Scholarship rumor

I don't care who already left. When signing day rolls around, we will only be able to sign a certain number without going over 85. There's no way we will sign over the 85 number and then hope someone leaves, and Al isn't about cutting good quality kids for no good reason despite what the fans want him to do.

It's easy math. We won't go over 85, and I doubt there will be any defections from the roster between now and Feb 6th.

Not true. Most of those kids won't be here until after the spring semester, so we wouldn't be over the 85 limit. They could weed more guys out after spring ball and make room.

Is it your opinion that you can have more than 85 kids on scholarship as long as practice hasn't started yet? Once a player signs that LOI he is guaranteed a scholarship for 1 year, so that LOI is basically a scholarship. I don't know how you get around that. I just don't see GolDon going over the 85 limit and then running guys off. He's had many chances to run guys off that the fans wanted run off and hasn't done it. We shall see how it works out, but if I'm betting on it, I bet that he stays at or below the 85 limit during this signing period.

No, LOI is not a scholarship. It's a promise. But things happen. Like guys not being able to enroll and having to attend prep school, which happens to us every year. Other guys may get in trouble or something else happens that they never end up attending that school. Those guys don't count as a scholarship. They don't count against your numbers until they are actually enrolled and at the school.

And yes, he has run guys off. Just ask Andrew Tallman. There was definitely a few more as well. I'm not saying this is gonna happen now, but it pretty much happens every year. Especially if you have a guy who already has his degree and won't be contributing anything going forward.

I understand that it doesn't "officially" count against the numbers until the guy enrolls. But the LOI is a promise of a scholarship for a year, so if the guy is qualified he'll count. It's super risky to assume that guys won't qualify or that guys will want to leave. That's like writing checks hoping you have money in your account when the guy shows up to cash the check.

I don't take Al as a guy who is willing to take chances ruining relationships with HS corches. I don't remember Al running Andrew Tallman off. And I didn't see you list anyone else. So, I'm pretty comfortable I'm right in thinking he's not a guy who runs off players in good standing.

Andrew Tallman most certainly got run off. His brother went on a huge rant on CT premium boards about it. Are you telling me that Gianni Paul didn't just get run off? Last I checked, he never got arrested for anything, nor did he fail out of class. So it wasn't some administrative decision, like in the case with Finnie. He was no longer a part of their plans. Jamal Reid? It isn't always something terrible when it happens. The majority of times it's with kids who have their degrees already, but aren't in their plans going forward. Sometimes it's just as easy as letting a guy know that he has no chance of getting playing time, and the coaches would be more than happy to help them find a new home, as to give the player the feeling that the decision was "mutual."

You guys really need to stop acting like Al Golden is some Jesus reincarnate, feeding the poor and curing the sick in his spare time. This is a business. **** like this happens all the **** time. It doesn't make him "dirty" in any way by doing so. They can push kids off the team, just as a kid can decide he doesn't wanna be there anymore.

Advertisement
Golden has gotten rid of plenty of guys with eligibility remaining. Now he may have handled it in a stand up way, but he has still purged the roster of plenty of guys.

humor me and list some names

Andrew Tallman
Devante Davis
Jermaine Barton
Darion Hall
Billy Sanders
Jamal Reid
Corey White
Jermaine Johnson
CJ Holton

That's not counting guys like Storm Johnson, Kevin Nelson, etc. Point is, Golden has purged the roster plenty of times to get better players.

Golden has gotten rid of plenty of guys with eligibility remaining. Now he may have handled it in a stand up way, but he has still purged the roster of plenty of guys.

Andrew Tallman
Devante Davis
Jermaine Barton
Darion Hall
Billy Sanders
Jamal Reid
Corey White
Jermaine Johnson
CJ Holton

That's not counting guys like Storm Johnson, Kevin Nelson, etc. Point is, Golden has purged the roster plenty of times to get better players.

And while not a scholarship player, he just very recently ran off a longtime commit and die hard UM fan from a prominent area of recruiting in Tampa, Travis Johnson. All in favor of getting a better player, Beau Sandland. People need to take off the orange and green glasses and realize that this happens a lot and it happens everywhere. It's all a part of the game and it works both ways.

Andrew Tallman
Devante Davis
Jermaine Barton
Darion Hall
Billy Sanders
Jamal Reid
Corey White
Jermaine Johnson
CJ Holton

And you're certain all of those guys were in good standing and healthy and following team rules and that Al ran all those guys off? They didn't leave on their own? They didn't fail out? They didn't get in trouble that you might not be aware of? They weren't disruptive guys who refused to follow team rules?

Advertisement

Andrew Tallman
Devante Davis
Jermaine Barton
Darion Hall
Billy Sanders
Jamal Reid
Corey White
Jermaine Johnson
CJ Holton

And while not a scholarship player, he just very recently ran off a longtime commit and die hard UM fan from a prominent area of recruiting in Tampa, Travis Johnson. All in favor of getting a better player, Beau Sandland. People need to take off the orange and green glasses and realize that this happens a lot and it happens everywhere. It's all a part of the game and it works both ways.

You're stretching when you start talking about recruits. But go ahead. Like I said, we'll see what happens. I still haven't seen any compelling of guys who got "ran off". Ran off doesn't cover everyone who leaves a team. Ran off applies to guys who do everything right and are good teammates and the HC gets rid of them anyway because he's trying to open up spaces.

Have a good night. I'm done with this conversation. We're getting to the point where we're just repeating ourselves now. I don't think Al runs guys off, and you guys think he does.

Randy Shannon kicked off one dude so he could get Seantrel.

all coaches do this.

Saban just does it all the time.

as far as the list for Golden, about half were caught with marijuana. some (Seantrel and Cain) stayed and received punishment.

others left the program and or were hurt.

Advertisement
This really isn't that big of a deal. I'm not saying its bad to run kids off, and you should only do so when you can make sure the kid lands on his feet. Sometimes the coaches get the kids to run themselves off, and that's fine too. I bet you'll see at least 2 guys leave the team after spring ball. The decision will be "mutual" for whoever is leaving.

Are you telling me that Gianni Paul didn't just get run off? Last I checked, he never got arrested for anything, nor did he fail out of class. So it wasn't some administrative decision, like in the case with Finnie. He was no longer a part of their plans.

You're making an assumption here. Are you sure that Paul had no fault here?

No one said anything about him not being at fault. Only that, there was nothing that was so bad that Golden had no choice but to kick him off. If Golden wanted him back, he would probably still be here.

Advertisement
No one said anything about him not being at fault. Only that, there was nothing that was so bad that Golden had no choice but to kick him off. If Golden wanted him back, he would probably still be here.

so you know everything has happened? are you part of the coaching staff?

if Paul was pushed out, why did he tweet saying he thanks the university for its support as he leaves to pursue degree elsewhere?

Advertisement

so you know everything has happened? are you part of the coaching staff?

if Paul was pushed out, why did he tweet saying he thanks the university for its support as he leaves to pursue degree elsewhere?

Are you serious? You just answered your own question. Gianni Paul didn't do anything wrong. Was never suspended or anything, and yet he's gone. Meanwhile, RaShawn Scott gets suspended indefinitely and is now back on the team. Once again, you guys don't seem to understand that things like this happen and it isn't always done so in a negative way. There's ways of doing it where no one has to look like the bad guy.

And you're certain all of those guys were in good standing and healthy and following team rules and that Al ran all those guys off? They didn't leave on their own? They didn't fail out? They didn't get in trouble that you might not be aware of? They weren't disruptive guys who refused to follow team rules?

why does this matter? it's not a bad thing for a staff to tell a kid that he should look elsewhere. not every kid is a diehard cane that would be crushed to be told to leave. some just wanna play ball and are receptive to a coach saying "look, it's not in the cards here for you, how about we find somewhere for you to play?" it doesn't make the coach a monster.

personally i think it would be a huge assumption that every single one of those guys left UM because of behavioral issues. in fact i think it's outright wrong.

Advertisement
Back