams you just listed proved my point. They may have top 25 offenses, but they not winning what really matters. They use spread to do more with less and paint the narrative that you are falling for. They putting a top 25 offense on the field every year, but not winning nattys (Thats their program selling pitch).More often than not you can put up crazy numbers with spread concepts, but thats just window dressing if it don't help you win when it counts. I was a UM fan when we were winning, so I don't care about all that pretty sh**t, I just want to win.

Ohio State and Clemson are the only 2 teams in recent history that I can recall right now who actually won what matters running a true spread offense and never go under center. Oklahoma has had success running it recently, but still came up short despite having 2 Heisman winners.

Advertisement
Back