Scholarship Situation

Hurricane Warrior

Retired staff
Premium
By my count we currently have 74 scholarship players not counting walk-ons who may have been awarded scholarships for the year.
We have only 9 Seniors graduating this year.
That leaves us with 65 players with eligibility for 2018 and 20 open spots to give out.
So far Walton is the only player who have declared for the NFL draft early. That gives us 21 total.

We currently have 21 commits.
Every commits from this point on will mean either:
-an early NFL entry
-decommit
-attrition

It looks like we will have at least another 2 players declaring early (Norton, McIntosh).

We also have 10 redshirt Jrs who can graduate and be asked to move on or choose to be a graduate transfer to play else where.
Darrell Langham
Darrion Owens
Dayall Harris
Demetrius Jackson
Gerald Willis III
Jahair Jones
Malik Rosier
Mike Smith
Terry McCray
Trayone Gray

I'm sure some under classmen may opt to transfer for more playing time as well....

Advertisement
RJ and Norton are likely gone. Ja Johnson could possibly leave. Evan or Malik will likely not be back, maybe even both. It will work out in the end.

How is McCray still on the roster? Jones and Terrence should be gone outta that group. Probably Choc also.

Advertisement
I am fairly certain that we are near 70 or 71 right now. Dionte being gone for example.

Norton and Mac just applied to see their draft grade. Well know soon where they stand

Not the number/counting post. Every year someone needs to try to figure it all out.

Advertisement
I saw where the top list11 EE’s. How many of them can we count to last year

If my math is correct 24 signed last year, minus 10 EEs last year = room for 11 EEs this year that may count towards last year's class (25 counters - 24 recruits - 10 EEs = room for 11). I defer to guys like Hurricane Warrior and others who keep better track of this for the details though (since it can also depend on max room in the previous classes and other details I consistently forget).

If my math is correct 24 signed last year, minus 10 EEs last year = room for 11 EEs this year that may count towards last year's class (25 counters - 24 recruits - 10 EEs = room for 11). I defer to guys like Hurricane Warrior and others who keep better track of this for the details though (since it can also depend on max room in the previous classes and other details I consistently forget).

Hard to say without knowing all the details but I'm pretty sure we can sign at least 30-32 this year with no problem. It's not really a numbers things this year in terms of how many we can sign, it's more about how many players will leave to make room under the 85 and how many spots we want to save for next year's class.

Advertisement

Hard to say without knowing all the details but I'm pretty sure we can sign at least 30-32 this year with no problem. It's not really a numbers things this year in terms of how many we can sign, it's more about how many players will leave to make room under the 85 and how many spots we want to save for next year's class.

With the talent coming the next couple years you definitely don’t want to be signing short classes.ill be glad when Richt gets this leveled out so we are back to 20-25 every year

How long does it take for players to receive their draft grades? I'm guessing a week max

If we have 74 and we lose around 16 due to graduation or attrition, that takes us to 58. A class of 27 takes us to 85....assuming they all qualify. Are you anticipating that some of these kids won’t qualify?

Advertisement
Add Tyreic Martin and Ryan Fines to the list of underclassmen that could be shown the wisdom of transferring.

Also there will probably be one or two online underclass man as well, that transfer.

Go Canes

If we have 74 and we lose around 16 due to graduation or attrition, that takes us to 58. A class of 27 takes us to 85....assuming they all qualify. Are you anticipating that some of these kids won’t qualify?

I think it’s as much about the 25 as it is the 85.More so I believe.

I may be wrong but you can only sign OVER 25 IF you have room from the prior years number.You can only go over 25 the amount of scholarships you can push to th EE’s.Thats why I was wondering how many EE’s scholarships we had to use.

So it doesnt matter as much to the 85 number as it does to the 25 plus EE.Warrior is better at this as well as Derek D but I think that’s what it is.

Advertisement
Back