Sam Shields & Wiggins

This is revisionist history. Sam Shields was getting Leggett comparisons at WR. He dropped everything and was not physical. He got his confidence back at gunner and eventually developed into a corner.

Herb Waters might still be in the NFL if he made the transition a year earlier. Here is a thread on the topic from 2015:

Call it what you want, but Lance had more fight in his pinkie than Wiggins or Pope. These two, I'm not even joking, are our worst two starters that I can recall.

Would you suggest Lance had tried out corner? He's faster at the same size approximately.

You've really dug your heels in here. I'm telling you right now, there is nothing to suggest Wiggins or Leggett would've done well at corner. Neither have any kind of fight, fluidity in their hips, or ball skills to play the position. Sure, they have speed, but that is absolutely it.

Pope would've been a better attempt. Still wrong, but you could make a slightly better argument there. He would be bullied by average receivers.

Gotta say, your takes are just weird at times. This is near the top of the list. He just needs to bounce with his boy Pope or hit the books hard. Their playing days are numbered. They gave it a go, no shame in that at all, but it isn't in the cards. They'll both be going pro in something other than football.

Advertisement
Was shields considered soft as a WR? I cant recall. Wiggins seems too soft to be able to play defense
Shields played special teams and hit people, hard to. Shields likely played db in high school as well.

Wiggins is stiff as a board. Doesnt have the demeanor or understanding for it. He needs to improve himself as a wr

He needs to improve himself as a wr

I don’t see any way he improves. He fights the ball. It’s been like that since he got here. The only reason he is on the field is because he’s 6’3 and runs like a deer.

We built Shields up by putting him at gunner. He was soft at WR. Maybe Wiggins is open to that. If not, the door is wide open for him.

You're severely underselling Shields' athletic ability, even when he was at the U, by using him as a barometer for Wiggins. Sam Shields was so smooth, quick, and sudden as a receiver that the transition to CB was easy for him from a physical standpoint. Same as Corn Elder as a RB.

This is definitely not Dee Wiggins.

Advertisement
I never watched him play highschool ball or any video tape of him. N with pope the only tape I seen of him was from 7v7. So that makes me worried that we would pick kids that have not produced on the actual field with pads on. But balled out in 7v7. Or Wiggins who if u ask me was a take just to get pope bc they went to the same school.

I don’t see any way he improves. He fights the ball. It’s been like that since he got here. The only reason he is on the field is because he’s 6’3 and runs like a deer.

We built Shields up by putting him at gunner. He was soft at WR. Maybe Wiggins is open to that. If not, the door is wide open for him.
He'll be what he is next year too. Catch about 30 catches 3 tds. Defense aint for him. There isnt really a need for him to go to DB if he is going to continue to get big reps. And like you said he is 6'3 or whatever the tallest of our wrs

I never watched him play highschool ball or any video tape of him. N with pope the only tape I seen of him was from 7v7. So that makes me worried that we would pick kids that have not produced on the actual field with pads on. But balled out in 7v7. Or Wiggins who if u ask me was a take just to get pope bc they went to the same school.
Wiggins transferred there just for his sr year.

We already had him..he was a Killian kid..but him and Pope grew up together, Scaife as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back