scathing new article about the athletic department’s leadership

Advertisement
The things Alonzo pointed out are the same things Alabama does, and their mostly cultural things that don’t change over time. Things like sitting players who don’t perform. Shlt we need.
You say this like sitting players that do not perform is a new and novel idea that only Alonzo could come in and insist upon. Again, I’m not saying whether he would or wouldn’t be successful. I am just saying we need to stop only considering people with Miami ties. I am generally not a fan of the Saban coaching tree, but if instilling Alabama’s culture was our number one requirement, why would we hire Alonzo instead of someone, you know, that is currently at Alabama?

It’s like a business that only recruits from Ivy League schools. It’s great the my went there but diversity in thought is important too. Maybe we need that outside voice to spot issues. Of course, if we just hired a competent AD and let them do their job, this position would be unnecessary.

Alienate a media outlet and you risk these types of articles. The media risk access for the same thing.

Nothing wrong with either. All part of the game.

Of course, BJ and the admin suck at it because they should not be running a major program.

Advertisement
But we're not losing those guys because we're not identifying them. I mean, I am sure there are instances like that, but by and large, we are losing guys because we're not winning. If you win, player eval becomes easier b/c kids want to come here.
We’re losing the guys I’m talking about because we aren’t recruiting them, because we either haven’t identified them or don’t get a good evaluation.

I’m not talking about the 4* and 5* guys that we lose to bama. We’re going to continue to lose too many battles for them. I’m talking about the 3* who should be a 4 or 5*. There’s plenty of elite college players who weren’t highly recruited or rated. We need those guys.

The most damning part of the article was the spotlight on Fake James' interviews with the press prior to the NC State game. what a ****, trying to deflect criticism to Manny when he was entirely responsible for that fiasco of a hire to begin with.

If the admin had any nads at all, they would fire Fake and Corch immediately, and put together a real search committee led by someone like Highsmith or another a$$ kicker. That would give them time to pull the money together, too.

And if they're not willing to put $10+M into this program annually, then shame on them. I'm not saying go buy out Mario's contract and don't do the search. I'm saying be prepared to spend the money you need to get guy you want to get. Whether that's Mario, or Kiffin or Stoops or someone else. The money needs to be there. No more settling.

Advertisement
This is going to get worse and worse and worse until the inevitable conclusion. There's no coming back from this for Blake or Manny so what is the point in waiting?

And if they're waiting for some magic moment, some Clemson type loss to use as a scapegoat, that may never come. And if you're OK with what's happened so far this season how are you going to pull the trigger after a 7 point loss to Pitt, or a 3 point win against Ga Tech, or a close game against FSU? They can scrape their way to 6-6 or 7-5.

It's mind boggling thinking there's any way back from this for both those guys. And the longer you wait the more damage you'll do. So what is going on?

You say this like sitting players that do not perform is a new and novel idea that only Alonzo could come in and insist upon. Again, I’m not saying whether he would or wouldn’t be successful. I am just saying we need to stop only considering people with Miami ties. I am generally not a fan of the Saban coaching tree, but if instilling Alabama’s culture was our number one requirement, why would we hire Alonzo instead of someone, you know, that is currently at Alabama?

It’s like a business that only recruits from Ivy League schools. It’s great the my went there but diversity in thought is important too. Maybe we need that outside voice to spot issues. Of course, if we just hired a competent AD and let them do their job, this position would be unnecessary.
I agree with you about the “Miami guy” thing generally. But Listening to Zo on that podcast sold me on him.

Aside from the cultural issue and how to create a physical team thru practice drills, he talked about Miami and why it’s different than the rest of CFB. He talked about large crowds as a sort of reward for performing, how attendance is up to the team. He also got into the fact that Miami is unique, an international brand that stands for something Alabama or Georgia never will.

My ****** summary of what he said doesn’t do it justice, but suffice it to say he’s got the recruiting pitch down.

They wouldn’t have to pay Mario 8 million a year to leave to leave Oregon, they start him at 5 with increasing pay yearly. What other facility upgrades do they need? I know they are supposed to upgrade the locker room soon and they just made the weight room bigger and made the meeting/coaches room nicer. Do they need gold toilets and waterfall in the bathroom?

I agree with you about the “Miami guy” thing generally. But Listening to Zo on that podcast sold me on him.

Aside from the cultural issue and how to create a physical team thru practice drills, he talked about Miami and why it’s different than the rest of CFB. He talked about large crowds as a sort of reward for performing, how attendance is up to the team. He also got into the fact that Miami is unique, an international brand that stands for something Alabama or Georgia never will.

My ****** summary of what he said doesn’t do it justice, but suffice it to say he’s got the recruiting pitch down.
Fair enough. I’m not saying he isn’t the guy, just that I wish we would do full searches for the AD, football czar, and head coach positions that include Miami and non Miami guys, and then hire the best candidate. Unfortunately, either because of the failure to fire Blake James when he should have been or because of the board acting as it does, we won’t have time for full searches.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I’m not saying he isn’t the guy, just that I wish we would do full searches for the AD, football czar, and head coach positions that include Miami and non Miami guys, and then hire the best candidate. Unfortunately, either because of the failure to fire Blake James when he should have been or because of the board acting as it does, we won’t have time for full searches.
U ain’t wrong

Advertisement
after the stunt that Blake James pulled last week, who would work for him period!!!!!
total lack of class trying to protect his position...... all 3 major sports are failing and Blake owns the CMD fiasco
and throwing him under the bus should be a clear sign to MIA President ad BOT that James is no more than a bureaucrat
CYA period and a very, very poor leader period

****....they went ham on the Frenk, admin, and James. A lot of this info is incorrect (like buyout amounts) but still a good read.

I'll post the link and the text as well. There's also a breakdown on why Mario sticking to his QB is a bad idea (only in the attachment, i just copied the Miami story below).

Blows my mind how absolutely clueless the national media is on our money situation. It’s hilarious that he talks about the trope of Miami fans thinking we have money and are overconfident, while his only support for that is his own trope of Miami not having money.

I don’t care about the next coach: the next Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Diaz…etc. That pattern will continue until the conditions change.

I’m focused on where is our Mal Moore, Joe Castiglione, Swarbrick, etc.

We need people who are serious about the business that is college football.
Yeah, if James is still around it’s a wrap.

Advertisement
Back