scathing new article about the athletic department’s leadership

At this point, I think you need a director-of-football like Alonzo Highsmith, with full autonomy to build a football program piece by piece—outside of just saying to throw money at it.

Listened to him on the Orange Bowl Boys podcast and he would at least come to Miami with a vision. a game plan and an authentic backstory as to what worked before—which when combined with a solid-enough coach—could turn 7-6 into a consistent 9-3, which can be built off of (10-3 after winning bowl games, or 10-4 if getting to ACC title games and losing.)

Do that much and you'll see an uptick in recruiting and the type of players Miami fields across the board and things get incrementally better.

Right now UM has a president who is clueless, a low-rent AD and a board of trustees in constant conflict. Everyone is asleep at the wheel, while Manny bleeds the program out and over-celebrates one-point wins, while making sad excuses for three-point losses.
I am not saying we should or should not have a football czar or whether it should be Alonzo, but the times have changed significantly in the last 10 years, let along 20 or 40. Just because Alonzo was around for what worked before, does not mean that is what is going to work today. We need to stop looking at the past for anything beyond the fact that we were forward looking back then. He is a smart guy and I do think the football AD position is a newer trend, but we need to absolutely stop looking solely at guys that have Miami somewhere on their resume.

Advertisement
I am not saying we should or should not have a football czar or whether it should be Alonzo, but the times have changed significantly in the last 10 years, let along 20 or 40. Just because Alonzo was around for what worked before, does not mean that is what is going to work today. We need to stop looking at the past for anything beyond the fact that we were forward looking back then. He is a smart guy and I do think the football AD position is a newer trend, but we need to absolutely stop looking solely at guys that have Miami somewhere on their resume.
Counter to that would be I love the idea of somebody who's never been a college administrator because they don't suck up to the board of trustees.

Forgive me but I'm not buying the narrative that Diaz's fate is already sealed. This administration is in no hurry to pay one buyout much less two. They are going to give him every opportunity to save himself. They have been setting their BS narrative with "youth movement" and "we should be 4-2 instead of 2-4". IF he somehow beats Pitt on the road this week, watch how quickly the energy shifts to keeping Diaz. They will say "we should be 6-2, playing all young guys. We beat 2 Top 25 teams back to back when the team could have easily quit on Manny and he got them to rally around him. He needs more time with the guys he recruited". They will even point to Kirk's comments this week of " "A lot of noise and distractions-could have lost their way-if anything playing HARDER for their coaches and for each other. GREAT to see!" to combat his earlier comments. IF he beats them and somehow gets us to 7-5 they will bring him back unless we get absolutely embarrassed in the bowl game. Then they will throw an additional $1-2 million at the football program for additional analyst and support staff to show they are "serious" about winning. Its unlikely he gets us to 7-5 and I hope I'm wrong but if we beat Pitt this week, prepare thy ****.

Advertisement
Counter to that would be I love the idea of somebody who's never been a college administrator because they don't suck up to the board of trustees.
Counter to your counter is a guy who has no ties with Miami at all would have zero ties to the board to suck up to.

Been wondering this for awhile, may require an insider to divulge:

Do the players (young? veterans on team?) like DIaz a lot (or at all?) I mean: the respect for him as a burly authoritarian figure or former star player or winning HC is not there for obvious reasons, but do they like him enough to (play extra hard) to try and save his job? Don't shoot the messenger, but if Diaz wins out, I doubt he will be replaced at year's end. If that does happen, blame the improving players, LOL.

Yes, winning out is so unlikely this is probably ****ing in the wind. (Pun intended.)

Advertisement
i don't believe there is only 1 coach who would win a championship at UM. After all 4 coaches have won championships here, including Coker. And considering that every single name being mentioned has not won a title means it is nothing more than absolute speculation as to whether Mario would be better than Stoops of a number of other coaches. I'm not saying this is an easy job but unless we are getting Meyer, Saban, or Swinney every coach carries hope and questions marks.

You also run the risk of what we see in the pros when the front office conflicts with coaching staff on personnel decisions. It's a cool idea, but if you don't have folks that cooperate or see eye to eye, then you have a power struggle. It's like that old Parcells saying, "If you want me to cook, let me shop for the ingredients" (or something like that).

Advertisement
Advertisement
A good idea but does any program have that? It's not like we're behind the curve like we were for so long with our facilities.
I see players from S fla balling all over the country. Players we need. players we didn’t even recruit. IMO the key to getting back to competing nationally is going to be finding those under the radar players, the ones Alabama and Georgia aren’t focusing on, and making them Hurricanes.

I believe that we used to do a better job getting those guys, and it paid off for us.

The things Alonzo pointed out are the same things Alabama does, and their mostly cultural things that don’t change over time. Things like sitting players who don’t perform. Shlt we need.

I see players from S fla balling all over the country. Players we need. players we didn’t even recruit. IMO the key to getting back to competing nationally is going to be finding those under the radar players, the ones Alabama and Georgia aren’t focusing on, and making them Hurricanes.

I believe that we used to do a better job getting those guys, and it paid off for us.
But we're not losing those guys because we're not identifying them. I mean, I am sure there are instances like that, but by and large, we are losing guys because we're not winning. If you win, player eval becomes easier b/c kids want to come here.

Advertisement
Back