Scholarship Situation

I'm not sure about this, but I think that Redshirt Juniors who graduate, can play next year for us, and not count towards the scholarship numbers, as they would technically be graduate student, and funded through the graduate school and not the athletic numbers.

I don't know if this is true, and I've been curious about this for years, but have never been given a definitive answer to this situation one way, or the other.

It does seem logical, since when you are a graduate student, you really become the property of the graduate school versus the entire university.

Advertisement
Hopefully Jahair Jones sorry *** will be shown the door. Tired of his goofy bull**** after the game but too sorry to contribute.

I'm not sure about this, but I think that Redshirt Juniors who graduate, can play next year for us, and not count towards the scholarship numbers, as they would technically be graduate student, and funded through the graduate school and not the athletic numbers.

I don't know if this is true, and I've been curious about this for years, but have never been given a definitive answer to this situation one way, or the other.

It does seem logical, since when you are a graduate student, you really become the property of the graduate school versus the entire university.

Any one who plays one down of football is on a football scholarship. There are lots of redshirt seniors on teams, especially on the OL.

Advertisement
Jones, Gray, Martin, Fines, Patchan, Knowles, Shireffs, McCray, Finley, Gordinier, Trey Johnson, Milo, and Mike Smith are all transfer candidates if the coaches really want more spots. 13 potential transfers, 11 open schollys, 9 seniors graduating, 1 leaving for the league. That means if MJ, Norton, and McIntosh leave early we would easily sign 30. I think there's a real good chance UM has the #1 class in the country come February.

Additional thoughts. I don't think Fines transfers if both DT's leave. We should also expect one of the Frosh OL to transfer. It happens every year.

Jones, Gray, Martin, Fines, Patchan, Knowles, Shireffs, McCray, Finley, Gordinier, Trey Johnson, Milo, and Mike Smith are all transfer candidates if the coaches really want more spots. 13 potential transfers, 11 open schollys, 9 seniors graduating, 1 leaving for the league. That means if MJ, Norton, and McIntosh leave early we would easily sign 30. I think there's a real good chance UM has the #1 class in the country come February.

Additional thoughts. I don't think Fines transfers if both DT's leave. We should also expect one of the Frosh OL to transfer. It happens every year.

Patchan and Finley ain’t leavin.

Don't think there's any way we sign 30, either. Crazier things have happened, but idk if there are enough targets on the board to get that high regardless how many guys transfer.

Advertisement

Don't think there's any way we sign 30, either. Crazier things have happened, but idk if there are enough targets on the board to get that high regardless how many guys transfer.

I think there's a path to 29 if we land everyone we want right now.

2 CBs - Surtain, Campbell - Maybe add Asante if Jobe de-commits but that's one for one
2 DTs - Goldwire, Briggs/Thompson/anyone else?
1-2 DEs - Chatfield/Carson
0-1 OL - Pete mentioned maybe 1 more if right fit
0-1 WR - Ezzard

2 CBs - Surtain, Campbell - Maybe add Asante if Jobe de-commits but that's one for one
0-1 WR - Ezzard

Would be a dream finish.

Advertisement
Evan or Malik will likely not be back, maybe even both.

Why do you think Malik would leave?

Yeah was essentially shown the door when he was told he would never play and he stayed. I doubt being told he'll lose the job next year would change anything.

And lets not fool ourselves, if Rosier has a good game in the Orange Bowl and the Canes beat Wisconsin, Rosier WILL BE the starter next year. Benching a senior / returning starter that went 11-2 the year before would be an extremely bold and unlikely move.

Yeah was essentially shown the door when he was told he would never play and he stayed. I doubt being told he'll lose the job next year would change anything.

And lets not fool ourselves, if Rosier has a good game in the Orange Bowl and the Canes beat Wisconsin, Rosier WILL BE the starter next year. Benching a senior / returning starter that went 11-2 the year before would be an extremely bold and unlikely move.

I disagree completely. Rosier did not win us most of those games. The defense did. Rosier passed under 50% at each road game besides Duke. Rosier lost us the Pitt game on his own. If Richt can bench him during a game vs a ****** Pitt team with 11-0 on the line, he'll have no problem benching him for a better player the next year.

Last edited:

I highly doubt it'd happen, but if Rosier sucks against Whisky AND loses the spring battle to Perry...it's possible he transfers. He wouldn't have to sit because he'll have graduated.

Advertisement

0-1 WR - Ezzard

Only 6 out of the guys I mentioned would have to transfer to get to 30. Jones, Knowles, Martin, McCray, Milo, and Choc are all serious dead weight. There's always new faces that pop up ala Jeff Thomas last year. 30 might be a stretch I agree. I'm just saying it could happen easily if the staff wants it to happen.

0-1 WR - Ezzard

Only 6 out of the guys I mentioned would have to transfer to get to 30. Jones, Knowles, Martin, McCray, Milo, and Choc are all serious dead weight. There's always new faces that pop up ala Jeff Thomas last year. 30 might be a stretch I agree. I'm just saying it could happen easily if the staff wants it to happen.

Dude Martin is a rs Fr who was under weight when he showed up. At least give him more year before you bury him lol. We knew he was a project

I disagree completely. Rosier did not win us most of those games. The defense did. Rosier passed under 50% at each road game besides Duke. Rosier lost us the Pitt game on his own. If Richt can bench him during a game vs a ****ty Pitt team with 11-0 on the line, he'll have no problem benching him for a better player the next year.

We won a lot of those games in spite of Rosier. Getting turnovers at a unreal rate helped cover up his comp % in the 50's.

I got 4 names on that list that probably won’t be here. Rosier being the 5th if he loses the job

Advertisement
Back