Scholarship rumor

How does one "open up" all those extra scholarships when 20 this year puts us at the 85 limit?
for the past 5 years we've averaged about 8-9 kids who leave the program early due to transfer/medical hardship etc. There will be more kids to move on from the program after the spring. happens every year.

You think 8 or 9 kids will leave the team between now and August? I don't. Not even close.

I think we'll sign 20-21 this year and be right up on the 85 limit. I think we'll get most of the guys we're currently after, and that will be it for us. GolDon is probably still working backup plans, and guys are thinking that means that the backup plans and the A-list guy that he's backing up will be coming. I doubt that.

no, 4 guys have already left (Finnie,Paul, JJohnson, CWhite). I think another 3-5 probably leave by fall. I think we sign 23ish now with Coley contacts and the NCAA revelation

Last edited:
Advertisement
How does one "open up" all those extra scholarships when 20 this year puts us at the 85 limit?
for the past 5 years we've averaged about 8-9 kids who leave the program early due to transfer/medical hardship etc. There will be more kids to move on from the program after the spring. happens every year.

You think 8 or 9 kids will leave the team between now and August? I don't. Not even close.

I think we'll sign 20-21 this year and be right up on the 85 limit. I think we'll get most of the guys we're currently after, and that will be it for us. GolDon is probably still working backup plans, and guys are thinking that means that the backup plans and the A-list guy that he's backing up will be coming. I doubt that.

no, 4 guys have already left (Finnie,Paul, JJohnson, CWhite). I think another 3-5 probably leave by fall. I think we sign 23ish now with Coley contacts and the NCAA revelation

I don't care who already left. When signing day rolls around, we will only be able to sign a certain number without going over 85. There's no way we will sign over the 85 number and then hope someone leaves, and Al isn't about cutting good quality kids for no good reason despite what the fans want him to do.

It's easy math. We won't go over 85, and I doubt there will be any defections from the roster between now and Feb 6th.

I don't care who already left. When signing day rolls around, we will only be able to sign a certain number without going over 85. There's no way we will sign over the 85 number and then hope someone leaves, and Al isn't about cutting good quality kids for no good reason despite what the fans want him to do.

It's easy math. We won't go over 85, and I doubt there will be any defections from the roster between now and Feb 6th.

Not true. Most of those kids won't be here until after the spring semester, so we wouldn't be over the 85 limit. They could weed more guys out after spring ball and make room.

Advertisement
Let's be honest here. Are there really 6-8 kids other kids that are serious about coming here? And I am talking top notch talent. There is no reason for Golden to sign 6-8 reaches.

there is no doubt that we will try to be at 85 or very close in Sept. You can't win without depth.

GOLDEN GOT EVERYBODY! DISCOUNTED! GANGSTER! PIMP! DON! GODFATHER! HE GOT 'EM ALLLLLLLLL! EVERYBODY WANTED ONE OF THEM, HE GOT 'EM ALLLLLL! DISCOUNTED!

Advertisement

Not true. Most of those kids won't be here until after the spring semester, so we wouldn't be over the 85 limit. They could weed more guys out after spring ball and make room.

Is it your opinion that you can have more than 85 kids on scholarship as long as practice hasn't started yet? Once a player signs that LOI he is guaranteed a scholarship for 1 year, so that LOI is basically a scholarship. I don't know how you get around that. I just don't see GolDon going over the 85 limit and then running guys off. He's had many chances to run guys off that the fans wanted run off and hasn't done it. We shall see how it works out, but if I'm betting on it, I bet that he stays at or below the 85 limit during this signing period.

Is it your opinion that you can have more than 85 kids on scholarship as long as practice hasn't started yet? Once a player signs that LOI he is guaranteed a scholarship for 1 year, so that LOI is basically a scholarship. I don't know how you get around that. I just don't see GolDon going over the 85 limit and then running guys off. He's had many chances to run guys off that the fans wanted run off and hasn't done it. We shall see how it works out, but if I'm betting on it, I bet that he stays at or below the 85 limit during this signing period.

No, LOI is not a scholarship. It's a promise. But things happen. Like guys not being able to enroll and having to attend prep school, which happens to us every year. Other guys may get in trouble or something else happens that they never end up attending that school. Those guys don't count as a scholarship. They don't count against your numbers until they are actually enrolled and at the school.

And yes, he has run guys off. Just ask Andrew Tallman. There was definitely a few more as well. I'm not saying this is gonna happen now, but it pretty much happens every year. Especially if you have a guy who already has his degree and won't be contributing anything going forward.

Advertisement
Rumor has it we're also getting an on-campus stadium and that JJ is coming back to replace D'Oh as defensive coordinator!

Rumor has it that wasnt half as funny as you might have thought it was when you wrote it.

This.

1. David Thompson goes full time baseball - we don't need 6 scholly QBs, Thompson has been hurt, and we're fine at QB with Olsen and Dewey (along with 2014 kid)

2. David Perry & Hunter Wells - hit the bricks

3. It might be time to give up on Jalen Grimble and Ricardo Williams. They should show something in the spring or hit the bricks.

4. If you really want to free up some schollys, tell Kelvin Cain and Asante Cleveland to catch a one way ticket back to Portland St.

3 easy cuts
Up to 7 if you really want it
We'll never miss any of those kids on the field

Advertisement

No, LOI is not a scholarship. It's a promise. But things happen. Like guys not being able to enroll and having to attend prep school, which happens to us every year. Other guys may get in trouble or something else happens that they never end up attending that school. Those guys don't count as a scholarship. They don't count against your numbers until they are actually enrolled and at the school.

And yes, he has run guys off. Just ask Andrew Tallman. There was definitely a few more as well. I'm not saying this is gonna happen now, but it pretty much happens every year. Especially if you have a guy who already has his degree and won't be contributing anything going forward.

I understand that it doesn't "officially" count against the numbers until the guy enrolls. But the LOI is a promise of a scholarship for a year, so if the guy is qualified he'll count. It's super risky to assume that guys won't qualify or that guys will want to leave. That's like writing checks hoping you have money in your account when the guy shows up to cash the check.

I don't take Al as a guy who is willing to take chances ruining relationships with HS corches. I don't remember Al running Andrew Tallman off. And I didn't see you list anyone else. So, I'm pretty comfortable I'm right in thinking he's not a guy who runs off players in good standing.

This.

1. David Thompson goes full time baseball - we don't need 6 scholly QBs, Thompson has been hurt, and we're fine at QB with Olsen and Dewey (along with 2014 kid)

2. David Perry & Hunter Wells - hit the bricks

3. It might be time to give up on Jalen Grimble and Ricardo Williams. They should show something in the spring or hit the bricks.

4. If you really want to free up some schollys, tell Kelvin Cain and Asante Cleveland to catch a one way ticket back to Portland St.

3 easy cuts
Up to 7 if you really want it
We'll never miss any of those kids on the field

LULZ at 1, 3 and 4. Remember when Kelvin Quit quit the team last year? Don't you think that would have been a great time to run him off if Al wanted to get rid of guys? Instead, Al let him come back because he's not that scummy guy.

I understand that message board posters would have no problem running off the guys you mentioned. Al, on the other hand, is accountable.

Golden has gotten rid of plenty of guys with eligibility remaining. Now he may have handled it in a stand up way, but he has still purged the roster of plenty of guys.

respect your opinion but we just did the very thing you're saying we wouldnt do last recruiting cycle. After signing day last year, we had over 85 scholarships "promised". It wasnt until Billy Sanders, CJ Holton J.Barton, J.Alexis etc were asked to move on (after spring mind you) that we got under the limit. Happens every year, and it is going to happen again this year

Advertisement
Back