Schadenfreude

Scha•den•freu•de
noun
Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

While we bask in the afterglow of a surprisingly positive beginning to 2020, we should also take a minute to enjoy some of the dumpster fires around the country.

Today I will highlight a few programs that have had utterly disastrous ends to 2019/beginnings of 2020.

#1. USC - Holy crap! USC is in shambles right now. Not only did they lose to Iowa by more than three TDs in the Holiday bowl to end 2019, but their 2020 recruiting class might their worst EVER! Seriously, were talking about a program with 11 National Championships, 6 Heisman winners and more NFL draft picks than any other program in the history of college football...and their recruiting class just finished ranked 55th behind Northwestern, Cincinnati and Oregon State just to name a few. They signed a grand total of TWO 4 star recruits and 13 overall...and just lost more 4 stars to the portal than they signed. Wow.

#2. VT - As if losing to Virginia for the first time in 15 years wasn't enough, the hokies just finished last in the ACC with the 71st nationally ranked recruiting class. They landed ONE in-state recruit in the class of 2020. Read that again. Old Dominion, Indiana and Wake Forest all landed a larger number and more highly rated recruits out of the state of Virginia than the hokies. Also, they've lost 30 players (25% of Justin Fuente's recruits) to the portal in the past 18 months. Add all that to the fact that Bud Foster is no longer their DC and you can imagine the depths of where this program will be in the near future.

#3. Michigan State - Back to back 7-6 seasons, worst recruiting class in a decade, sexual assault scandal, Mark Dantonio resigns on the eve of signing day and a pending NCAA investigation for recruiting violations. MSU is in a death spiral. The Spartans have compiled a 27-24 record in the past four seasons. Their offense was one of the worst in the country in 2019. They scored only 29 TDs. To illustrate just how bad that is, the 2019 CANES' offense, which was our worst since 2007 scored 43 TDs.

As bad as things may have felt at the end of 2019, at least the CANES are trending upwards. Imagine being a fan of any of the above teams. It's gonna be brutal in 2020 for those programs.
USC got hammered with death penalty level penalties like Miami did at end of Denis's tenure. Unfortunately for them, they did not have one Butch Davis take over. Nothing tells you how great a job Butch did with recruiting players and hiring staff than comparing USC and The U. Similar is so many ways except Mr. Davis -- despite USC having a much better administration than we ever have.

Advertisement
The USC situation is perplexing. Even Blake James would have fired Helton by now.

VT is spiraling toward trainwreck status but Fuente could probably take a roster of 60 2* guys and still toy with Blake Baker all game. We might need Lashlee to put up 50 to beat that "dumpster fire".

Big Ten has a huge $ TV deal and is gonna be easily the 2nd most competitive conference over the coming years. MSU might be the cellar dwellar with Buttgers likely on the come up.
USC's problem is the athletic department. Lynn Swann's lack of experience and the whole admissions/bribery scandal doesn't really build confidence. Bohn just started and probably wanted to get the full picture before trying to handle putting a new coaching staff in place.

If people here think a banner is terrible for recruiting imagine a string of arrests by the FBI plastered all over national news for months.

Scha•den•freu•de
noun

While we bask in the afterglow of a surprisingly positive beginning to 2020, we should also take a minute to enjoy some of the dumpster fires around the country.

Today I will highlight a few programs that have had utterly disastrous ends to 2019/beginnings of 2020.

#1. USC - Holy crap! USC is in shambles right now. Not only did they lose to Iowa by more than three TDs in the Holiday bowl to end 2019, but their 2020 recruiting class might their worst EVER! Seriously, were talking about a program with 11 National Championships, 6 Heisman winners and more NFL draft picks than any other program in the history of college football...and their recruiting class just finished ranked 55th behind Northwestern, Cincinnati and Oregon State just to name a few. They signed a grand total of TWO 4 star recruits and 13 overall...and just lost more 4 stars to the portal than they signed. Wow.

#2. VT - As if losing to Virginia for the first time in 15 years wasn't enough, the hokies just finished last in the ACC with the 71st nationally ranked recruiting class. They landed ONE in-state recruit in the class of 2020. Read that again. Old Dominion, Indiana and Wake Forest all landed a larger number and more highly rated recruits out of the state of Virginia than the hokies. Also, they've lost 30 players (25% of Justin Fuente's recruits) to the portal in the past 18 months. Add all that to the fact that Bud Foster is no longer their DC and you can imagine the depths of where this program will be in the near future.

#3. Michigan State - Back to back 7-6 seasons, worst recruiting class in a decade, sexual assault scandal, Mark Dantonio resigns on the eve of signing day and a pending NCAA investigation for recruiting violations. MSU is in a death spiral. The Spartans have compiled a 27-24 record in the past four seasons. Their offense was one of the worst in the country in 2019. They scored only 29 TDs. To illustrate just how bad that is, the 2019 CANES' offense, which was our worst since 2007 scored 43 TDs.

As bad as things may have felt at the end of 2019, at least the CANES are trending upwards. Imagine being a fan of any of the above teams. It's gonna be brutal in 2020 for those programs.

USC :eek:

VT 😂

Mich State 🤔

comeuppance

noun Informal.
deserved reward or just deserts, usually unpleasant:He finally got his comeuppance for his misbehavior.

VT was on the ropes, circling the drain, whatever you want to call it, last year, but Jarren's seemingly 10,000,000 interceptions thrown in the 1st half of our game gave them new life.

USC has absolutely NO business being as bad recruiting as they are. Kids out there love USC and would gladly go there if they had someone competent leading the way. I just don't get why they decided to give Helton another year.

Advertisement
USC has absolutely NO business being as bad recruiting as they are. Kids out there love USC and would gladly go there if they had someone competent leading the way. I just don't get why they decided to give Helton another year.

I don't understand it either. Helton was essentially a lame duck entering 2019 when everyone was sure Urban was on deck. When that didn't materialize you mean to tell me they didn't have a backup plan? It's really incredible how poorly that program is run. I bet they wish they'd hung on to EdO!

VT was on the ropes, circling the drain, whatever you want to call it, last year, but Jarren's seemingly 10,000,000 interceptions thrown in the 1st half of our game gave them new life.
Not just that but our defense went full Blake Baker that game and let a kid starting his first game score td after td to start the game. Remember when Fuente was the best hire any team made that year? Yikes.

As for MSU they can probably get Penos on the cheap. **** by last years standards compared to MSU we were LSU.

Advertisement
easily? I dunno about that. Things go in cycles. Just a few years ago, some made the argument that the ACC was the 2nd best and at worst, the 3rd best. Not only was the ACC winning the natty, but the Heisman, the Butkus, etc. I do believe the Canes will become a top 10 perennial team very soon and when you add a resurgent FSU, solid NCST, a re-emerging UNC, and solid UVA, plus our current potentate ruler, Clemson, we will get at least out of the cellar, soon.

Also, the B12, has some stud teams that are ready to re-emerge or at least keep their footing. If OU cancels out OSU, then who in the B10 is left that is far superior to the B12?

I would say that UM will soon become the next perennial super power and that will give the ACC 2, which is one more than the B10.

I'm talking about resources. In 2023 the Big 10 will have a new TV deal likely with Fox that will make ACC TV revenue look like chump change by comparison. Miami has advantages beyond spending power but there will be a big gulf between SEC/Big Ten/big $ schools like Texas and everyone else.

As for the VT game turnovers argument - I guess you guys are cool with giving up crucial conversions on 3rd down and in the red zone as long as yardage is kept to a minimum. Points are what win football games last I checked and when you get outschemed to the point where the opposing TE is wide *** open every time he's targeted...well you give up a lot of points.

But yeah Baker is fine and those Sr LBs are all time greats. It's all Jarren and Enos' fault that the defense couldn't get stops.

This board...every day there's a new pinnacle of stupidity. Where do you guys even come up with some of these arguments?

I'm talking about resources. In 2023 the Big 10 will have a new TV deal likely with Fox that will make ACC TV revenue look like chump change by comparison. Miami has advantages beyond spending power but there will be a big gulf between SEC/Big Ten/big $ schools like Texas and everyone else.

As for the VT game turnovers argument - I guess you guys are cool with giving up crucial conversions on 3rd down and in the red zone as long as yardage is kept to a minimum. Points are what win football games last I checked and when you get outschemed to the point where the opposing TE is wide *** open every time he's targeted...well you give up a lot of points.

But yeah Baker is fine and those Sr LBs are all time greats. It's all Jarren and Enos' fault that the defense couldn't get stops.

This board...every day there's a new pinnacle of stupidity. Where do you guys even come up with some of these arguments?
I'm not saying it's all Jarren/Enos...but the contribution or lack there of from those two greatly affected how everything else went.Yes the defense wasn't as good as it could or should be...but the offense put us in a big hole especially in that game.

Fingers and toes crossed for the same fate for FSU with Norvell

It's gonna be fun when we play fsu. Lashlee vs Dillingham both with experience under Malzahn, both have led top 10 offenses. I suspect we have the upper hand at QB though, and our defense should be better than theirs. I pray we go into that game ranked because if so the rock is gonna be on fire.

Scha•den•freu•de
noun

I can only bask so much. We were down 28-0 to that suspect VT team last year. Heading to East Lansing this year, we should win...easily...like 5 other games last year.

Last year was so disgusting, I'm just going to bask in some extremely cautious optimism regarding King and the coaching moves.

Advertisement
I live in Los Angeles and Trojans are as arrogant as you will find. SC's past three AD hires were Garrett, Haden, and Swann. All former players without much of a resume behind them (at least Haden was a successful attorney). The athletic department is very insular.

SC is also notoriously cheap. After Helton retained for 2020 the local ESPN sports radio, including Keyshawn Johnson, noted SC's current coaches in most sports are paid less than their predecessor. SC expects coaches to want to work for less because 'We Are SC'. Coaches like Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer would never receive the salaries and funding they would have demanded. Some say negotiations with Stoops fell through for this reason.

In addition, terminating Helton and staff would have cost an estimated $20M.

Hiring Cincinnati's AD is thought to be a step in the right direction, going outside the program for an AD for the first time in a very long time.

Advertisement
I know a lot of VT fans and most all have never been impressed with Fuente. They all felt Foster should have gotten the HC job when Beamer retired. They also feel like Foster was the one that held things together since Beamer retired and he may have left "early" due to differences in philosophy with Fuente. Looks like VT will be SOL now that Foster is gone.

Foster didn't want the job. An old coworker of mine was very good friends with Foster. I mentioned wanting Foster as DC when Golden was hired. He said Foster didn't ever want to leave Blacksburg or become a HC. He liked his life as a DC and didn't ever want the headache of being a HC. He made plenty of money for his lifestyle. A rare bird who was actually happy with his career exactly as it was.

Foster didn't want the job. An old coworker of mine was very good friends with Foster. I mentioned wanting Foster as DC when Golden was hired. He said Foster didn't ever want to leave Blacksburg or become a HC. He liked his life as a DC and didn't ever want the headache of being a HC. He made plenty of money for his lifestyle. A rare bird who was actually happy with his career exactly as it was.
Clemson DC might be the next one.

Scha•den•freu•de
noun

I think it's interesting that VT is widely viewed as a good football program just because they were successful under one long-term coach. And successful is subjective here, because they only had the one title appearance and zero wins. They've produced some decent players/prolific dog murderers, but the Beamer years might just be an aberration.

This harkens back to a theory (I think it was Bruce Feldman) that every program has an equilibrium state. Some are six-win programs and some are ten-win programs. Sometimes they'll overachieve and sometimes under. Perhaps VT overachieved for a while there.

Their biggest rival for local recruiting is arguably UVA, and I'd go to Virginia allll day over VT. Add to that Brown really seeming to do decent work at UNC (for however long it lasts) and VT could be looking to reclaim their rightful place as a nothing football program.

The fans wanted Foster for HC when Beamer retired, but I agree he didn't want it. A rare bird indeed.

Advertisement
Back