Schadenfreude

Moonman

иди нахуй
Scha•den•freu•de
noun
Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

While we bask in the afterglow of a surprisingly positive beginning to 2020, we should also take a minute to enjoy some of the dumpster fires around the country.

Today I will highlight a few programs that have had utterly disastrous ends to 2019/beginnings of 2020.

#1. USC - Holy crap! USC is in shambles right now. Not only did they lose to Iowa by more than three TDs in the Holiday bowl to end 2019, but their 2020 recruiting class might their worst EVER! Seriously, were talking about a program with 11 National Championships, 6 Heisman winners and more NFL draft picks than any other program in the history of college football...and their recruiting class just finished ranked 55th behind Northwestern, Cincinnati and Oregon State just to name a few. They signed a grand total of TWO 4 star recruits and 13 overall...and just lost more 4 stars to the portal than they signed. Wow.

#2. VT - As if losing to Virginia for the first time in 15 years wasn't enough, the hokies just finished last in the ACC with the 71st nationally ranked recruiting class. They landed ONE in-state recruit in the class of 2020. Read that again. Old Dominion, Indiana and Wake Forest all landed a larger number and more highly rated recruits out of the state of Virginia than the hokies. Also, they've lost 30 players (25% of Justin Fuente's recruits) to the portal in the past 18 months. Add all that to the fact that Bud Foster is no longer their DC and you can imagine the depths of where this program will be in the near future.

#3. Michigan State - Back to back 7-6 seasons, worst recruiting class in a decade, sexual assault scandal, Mark Dantonio resigns on the eve of signing day and a pending NCAA investigation for recruiting violations. MSU is in a death spiral. The Spartans have compiled a 27-24 record in the past four seasons. Their offense was one of the worst in the country in 2019. They scored only 29 TDs. To illustrate just how bad that is, the 2019 CANES' offense, which was our worst since 2007 scored 43 TDs.

As bad as things may have felt at the end of 2019, at least the CANES are trending upwards. Imagine being a fan of any of the above teams. It's gonna be brutal in 2020 for those programs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know a lot of VT fans and most all have never been impressed with Fuente. They all felt Foster should have gotten the HC job when Beamer retired. They also feel like Foster was the one that held things together since Beamer retired and he may have left "early" due to differences in philosophy with Fuente. Looks like VT will be SOL now that Foster is gone.

I know a lot of VT fans and most all have never been impressed with Fuente. They all felt Foster should have gotten the HC job when Beamer retired. They also feel like Foster was the one that held things together since Beamer retired and he may have left "early" due to differences in philosophy with Fuente. Looks like VT will be SOL now that Foster is gone.
Hire Foster as an analyst! Lol

Advertisement
I spent some HS years in northern VA and a handful of my best friends are die hard Hokies. Their morale is at the lowest point I've ever seen. That program is in absolute shambles right now. It's going to even get worse before it gets better though, I think.

Last edited:
Scha•den•freu•de
noun
Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

While we bask in the afterglow of a surprisingly positive beginning to 2020, we should also take a minute to enjoy some of the dumpster fires around the country.

Today I will highlight a few programs that have had utterly disastrous ends to 2019/beginnings of 2020.

#1. USC - Holy crap! USC is in shambles right now. Not only did they lose to Iowa by more than three TDs in the Holiday bowl to end 2019, but their 2020 recruiting class might their worst EVER! Seriously, were talking about a program with 11 National Championships, 6 Heisman winners and more NFL draft picks than any other program in the history of college football...and their recruiting class just finished ranked 55th behind Northwestern, Cincinnati and Oregon State just to name a few. They signed a grand total of TWO 4 star recruits and 13 overall...and just lost more 4 stars to the portal than they signed. Wow.

#2. VT - As if losing to Virginia for the first time in 15 years wasn't enough, the hokies just finished last in the ACC with the 71st nationally ranked recruiting class. They landed ONE in-state recruit in the class of 2020. Read that again. Old Dominion, Indiana and Wake Forest all landed a larger number and more highly rated recruits out of the state of Virginia than the hokies. Also, they've lost 30 players (25% of Justin Fuente's recruits) to the portal in the past 18 months. Add all that to the fact that Bud Foster is no longer their DC and you can imagine the depths of where this program will be in the near future.

#3. Michigan State - Back to back 7-6 seasons, worst recruiting class in a decade, sexual assault scandal, Mark Dantonio resigns on the eve of signing day and a pending NCAA investigation for recruiting violations. MSU is in a death spiral. The Spartans have compiled a 27-24 record in the past four seasons. Their offense was one of the worst in the country in 2019. They scored only 29 TDs. To illustrate just how bad that is, the 2019 CANES' offense, which was our worst since 2007 scored 43 TDs.

As bad as things may have felt at the end of 2019, at least the CANES are trending upwards. Imagine being a fan of any of the above teams. It's gonna be brutal in 2020 for those programs.
How are we trending upward when we didnt even score our last game and I cant even tell you the losing streak we are on and last time we won? Of course we are back 2 back offseason champs but I dont care about that. Im more of play on field, that is true momentum, we wont know til Oct. It is good to see Manny make necessary changes tho, kudos to him. But Even with those issues, VT beat us at home, to end last season those other teams probably would too.. Lets hold our horses before we start a circle jerk

Advertisement
I can't imagine the culture at VT right now. You've got players dying to get out, a head coach who is interviewing for other jobs, and the one constant through all the turmoil retiring.

How do you look at a recruit and tell him it's the place for him, when you've acknowledged it's not the place for you?

I spent some HS years in northern VA and a handful of my best friends are die hard Hokies. Their morale is at the lowest point I've ever seen. That program is in absolute shambles right now. It's going to even get worse before it gets better, I think though.
No doubt about the morale. Every Hokie fan I talk to says the same thing you mentioned. Beamer and Foster were able to identify diamonds in the rough and coach them up. I don't think Fuente lasts more than a year or 2 and what will be interesting is when he's fired or leaves for another HC job, who will VT be able to attract.

The USC situation is perplexing. Even Blake James would have fired Helton by now.

VT is spiraling toward trainwreck status but Fuente could probably take a roster of 60 2* guys and still toy with Blake Baker all game. We might need Lashlee to put up 50 to beat that "dumpster fire".

Big Ten has a huge $ TV deal and is gonna be easily the 2nd most competitive conference over the coming years. MSU might be the cellar dwellar with Buttgers likely on the come up.

Advertisement
"Fuente could probably take a roster of 60 2* guys and still toy with Blake Baker all game. We might need Lashlee to put up 50 to beat that "dumpster fire"."

I guess we have to do this again...

If I were to tell you without knowing the outcome of a game that we scored 5 TDs, and that our defense forced 4 three&outs, 6 punts, and gave up 335 total yards and 15 first downs...what would you guess was the final score?

How about if I told you that we scored 5 TDs and that our defense forced 6 three&outs, 7 punts, and gave up 337 total yards and 14 first downs?

The first game was at VT in 2018 and we won 38-14.

The second game was last year's VT game.

The difference in those two games?

Five turnovers.

The USC situation is perplexing. Even Blake James would have fired Helton by now.

VT is spiraling toward trainwreck status but Fuente could probably take a roster of 60 2* guys and still toy with Blake Baker all game. We might need Lashlee to put up 50 to beat that "dumpster fire".

Big Ten has a huge $ TV deal and is gonna be easily the 2nd most competitive conference over the coming years. MSU might be the cellar dwellar with Buttgers likely on the come up.
easily? I dunno about that. Things go in cycles. Just a few years ago, some made the argument that the ACC was the 2nd best and at worst, the 3rd best. Not only was the ACC winning the natty, but the Heisman, the Butkus, etc. I do believe the Canes will become a top 10 perennial team very soon and when you add a resurgent FSU, solid NCST, a re-emerging UNC, and solid UVA, plus our current potentate ruler, Clemson, we will get at least out of the cellar, soon.

Also, the B12, has some stud teams that are ready to re-emerge or at least keep their footing. If OU cancels out OSU, then who in the B10 is left that is far superior to the B12?

I would say that UM will soon become the next perennial super power and that will give the ACC 2, which is one more than the B10.

Last edited:

Last years game had very little to do with Baker, and more to do with Enos/Jarren. Hard to defend when your qb throws a bunch of int's all on the first quarter.

Advertisement
Back