Scholarship rumor

How does one "open up" all those extra scholarships when 20 this year puts us at the 85 limit?

Guys leave every year. Kids can take their diploma and go home with eligibility remaining if they're not part of the staffs plans. Some kid 'retires' due to injury. Someone violates a team rule and is asked to go. Someone else has academic challenges and transfers. Someone transfers for PT. Maybe someone transfers because it's just not the right environment for them. Often (not this year), someone goes pro. There are a bunch of kids on our team who *could* wind up in this situation.

The thing people mistake when discussing it is they act like it's some black/white issue -- AG knows which kids are in danger of failing out, which kids can't heal from their injuries, which kids will never play and might want to transfer to a better place for them. He knows which kids will be additive on the practice squad and which won't. Which kids smoke too much pot. He's doubtlessly talked to the kids involved more than once. When spring practice is done, some kids will just up and leave. You can bank on it.

The list *might* include one or more of the following:

--Seniors: Cornileus, Cain
--Kids buried on the depth chart: R. Williams, King, Wells, Perry, D. Jones
--Kid with injury who may want to concentrate on BB: D. Thompson

Advertisement
No one said anything about him not being at fault. Only that, there was nothing that was so bad that Golden had no choice but to kick him off. If Golden wanted him back, he would probably still be here.

so you know everything has happened? are you part of the coaching staff?

if Paul was pushed out, why did he tweet saying he thanks the university for its support as he leaves to pursue degree elsewhere?

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. Gianni Paul didn't do anything wrong. Was never suspended or anything, and yet he's gone. Meanwhile, RaShawn Scott gets suspended indefinitely and is now back on the team. Once again, you guys don't seem to understand that things like this happen and it isn't always done so in a negative way. There's ways of doing it where no one has to look like the bad guy.

Huh? Al Golden basically said that Gionni was really ******* up: > As for linebacker and third-leading tackler Gionni Paul, who mutually parted ways with the program last week, Golden said: "It wasn't going in the right direction. We've decided a change would be best. Right now we're trying to find Gionni a new home and get a fresh start and move forward."

Golden wouldn't run him off the team unless he really ****ed up, which I am guessing he did. GP was a guy Golden jizzed himself over on signing day 2011, and started games here as only a redshirt-freshman. GP was a guy Golden talked about more on that first signing day than any other recruit. He wasn't great but he clearly had the potential to develop and turn into a solid LB here. I don't doubt that AG finds ways for kids to leave the program, but I really doubt that GP was one of them. The kid messed up big-time somehow.

No one said anything about him not being at fault. Only that, there was nothing that was so bad that Golden had no choice but to kick him off. If Golden wanted him back, he would probably still be here.

if Paul was pushed out, why did he tweet saying he thanks the university for its support as he leaves to pursue degree elsewhere?

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. Gianni Paul didn't do anything wrong. Was never suspended or anything, and yet he's gone. Meanwhile, RaShawn Scott gets suspended indefinitely and is now back on the team. Once again, you guys don't seem to understand that things like this happen and it isn't always done so in a negative way. There's ways of doing it where no one has to look like the bad guy.

Huh? Al Golden basically said that Gionni was really ******* up: > As for linebacker and third-leading tackler Gionni Paul, who mutually parted ways with the program last week, Golden said: "It wasn't going in the right direction. We've decided a change would be best. Right now we're trying to find Gionni a new home and get a fresh start and move forward."

Golden wouldn't run him off the team unless he really ****ed up, which I am guessing he did. GP was a guy Golden jizzed himself over on signing day 2011, and started games here as only a redshirt-freshman. GP was a guy Golden talked about more on that first signing day than any other recruit. He wasn't great but he clearly had the potential to develop and turn into a solid LB here. I don't doubt that AG finds ways for kids to leave the program, but I really doubt that GP was one of them. The kid messed up big-time somehow.

Again though, how bad did he actually **** up if he was never even suspended? Seantrel had quite a few **** ups as well, but ultimately, they felt they wanted him around. Plenty of other guys have been suspended at times for "violation of team rules." Then they're right back. Finnie was suspended, before being let go. Scott was suspended indefinitely, before being let back on. Jeffrey Brown was only indefinitely suspended for raping a *****, before finally being let go. Sorry, but whatever Gionni Paul did, it couldn't have been worse than raping a chick. Unless Gionni cold-clocked Golden in the face one time, I can't see a situation where his ****up was so massive that he didn't get a suspension first, when a guy who raped a chick did.

The "we've decided a change would be best" is the quintessential "mutual" break up line that's almost always used. Which is really short for, "we don't really want you to come back, but we're gonna play it nice to make it look like it's both of our decisions."

How does one "open up" all those extra scholarships when 20 this year puts us at the 85 limit?

Guys leave every year. Kids can take their diploma and go home with eligibility remaining if they're not part of the staffs plans. Some kid 'retires' due to injury. Someone violates a team rule and is asked to go. Someone else has academic challenges and transfers. Someone transfers for PT. Maybe someone transfers because it's just not the right environment for them. Often (not this year), someone goes pro. There are a bunch of kids on our team who *could* wind up in this situation.

The thing people mistake when discussing it is they act like it's some black/white issue -- AG knows which kids are in danger of failing out, which kids can't heal from their injuries, which kids will never play and might want to transfer to a better place for them. He knows which kids will be additive on the practice squad and which won't. Which kids smoke too much pot. He's doubtlessly talked to the kids involved more than once. When spring practice is done, some kids will just up and leave. You can bank on it.

Are you already writing D'mauri Jones off as only a redshirt freshman?

Advertisement

Are you already writing D'mauri Jones off as only a redshirt freshman?

I wrote him off before he arrived, so at least I'm consistent.

Huh? Al Golden basically said that Gionni was really ****ing up: > As for linebacker and third-leading tackler Gionni Paul, who mutually parted ways with the program last week, Golden said: "It wasn't going in the right direction. We've decided a change would be best. Right now we're trying to find Gionni a new home and get a fresh start and move forward."

Again though, how bad did he actually **** up if he was never even suspended? Seantrel had quite a few **** ups as well, but ultimately, they felt they wanted him around. Plenty of other guys have been suspended at times for "violation of team rules." Then they're right back. Finnie was suspended, before being let go. Scott was suspended indefinitely, before being let back on. Jeffrey Brown was only indefinitely suspended for raping a ****, before finally being let go. Sorry, but whatever Gionni Paul did, it couldn't have been worse than raping a chick. Unless Gionni cold-clocked Golden in the face one time, I can't see a situation where his ****up was so massive that he didn't get a suspension first, when a guy who raped a chick did.

The "we've decided a change would be best" is the quintessential "mutual" break up line that's almost always used. Which is really short for, "we don't really want you to come back, but we're gonna play it nice to make it look like it's both of our decisions."

Obviously he ****ed up pretty badly if he got kicked off the team. It makes literally no sense for Golden to kick him off the team otherwise. We also don't know about whether he was suspended for a while after the season ended or not, and continued ******* up. Only reason people knew about Finnie was because he actually got arrested and Rashawn because it happened during the season. Paul was a guy Golden loved coming out of HS and he played a ton as a redshirt freshman. He ****ed up big time and got let go. He also may have been a guy Golden was hounding about doing better, and Paul got sick of it and decided to leave. I don't know why you're making it more complicated than it is. Literally nothing about GP's playing ability says that he is not good enough to play here. He's not Andrew Tallman.

Last edited:
Unless we are talkin bout difference makers outside the remaining kids we have discussed and/or a position of absolute deficiency such as a kicker, I don't see us a giving out any more schollys with the haul available in 14.

Unless we are talkin bout difference makers outside the remaining kids we have discussed and/or a position of absolute deficiency such as a kicker, I don't see us a giving out any more schollys with the haul available in 14.

We'll have room in '14.

They're going to get back to a regular 22--24 kids pattern.

Advertisement

Huh? Al Golden basically said that Gionni was really ****ing up: > As for linebacker and third-leading tackler Gionni Paul, who mutually parted ways with the program last week, Golden said: "It wasn't going in the right direction. We've decided a change would be best. Right now we're trying to find Gionni a new home and get a fresh start and move forward."

Again though, how bad did he actually **** up if he was never even suspended? Seantrel had quite a few **** ups as well, but ultimately, they felt they wanted him around. Plenty of other guys have been suspended at times for "violation of team rules." Then they're right back. Finnie was suspended, before being let go. Scott was suspended indefinitely, before being let back on. Jeffrey Brown was only indefinitely suspended for raping a ****, before finally being let go. Sorry, but whatever Gionni Paul did, it couldn't have been worse than raping a chick. Unless Gionni cold-clocked Golden in the face one time, I can't see a situation where his ****up was so massive that he didn't get a suspension first, when a guy who raped a chick did.

Obviously he ****ed up pretty badly if he got kicked off the team. It makes literally no sense for Golden to kick him off the team otherwise. We also don't know about whether he was suspended for a while after the season ended or not, and continued ******* up. Only reason people knew about Finnie was because he actually got arrested and Rashawn because it happened during the season. Paul was a guy Golden loved coming out of HS and he played a ton as a redshirt freshman. He ****ed up big time and got let go. He also may have been a guy Golden was hounding about doing better, and Paul got sick of it and decided to leave. I don't know why you're making it more complicated than it is. Literally nothing about GP's playing ability says that he is not good enough to play here. He's not Andrew Tallman.

So he ****ed up so bad that he thanked the school for all their support in kicking him off the team? Doubtful. He ****ed up enough to where he became dispensable and he can be pushed out without any ill will.

Obviously he ****ed up pretty badly if he got kicked off the team. It makes literally no sense for Golden to kick him off the team otherwise. We also don't know about whether he was suspended for a while after the season ended or not, and continued ****ing up. Only reason people knew about Finnie was because he actually got arrested and Rashawn because it happened during the season. Paul was a guy Golden loved coming out of HS and he played a ton as a redshirt freshman. He ****ed up big time and got let go. He also may have been a guy Golden was hounding about doing better, and Paul got sick of it and decided to leave. I don't know why you're making it more complicated than it is. Literally nothing about GP's playing ability says that he is not good enough to play here. He's not Andrew Tallman.

So he ****ed up so bad that he thanked the school for all their support in kicking him off the team? Doubtful. He ****ed up enough to where he became dispensable and he can be pushed out without any ill will.

Who ******* knows dude? It's pretty clear that Golden pushed him out because he messed up. Not because he sucked at football. That makes zero sense.

So what the **** exactly are you arguing? My point in all of this is that Golden has(and will continue to) pushed kids out when he wants to make room. I never said anything about how good, Paul is or isn't. The fact is, if we want more kids, more room will be made. It's the people who wanna act like Golden is Mother Teresa that don't seem to understand that.

So what the **** exactly are you arguing? My point in all of this is that Golden has(and will continue to) pushed kids out when he wants to make room. I never said anything about how good, Paul is or isn't. The fact is, if we want more kids, more room will be made. It's the people who wanna act like Golden is Mother Teresa that don't seem to understand that.

I'm saying that Paul pretty clearly ****ed up while you claimed he did nothing wrong. IF he was forced out when he did "nothing wrong" then it has to be because of his football skills. He pretty clearly did something wrong. Golden essentially said as much.

Last edited:
Advertisement
yeah they wouldn't boot gionni specifically unless he was really messing up. who knows what happened... but dude almost certainly would have been a starter next year as a true junior. i don't think they thought he couldn't play.

chicken's overall point is right tho. golden has nudged out plenty of dead weight and every coach in the country does it. it's no big deal and it doesn't make him a bad person or coach.

golden hasn't nudged out any dead weight that wasn't an issue in some way. whether it be repeatedly violating team rules, arrest, grades, etc.
what franchise has said, mostly.
we will sign around 21-22, be at or around 85, and yes, 1-2 will leave over the summer and maybe 1-2 recruits won't enroll and we will prob start the season around 79-81. that's been the MO.

Advertisement
Paul was dismissed from the team for multiple and repeated violations of team and school rules.

Advertisement
Back