scathing new article about the athletic department’s leadership

BS85

D before E
Premium
****....they went ham on the Frenk, admin, and James. A lot of this info is incorrect (like buyout amounts) but still a good read.

I'll post the link and the text as well. There's also a breakdown on why Mario sticking to his QB is a bad idea (only in the attachment, i just copied the Miami story below).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami isn't wasting time in distancing itself from Manny Diaz.

Athletics director Blake James went on a clandestine media tour with several reporters — both local and national — on the eve of the Hurricanes' showdown with No. 18 NC State and it a point to not fully support Diaz as the head coach. By design? Absolutely. Misguided? Yes. Damaging? Yes, again.

Miami defeated NC State 31-30 but the result doesn't matter much. It appears Diaz' fate was sealed after a 2-4 start, the first for the program since it was under NCAA sanctions in 1997, and that assumption was only reinforced by James' inexplicable decision to throw the coach under the bus 24 hours before a huge game.

"Blake and I have a good relationship and have had a good relationship, but to me, this is all about competition," Diaz said Saturday night. "You’re competing. Competitors want to compete, so whatever comes out 24 hours before kickoff, that either has something to do with our competition the next night or it doesn’t."

If Miami is so set on undercutting its head coach, then it is definitely not too early to dissect what a coaching search will look like in South Beach. It shouldn't be surprising that picture is just as messy.

Miami is serious about football, right? If that is the case and the Hurricanes' administration is truly disgusted by the last 15-plus years of "football," they will prepare a gigantic financial package, along with a clear vision for improving resources and facilities, to lure Mario Cristobal from Oregon back to his hometown. Miami, however, is not serious about football any more. The president there is completely oblivious about the program -- and wants to remain that way -- and the idea that boosters have deep pockets there is only a myth carried forward by the boisterous fans and former players who do not have the means to support the program beyond sharply-worded tweets and eye-catching quotes in the media.

If Miami really wants to be relevant again, and has the cash to secure the future, they will find a way to pay off Manny Diaz' $8 million buyout, fling $9 million more on the table for Cristobal's buyout at Oregon and offer the Pac-12's best coach a salary worth north of $8 million per year. Will they do that? No. It's Miami. They lean on past success stories more than Texas, a program everyone loves to poke for a shared laugh in the hivemind of college football fandom. The only difference is Texas has money, amazing facilities and a rich-beyond-your-wildest-dreams alumni base. The Hurricanes blow hot wind on hot days. The breeze sounds nice but it doesn't cool the air.

Time is passing Miami. The program is 67-56 in the ACC since 2006, a stretch that includes seven seasons with a conference record at or below .500. Meanwhile, programs at FAU and UCF have become players on the recruiting scene, and Alabama has swept into South Florida to swipe away the best players.

Here's what happens over the next few weeks: the rumor mill will swirl, anonymous boosters and super alumni will talk a big game and then reality will strike. Miami can not afford a high-profile coach. The private school is in no position to promise nearly $60 million over the next five years (Diaz and assistant's buyouts and a staff led by Cristobal).

But don't lose hope, Hurricanes. The next best thing might actually be the best fit. Kentucky coach Mark Stoops is this close to sainthood in Lexington, and though a statue in front of Kroger Field sounds nice, perhaps the program's winningest coach since Bear Bryant would rather compete for a national championship before retirement age. Miami might offer that promise, and he knows it's possible in South Florida after serving three years on Larry Coker's staff in the early 2000s.

Stoops is also affordable. He's paid $5.3 million per year by the Wildcats but his buyout is less than $2 million. He's not only one of the SEC's better coaches, he's also a tremendous recruiter, a quality lacking in recent years at the ACC school.

Cristobal makes sense to Miami, but pulling him away from the best situation in the Pac-12 for a program stuck in the middle of a weak ACC is a difficult proposition, even without money problems.

Stoops makes sense and is a financially viable option.

If that fails, try Tom Allen at Indiana. He's a Florida guy, a tremendous recruiter and has done much more with much less in Bloomington.

Reality will not stop the old timers and former players with big voices and zero power from living in the past, spitting out big names and ignoring the reality at Miami, the program time forgot.

Athletics director Blake James went on a clandestine media tour with several reporters — both local and national — on the eve of the Hurricanes' showdown with No. 18 NC State and it a point to not fully support Diaz as the head coach. By design? Absolutely. Misguided? Yes. Damaging? Yes, again.

Miami defeated NC State 31-30 but the result doesn't matter much. It appears Diaz' fate was sealed after a 2-4 start, the first for the program since it was under NCAA sanctions in 1997, and that assumption was only reinforced by James' inexplicable decision to throw the coach under the bus 24 hours before a huge game.

"Blake and I have a good relationship and have had a good relationship, but to me, this is all about competition," Diaz said Saturday night. "You’re competing. Competitors want to compete, so whatever comes out 24 hours before kickoff, that either has something to do with our competition the next night or it doesn’t."

If Miami is so set on undercutting its head coach, then it is definitely not too early to dissect what a coaching search will look like in South Beach. It shouldn't be surprising that picture is just as messy.

Miami is serious about football, right? If that is the case and the Hurricanes' administration is truly disgusted by the last 15-plus years of "football," they will prepare a gigantic financial package, along with a clear vision for improving resources and facilities, to lure Mario Cristobal from Oregon back to his hometown. Miami, however, is not serious about football any more. The president there is completely oblivious about the program -- and wants to remain that way -- and the idea that boosters have deep pockets there is only a myth carried forward by the boisterous fans and former players who do not have the means to support the program beyond sharply-worded tweets and eye-catching quotes in the media.
The rest of it is scathing as well. Stoops is a more viable option to them and I can’t disagree with that.

Advertisement
I Guess If You Say So GIF

Lake & Gabby went all in on Blake during their instant reaction podcast. You could tell they were salty that they weren’t included in the media session and basically have called for Manny & Blake’s head. They want them fired.

Throw in Ferman in there as going hard on the program and there is no doubt that Flake has cut them out.

Now Flake has created two more enemy organizations.

Advertisement
Flake is getting orders to continue to make this thing as toxic as possible....no real coach would want to coach here if Teflon Blake is in charge. Teflon Blake and jenn strawley are the last 2 people connected to the era when we received our ncaa sanctions...they are staying pat and reeking havoc on our program.

Advertisement

This narrative is a little lazy, no? Sure, I'd love more money pumped into the program . . . more academic support staff . . . analysts . . . more nutrition and S&C staff . . . and just more support staff in general . . . but can we point to any particular "thing" that we need at this point? The IPF was huge. We're probably already near capacity in terms of space on campus. Realistically, what more do we need?

Tom Allen would cost more than Mario, he has a 20 million buy-out.

FAU and UCF players in the recruiting scene? Lmao.

Other than this, I see no lies: we will know very soon if UM is serious about football or not.
I liked Allen a lot and then I was reminded that he recently signed an extension & as you stated, has a high buyout.

Advertisement
****....they went ham on the Frenk, admin, and James. A lot of this info is incorrect (like buyout amounts) but still a good read.

I'll post the link and the text as well. There's also a breakdown on why Mario sticking to his QB is a bad idea (only in the attachment, i just copied the Miami story below).

GIF by moodman
war genius GIF by National Geographic Channel
Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity

There's lazy journalism and there's this. I'm convinced that a lot of this crap coming out is designed to get Mario here, despite him not being worth 8 million per season. There better be a legit process, instead of gifting Mario elite coach money, despite him not being elite.

Advertisement
Back