Scholarship Situation

Potential Grad transfers...
Redshirt junior quarterback Malik Rosier was among the players who graduated earning a degree with a major in sociology.

Fellow redshirt juniors Demetrius Jackson (political science), Darrion Owens (sociology), and Jahair Jones (sociology) also graduated.

6_7956333.jpg

Sayonara to Jahair, please.

Advertisement
I’m dying laughing at this thread. Not sure a single person in this thread has an understanding of the NCAA rules around scholarship numbers.

We have 73 players on scholarship if you remove the 2 walkons that were awarded scholarships. What’s important about the walkons is that they both have been on campus for at least 2 academic years, so their scholarships don’t count as initial counters.

The maximum number we can sign this year is 28. 25 that count toward the 2018 class and 3 that count back toward the 2017 class. We will need some attrition to hit that number. Our limit this year is being dictated by the initial counter rules moreso than the 85 scholarship limit.

We get it, but don't laugh at us. We WANT to understand, but the rules are convoluted and even the board "experts" on this stuff can't seem to agree/give us definitive explanations on what the rules are and where we stand. Perhaps we need someone like you to put together a sticky thread with a simple flow chart or bullet point explanation for how to calculate the availability of scholarships for each recruiting class to refer back to each year. At least until they change the rules again...

Help us understand.

TIA

Last edited:
I’m dying laughing at this thread. Not sure a single person in this thread has an understanding of the NCAA rules around scholarship numbers.

We have 73 players on scholarship if you remove the 2 walkons that were awarded scholarships. What’s important about the walkons is that they both have been on campus for at least 2 academic years, so their scholarships don’t count as initial counters.

The maximum number we can sign this year is 28. 25 that count toward the 2018 class and 3 that count back toward the 2017 class. We will need some attrition to hit that number. Our limit this year is being dictated by the initial counter rules moreso than the 85 scholarship limit.

We get it, but don't laugh at us. We WANT to understand, but the rules are convoluted and even the board "experts" on this stuff can't seem to agree/give us definitive explanations on what the rules are and where we stand. Perhaps we need someone like you to put together a sticky thread with a simple flow chart or bullet point explanation for how to calculate the availability of scholarships for each recruiting class to refer back to each year. At least until they change the rules again...

Help us understand.

TIA

Don't worry about it, and the newfound snobbery of Canes 1968, a few months ago he had never heard of the IC rules and I had to teach him everything he now knows.

Here's the thing. The rules are not the real issue, there are some basic rules and a few exceptions (mid-year graduate "replacement" rule, for example). The ONE THING that we really don't know for certain, because we do not have the actual NCAA certification documents in front of us, is how many guys in the prior class were actually "counted forward". Until we can establish that, with certainty, we don't know exactly how many in this year's class can "count forward".

The real joke, in all of this, involves the idiot posters who want to point to this school or that school (from years ago) who signed more than 25 guys. These are the guys who have NO IDEA what they are talking about, all they do is go to the Rivals signing list and assume that every name on the list was enrolled the very next semester. Which...the reasonable people know is simply not true.

Richt could sign 100 guys. The key is how many actually ENROLL.

Even the "expert" Canes 1968, when he stops looking down his nose at everyone, has no idea how many guys from the prior class were able to be counted in the prior class. He will TRY to dazzle you by going back 5 years, in a desperate attempt to dazzle you with his fraudulent knowledge, but as I have pointed out before, when Miami self-imposed scholarship reductions, we also reduced our IC numbers. So even the people who like to point out that the final NCAA sanctions did not include IC reductions, that doesn't mean we didn't take IC reductions in prior years. We did.

We can take 25, and maybe a couple more due to early enrollees (yes, there is a max cap of 5, no matter what other circumstances apply) and/or the mid-year graduate replacement exception.

If you want to know how close we will be, due to the IC rules, take note of how many guys we have PUBLICLY offered preferred walk-on roles. It's one thing to do this in May, it's quite another to do it in December. If any of them pan out, we can give them scholarships in a couple of years.

25-27. If I was a betting fiend, I'd put money on it.

Help us understand.

TIA

Don't worry about it, and the newfound snobbery of Canes 1968, a few months ago he had never heard of the IC rules and I had to teach him everything he now knows.

Here's the thing. The rules are not the real issue, there are some basic rules and a few exceptions (mid-year graduate "replacement" rule, for example). The ONE THING that we really don't know for certain, because we do not have the actual NCAA certification documents in front of us, is how many guys in the prior class were actually "counted forward". Until we can establish that, with certainty, we don't know exactly how many in this year's class can "count forward".

The real joke, in all of this, involves the idiot posters who want to point to this school or that school (from years ago) who signed more than 25 guys. These are the guys who have NO IDEA what they are talking about, all they do is go to the Rivals signing list and assume that every name on the list was enrolled the very next semester. Which...the reasonable people know is simply not true.

Even the "expert" Canes 1968, when he stops looking down his nose at everyone, has no idea how many guys from the prior class were able to be counted in the prior class. He will TRY to dazzle you by going back 5 years, in a desperate attempt to dazzle you with his fraudulent knowledge, but as I have pointed out before, when Miami self-imposed scholarship reductions, we also reduced our IC numbers. So even the people who like to point out that the final NCAA sanctions did not include IC reductions, that doesn't mean we didn't take IC reductions in prior years. We did.

We can take 25, and maybe a couple more due to early enrollees (yes, there is a max cap of 5, no matter what other circumstances apply) and/or the mid-year graduate replacement exception.

If you want to know how close we will be, due to the IC rules, take note of how many guys we have PUBLICLY offered preferred walk-on roles. It's one thing to do this in May, it's quite another to do it in December. If any of them pan out, we can give them scholarships in a couple of years.

Thanks for providing some insight. You seem to know about this kind of stuff so I'll ask, What happens to players that graduate but still have eligibility? Do they have to enroll in Master's programs in order to stay as a student athlete? I understand that their scholarships still count to their respective classes as long as they are on the team, but what are they doing for school if they don't want to get a graduate degree?

Help us understand.

TIA

Good answer, thanks. So max class size, forgetting the 85 number, would be 30 (25+5), but only if you had 5 spots left to “carry forward” from the previous year via early enrollees. Right?

Thanks again, good explanation, readily understandable.

Advertisement

Help us understand.

TIA

Thanks for providing some insight. You seem to know about this kind of stuff so I'll ask, What happens to players that graduate but still have eligibility? Do they have to enroll in Master's programs in order to stay as a student athlete? I understand that their scholarships still count to their respective classes as long as they are on the team, but what are they doing for school if they don't want to get a graduate degree?

Yes, if you have NCAA athletic eligibility remaining, but you have graduated with a bachelor's degree, you must enroll in a graduate program if you want to continue to play. You cannot play without being enrolled in classes of some sort towards a degree. You can't just keep taking "more undergrad classes" if you have graduated. You don't have to finish the graduate degree, but you must start working on it to play.

One possible solution if you are getting close to graduation, but do not want to go to grad school, would be to add or change a major. So, if you were a finance major, you are getting close to finishing all your classes, but you have a chance to do something like a 6th year medical redshirt, you could potentially add another major, such as marketing, and thus keep taking undergrad classes while double-majoring.

Help us understand.

TIA

Good answer, thanks. So max class size, forgetting the 85 number, would be 30 (25+5), but only if you had 5 spots left to “carry forward” from the previous year via early enrollees. Right?

Thanks again, good explanation, readily understandable.

Yes, you are correct. Maybe some school "signed" 32, but then only enrolled 30. Maybe someone didn't qualify, maybe someone grayshirted. It is hard to know. It is even possible that one of those guys filled a spot vacated by a graduating senior in December, and thus can count backwards.

Here's the thing...if anyone EVER maxes out above 25, that's usually the only time they can do so, as they would have likely maxed out all of their ability to count IC's backwards. Also, I would be willing to bet that any team that exceeds 25 will be signing a few JuCos in the mix. It is very hard to take more than 25 freshmen because, if you do, then when they all graduate, you will be trying to replace an extra large class.

If you want to manage the numbers effectively, you need to shoot for around 25 signees each year, and have no more than about 8 or 9 losses due to attrition over the years that each recruiting class is enrolled. It's easier to have a kid leave 1 year early for the NFL than it is to lose a bunch of kids after only 1 or 2 years.

Lots of posters act like every sub-par kid who leaves is "another available scholarship", but if you have too many of those, it is hard to make up for the losses due to the IC rules each year. It's easy to stay under the 85 overall scholarship total, it's much harder to manage the IC rules each year.

Do people not realize there is now a hard cap of 25 scholarships per year as part of the new recruiting rules?

No more backcounting EEs, grayshirting, or etc.

We can sign 25, that's it. This is why we're being so picky with the remaining spots.

This is false. EEs can still be counted back to the prior year, as long as you have room under the prior year’s 25 limit, and the 85 roster limit. This 25 cap effectively just eliminates greyshirts and blue shirts.

Here is a post I made back in June in the Class of 2018 thread:

We should be able to sign up to 33 players (minus any transfers in) if we can make enough room on the 85 man roster. My guess is still between 25-27 due to the small number of graduating seniors (10). We will need to lose a player with eligibility for every player we sign from this point on.

We have 11 Redshirt Juniors that will be asked to move on if they graduate and can't contribute or may transfer to get more playing time after this year:
O: 5 (Rosier, Gray, Harris, Langham, Jones)
D: 6 (Willis, Jackson, Owens, Smith, McCray, Mayes)

There are currently 23 players who are scheduled to graduate after the 2018 season, many will be gone before then but I would expect full classes for the next 2 classes.

2018 25 + 8 = 33 possible signees with 8 EE counting towards 2017.
2017 25 new players with 10 EE of which 8 counted for 2016 leaving open 8.
2016 22 new players with 5 EE of which 5 counted towards 2015 leaving open 8.

2015 22 new players with 5 EE of which 4 counted towards 2014 leaving open 7 spots
2014 27 new players with 6 EE counting towards 2013 leaving 4 open spots
2013 17 new players with 2 EE but no room from previous class leaving 8 open spots for 2014
2012 32 new players with 7 EE counting towards 2011
2011 19 new players

I still think we can sign up to 33 if we wanted to but but will need to make room on the 85 roster. This will not make much sense as we will be limited in how many we sign next year and 2020. I would expect a full class of 25 at the point meaning we will need to make room for 4 more players based on my calculations.

False. Your analysis is wrong. Plain and simple.

Advertisement

Help us understand.

TIA

LOL...you got owned in that thread by DD and went running once you realized you didn’t know jack **** about the transfer rules.

Do people not realize there is now a hard cap of 25 scholarships per year as part of the new recruiting rules?

We can sign 25, that's it. This is why we're being so picky with the remaining spots.

This is false. EEs can still be counted back to the prior year, as long as you have room under the prior year’s 25 limit, and the 85 roster limit. This 25 cap effectively just eliminates greyshirts and blue shirts.

You're 100% wrong on this. Quit referring to old rules, things have changed. This is literally discussed on every recruiting site.

You can sign 25. That's it.

You'll figure out you're wrong on NSD when nobody has a class of more than 25. Actually you probably won't, you'll just complain about Miami only signing 25, since you're not understanding the new recruiting reality

Advertisement
Why haven't we tried to move Darrell Langham to TE I think his too slow to be a WR

He was lined up at TE vs Clemson. He had a pass hit his hands and go for an INT.

He's not a TE because he sucks at blocking. He can you have a TE who can't block? He's a possession WR

You're 100% wrong on this. Quit referring to old rules, things have changed. This is literally discussed on every recruiting site.

You'll figure out you're wrong on NSD when nobody has a class of more than 25. Actually you probably won't, you'll just complain about Miami only signing 25, since you're not understanding the new recruiting reality

lol no. The only way we sign 25 is if we ***** up massively and miss on several of our targets and plan bs.

We have 21 commits. Take jobe out, we have 20 commits.
17 of those commits are signing early. The other 3 are Silvera, blades, and baxa. We're not telling our best dt commit, a fu&&&King Blades, or our only schollie kicker to take a hike.

So now we have 20 kids in the class. We have offers to goldwire, Carson, Thompson, chatfield, meadows, Samuel, Campbell, and surtain and maybe ezzard. We ain't saying no to any of them. We even have backup plans in case those tier 1 kids say no like bethel, goss, and smith.

The class will max out at 26-29.

Why haven't we tried to move Darrell Langham to TE I think his too slow to be a WR

He was lined up at TE vs Clemson. He had a pass hit his hands and go for an INT.

He's not a TE because he sucks at blocking. He can you have a TE who can't block? He's a possession WR

I don’t think that was TE from an alignment standpoint. He was lined up in the slot where Herndon normally plays.

Advertisement

You just doubled down on being dumb bro.

Im pretty sure you're wrong. Unless this rule started this year, quite a few teams had 26-28 guys last year

Im pretty sure you're wrong. Unless this rule started this year, quite a few teams had 26-28 guys last year

There is a new rule for this year that you can only sign 25 in each class, but that rule does not apply to EEs.

Langham best position is on the bench, I'll never forget the FSU & GT performances tho

Advertisement
Back