Scholarship Situation

Evan or Malik will likely not be back, maybe even both.

Why do you think Malik would leave?

Yeah was essentially shown the door when he was told he would never play and he stayed. I doubt being told he'll lose the job next year would change anything.

And lets not fool ourselves, if Rosier has a good game in the Orange Bowl and the Canes beat Wisconsin, Rosier WILL BE the starter next year. Benching a senior / returning starter that went 11-2 the year before would be an extremely bold and unlikely move.

Because he didn’t win us those games and he played like complete **** agiasmt Pitt and Clemson. It’ll be an open competition come spring time to give Perry and Williams a chance. If Shirreffs gets passed by one of the guys I’d imagine he’d transfer. Though he could stay just to get the degree and be on the team and ride the wave. If Rosier gets beat I’d imagine he’d leave as well. Though he could stay and try to win the job back in the fall

Advertisement
I saw where the top list11 EE’s. How many of them can we count to last year

If my math is correct 24 signed last year, minus 10 EEs last year = room for 11 EEs this year that may count towards last year's class (25 counters - 24 recruits - 10 EEs = room for 11). I defer to guys like Hurricane Warrior and others who keep better track of this for the details though (since it can also depend on max room in the previous classes and other details I consistently forget).

Hard to say without knowing all the details but I'm pretty sure we can sign at least 30-32 this year with no problem. It's not really a numbers things this year in terms of how many we can sign, it's more about how many players will leave to make room under the 85 and how many spots we want to save for next year's class.

If we have 74 and we lose around 16 due to graduation or attrition, that takes us to 58. A class of 27 takes us to 85....assuming they all qualify. Are you anticipating that some of these kids won’t qualify?

I think it’s as much about the 25 as it is the 85.More so I believe.

I may be wrong but you can only sign OVER 25 IF you have room from the prior years number.You can only go over 25 the amount of scholarships you can push to th EE’s.Thats why I was wondering how many EE’s scholarships we had to use.

So it doesnt matter as much to the 85 number as it does to the 25 plus EE.Warrior is better at this as well as Derek D but I think that’s what it is.

IIRC we have around ten spots that can count to the fall of '17. That requires January kids however. If we have ten kids enroll early, that will create plenty of room for signing.

I've said all along, the 25 isn't the issue. And we won't have an issue on the 85 either.

Richt won't go over 27, IMO, but it's because he's trying to manage the roster and save room for next year.

We'll probably play at around 81 kids on scholarship next year. We had 73 this year and it was way too low.

Yeah... I don't see him leaving. Even if he loses the starting job... this past season has proven that we are one play away from "next man up".

Exactly. I hope neither one leaves. If nothing else, they can be roll models for the younger, more talented players.

We're at 71 removing Walton and Mullins. With 9 seniors completing their eligibility, we now have a shortage of 23. Let's be real here folks. Richt can sign 30 if he wishes as several underclassmen will be moving on...

I am fairly certain that we are near 70 or 71 right now. Dionte being gone for example.

I already accounted for him. We are at 74.
25 FRs
19 Sos
21 Jrs
9 Srs

Advertisement

Yeah... I don't see him leaving. Even if he loses the starting job... this past season has proven that we are one play away from "next man up".

Exactly. I hope neither one leaves. If nothing else, they can be roll models for the younger, more talented players.

I don't hope either of them leaves but seeing how easy Richt was at pulling Malik out I just don't see him sitting through another year of mediocre QB play. I think Perry or Weldon will win it out and Malik being a 5th year senior might leave for playing time. Evan is a good kid, like him a lot and hope he stays as well, but he doesn't need to step on the field here ever again unless it's in mop up duty.

I’m dying laughing at this thread. Not sure a single person in this thread has an understanding of the NCAA rules around scholarship numbers.

We have 73 players on scholarship if you remove the 2 walkons that were awarded scholarships. What’s important about the walkons is that they both have been on campus for at least 2 academic years, so their scholarships don’t count as initial counters.

The maximum number we can sign this year is 28. 25 that count toward the 2018 class and 3 that count back toward the 2017 class. We will need some attrition to hit that number. Our limit this year is being dictated by the initial counter rules moreso than the 85 scholarship limit.

There is plenty of room with the attrition that must take place this offseason. Need to upgrade the roster from a numbers and talent standpoint. There are still several guys on the roster who shouldn't be at UM.

Advertisement

For Initial Counter purposes, the maximum number of early enrollees who can count back to the prior year is FIVE. And that is assuming you even have the spots available to count back.

I’m dying laughing at this thread. Not sure a single person in this thread has an understanding of the NCAA rules around scholarship numbers.

We have 73 players on scholarship if you remove the 2 walkons that were awarded scholarships. What’s important about the walkons is that they both have been on campus for at least 2 academic years, so their scholarships don’t count as initial counters.

The maximum number we can sign this year is 28. 25 that count toward the 2018 class and 3 that count back toward the 2017 class. We will need some attrition to hit that number. Our limit this year is being dictated by the initial counter rules moreso than the 85 scholarship limit.

But we didnt sign a full class last year either, and we had early enrollees to count against the previous years, so why only 3 back to the 17 class?

But we didnt sign a full class last year either, and we had early enrollees to count against the previous years, so why only 3 back to the 17 class?

Because only a couple EE’s from last year could be counted back toward 2016, plus we brought in Dee Delaney as a grad transfer which counts against the 2017 initial counters. I believe the numbers were, we signed 24 and counted 3 back to 2016 but added Delaney, which put us at 22 for 2017. That leaves 3 spots.

For Initial Counter purposes, the maximum number of early enrollees who can count back to the prior year is FIVE. And that is assuming you even have the spots available to count back.

I’m not sure this is true. If it were, it would be impossible for anybody to sign over 30, and I know that’s been done before.

Advertisement

I’m not sure this is true. If it were, it would be impossible for anybody to sign over 30, and I know that’s been done before.

We signed 32 in 2008

Here is a post I made back in June in the Class of 2018 thread:

We should be able to sign up to 33 players (minus any transfers in) if we can make enough room on the 85 man roster. My guess is still between 25-27 due to the small number of graduating seniors (10). We will need to lose a player with eligibility for every player we sign from this point on.

We have 11 Redshirt Juniors that will be asked to move on if they graduate and can't contribute or may transfer to get more playing time after this year:
O: 5 (Rosier, Gray, Harris, Langham, Jones)
D: 6 (Willis, Jackson, Owens, Smith, McCray, Mayes)

There are currently 23 players who are scheduled to graduate after the 2018 season, many will be gone before then but I would expect full classes for the next 2 classes.

2018 25 + 8 = 33 possible signees with 8 EE counting towards 2017.
2017 25 new players with 10 EE of which 8 counted for 2016 leaving open 8.
2016 22 new players with 5 EE of which 5 counted towards 2015 leaving open 8.

2015 22 new players with 5 EE of which 4 counted towards 2014 leaving open 7 spots
2014 27 new players with 6 EE counting towards 2013 leaving 4 open spots
2013 17 new players with 2 EE but no room from previous class leaving 8 open spots for 2014
2012 32 new players with 7 EE counting towards 2011
2011 19 new players

I still think we can sign up to 33 if we wanted to but but will need to make room on the 85 roster. This will not make much sense as we will be limited in how many we sign next year and 2020. I would expect a full class of 25 at the point meaning we will need to make room for 4 more players based on my calculations.

Last edited:
Here is another post from earlier this year that I updated:

I think we will sign another full class of 25-26 kids in 2018.

Richt mentioned that we should have 41 on offense, 41 on defense and 2-3 for specials.

We currently have 75 players on Scholarship for 2017.
-36 on Offense and 36 on Defense and 3 Special teams.

So we start with 10 scholarships.

Seniors (9):
O: 5 (Berios, Herndon, McDermott, Darling)
D: 3 (Moten, Thomas, Harris, Delaney)
S: 1 (Badgley)

1/24/17 - Gus Edwards transfers(Rutgers)
2/3/17 - Courtel Jenkins transfers (Houston)
5/23/17 - Sunny Odogwu transfers (UCLA)
8/7/17 - Nick Linder transfers ()

This will give us 9 more scholarships for 2018.
10+9=19

Redshirt Juniors (10): (Asked to move on if they can't contribute or may transfer to start somewhere else)
O: 5 (Rosier, Gray, Harris, Langham, Jones)
D: 5 (Willis, D. Jackson, Owens, Smith, McCray)

7/13/17 - Gerald Willis take leave of absence
7/27/17 - Ryan Mayes leaves team ()

My guess is we will lose at least 4-5 of these guys.
19+4=23

Early NFL Entry: (guys who may be good or dumb enough to declare if they have a good season)
O: 1 (Walton)
D: 2 (McIntosh, Norton)

12/5/17 - Mark Walton enters the NFL draft

With our luck we will lose 3 guys...
23+3=26

Attrition: (Guys who get passed up or get messed up)
Jeff James 4/23/17
Jack Allison 4/25/17
Jovani Haskins 6/13/17
Terrance Henley 7/5/17
Dionte Mullins 11/6/17

Some of the guys mentioned above will be a part of the attrition for sure as they may not see a future at the U or get in trouble before they graduate. But we will most likely have another 2-3 underclassmen in addition to the players above who get kicked off the team or leave for various reason.

26+2=28 Total spots available for STORM18:

We need:
1 QB: Williams (Should pick up at least one solid QB every class) - DONE
3 RB: Lingard, Davis, George (Will need 2 RBs and 1 FB in the class) - DONE
4 WR: Wiggins, Hightower, Pope (should pick up 3-4) - 1 More
2 TE: Jordan, Mallory (will need 2 in this class) - DONE
4 OL: Scaife, Reed, Campbell (Will need 4-5 to replace the graduating seniors)

3 DT: Silvera (Will need at least 3 depending on who leaves)
2 DE: Rousseau (Stacked but should pick up 2 more to replace Thomas & Trent)
2 LB: Joyner (Should pick up at least 2 in every class, can replace based on attrition)
4 CB: Frierson, Ivey, Blades (Stack up with such a strong class)
2 S: Hall, Jobe? (2 Elite Safties)

1 K: Baxa (Need to replace Badgley) - DONE

Total: 28 (14 Off, 13 Def, 1 ST)

Attrition since last season:
10/10/16 - Sam Bruce kicked off team (Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.)
11/23/16 - Hunter Knighton transfers (Tulane)
12/16/16 - Brendan Loftus transfers (Samford)
1/2/17 - Brad Kaya enters the NFL Draft (6th round 215th Pick, Lions)
1/3/17 - David Njoku enters the NFL draft (1st Round, 29th pick, Browns)
1/3/17 - Joseph Yearby enters the NFL Draft (Undrafted Free Agent)
1/24/17 - Gus Edwards transfers(Rutgers)
2/3/17 - Courtel Jenkins transfers (Houston)
2/20/17 - Cedrick Wright to transfer ()
4/23/17 - Jeff James transfers (Copiah-Lincoln Community College)
4/25/17 - Jack Allison transfers (UWV)
5/23/17 - Sunny Odogwu transfers (UCLA)
6/13/17 - Jovani Haskins leaves team (UWV)
7/5/17 - Terrance Henley leaves team (Southern Illinois)
7/13/17 - Gerald Willis take leave of absence
7/27/17 - Ryan Mayes leaves team ()
8/7/17 - Nick Linder leaves team
11/6/17 - Dionte Mullins leaves team
12/5/17 - Mark Walton enters the NFL draft

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do people not realize there is now a hard cap of 25 scholarships per year as part of the new recruiting rules?

No more backcounting EEs, grayshirting, or etc.

We can sign 25, that's it. This is why we're being so picky with the remaining spots.

Do people not realize there is now a hard cap of 25 scholarships per year as part of the new recruiting rules?

No more backcounting EEs, grayshirting, or etc.

We can sign 25, that's it. This is why we're being so picky with the remaining spots.

Kind of important. Can anyone confirm this?

Potential Grad transfers...
Redshirt junior quarterback Malik Rosier was among the players who graduated earning a degree with a major in sociology.

Fellow redshirt juniors Demetrius Jackson (political science), Darrion Owens (sociology), and Jahair Jones (sociology) also graduated.

6_7956333.jpg

Advertisement
Back