scathing new article about the athletic department’s leadership

Advertisement
Advertisement
Tom Allen is a good coach, but a bad cultural fit—and coaching at a high school in Tampa three decades ago doesn't make him a "Florida guy" by any stretch. Indiana-born and bred and went to a Baptist college in Wisconsin. Dude literally spent three years in Florida a lifetime ago and then one year under Taggart at USF in 2015. They need to chill on that nonsense. (That, and Tampa is south Georgia or Alabama in comparison to Miami; a much different "Florida" as we all know.)

A full package for Mario—a gameplay, a new AD, Zo in a football-type role—all seems WAY TOO MUCH for Miami's rinky-dink ways.

All that to say, Mark Stoops is my #2 choice at this rate and bringing him "home" would be the best Plan B the University of Miami has seen, since Butch Davis was a third-choice option in 1995, behind Lubick and Wannstache.

Last edited:
Blake James better not be here next year.
1635182028041.gif

Advertisement
I don’t care about the next coach: the next Coker, Shannon, Golden, Richt, Diaz…etc. That pattern will continue until the conditions change.

I’m focused on where is our Mal Moore, Joe Castiglione, Swarbrick, etc.

We need people who are serious about the business that is college football.

This narrative is a little lazy, no? Sure, I'd love more money pumped into the program . . . more academic support staff . . . analysts . . . more nutrition and S&C staff . . . and just more support staff in general . . . but can we point to any particular "thing" that we need at this point? The IPF was huge. We're probably already near capacity in terms of space on campus. Realistically, what more do we need?
A professional level scouting and recruiting department.

Advertisement
This narrative is a little lazy, no? Sure, I'd love more money pumped into the program . . . more academic support staff . . . analysts . . . more nutrition and S&C staff . . . and just more support staff in general . . . but can we point to any particular "thing" that we need at this point? The IPF was huge. We're probably already near capacity in terms of space on campus. Realistically, what more do we need?

At this point, I think you need a director-of-football like Alonzo Highsmith, with full autonomy to build a football program piece by piece—outside of just saying to throw money at it.

Listened to him on the Orange Bowl Boys podcast and he would at least come to Miami with a vision. a game plan and an authentic backstory as to what worked before—which when combined with a solid-enough coach—could turn 7-6 into a consistent 9-3, which can be built off of (10-3 after winning bowl games, or 10-4 if getting to ACC title games and losing.)

Do that much and you'll see an uptick in recruiting and the type of players Miami fields across the board and things get incrementally better.

Right now UM has a president who is clueless, a low-rent AD and a board of trustees in constant conflict. Everyone is asleep at the wheel, while Manny bleeds the program out and over-celebrates one-point wins, while making sad excuses for three-point losses.

Reading between the lines I still get the impression the U doesn’t give a **** but pretends it does to keep any fans they still have. Any way you spin it the best Miami will ever do is possibly, in my lifetime, win an ACC championship. You can forget a NC any time in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
"The Hurricanes blow hot wind on a hot day", hot take right there. LOL

But Stoops is the guy, UK's peak is this season.
If you were Stoops, and he seems like a competitive ****, would you want to abandon ship after finally getting your team to produce more consistently after all these years? He’s put in how many years now, 7/8? Not attacking here btw.

If you were Stoops, and he seems like a competitive ****, would you want to abandon ship after finally getting your team to produce more consistently after all these years? He’s put in how many years now, 7/8? Not attacking here btw.
He went to 10-3 in 2018 so this isn't his first season with legit top 25 success. But I think realistically your ceiling at Kentucky is 9-10 wins and a top 25 finish. You'll never top Georgia or Florida in the SEC East (in 2018 they finished 3rd in the east) which means you're never getting to the playoffs.

Being a mid-tier SEC program is probably on par w/ Miami right now. So taking a lateral job at a program you have ties to that also happens to have an easy-ish path to the playoffs seems like a good deal for Stoops.

Maybe LSU comes calling? But I doubt it. They'd probably want to go with a bigger sexier name.

He went to 10-3 in 2018 so this isn't his first season with legit top 25 success. But I think realistically your ceiling at Kentucky is 9-10 wins and a top 25 finish. You'll never top Georgia or Florida in the SEC East (in 2018 they finished 3rd in the east) which means you're never getting to the playoffs.

Being a mid-tier SEC program is probably on par w/ Miami right now. So taking a lateral job at a program you have ties to that also happens to have an easy-ish path to the playoffs seems like a good deal for Stoops.

Maybe LSU comes calling? But I doubt it. They'd probably want to go with a bigger sexier name.
Valid. Thank you.

Advertisement
Back