Salvaging the 2019 class

View as article
Cant stand Daugherty. Dudes real creepy. Him & cooney (I'd like to slap him in & out of a coma)can go far as I'm concerned. Far as this class goes what's setting us back is we have ZERO way to battle what opposing coaches are saying about us & were gonna lose alot through transfers as well. Negative recruiting is part of life but when all that's being pointed out relates to coaching & scheme yet you refuse to address it,then it's like an open wound... we couldve gotten ahead of all this ****. Easiest way imaginable is make some adjustments to scheme & depth chart... doesnt really seem we care.
How many are we expected to lose thru transfers?

Advertisement
How many are we expected to lose thru transfers?

Is there a single guy on this roster that we should gives any ***** if they transferred?

Granted nobody has been put in positions to succeed but we are a LONG way off from a few guys making a difference between 6-6 and 11-1.

I think we should just take a smaller class. Don’t do the “South Florida sleeper” thing.

For every Sheldrick Redwine, there are five Robert Knowles’s.

Better to save the spots for some 4-stars next cycle

That is a lie and if you think we sign all the guys committed and our class would be great than I know you don't know **** about football. We need OT badly dude. We will need Cb badly again... we lose 2 and our best guy will be a jr

Apparently you didnt see where i said we need a couple more o-linemen in the part of the post you copied and pasted. We'll be alright at db from the class the year before, plus we got athletes coming in, like damarius, so no panic their at db, this next class is for filling other positions. Im not sure how you judge classes but lets hope yoy not a star gazer!

DMoney, is the "State of Miami" still what it once was? You sure can't prove it by the product UM, FSU and UF are putting on the field. Going back a number of years now, too.

This large area sure as **** doesn't provide enough quality linemen and you have to be struck by the poor fundamentals many of the SoFla kids are bringing with them to the college level. Just overall, when you look at the SIZE of the top teams, our guys look like stick figures (with a couple exceptions).

Lastly, you stated we took Shireffs over Lamar Jackson? Was that REALLY our choice? I thought we took Shireffs very late and it was more a case of settling for what was out there.

Advertisement
DMoney, is the "State of Miami" still what it once was? You sure can't prove it by the product UM, FSU and UF are putting on the field. Going back a number of years now, too.

This large area sure as **** doesn't provide enough quality linemen and you have to be struck by the poor fundamentals many of the SoFla kids are bringing with them to the college level. Just overall, when you look at the SIZE of the top teams, our guys look like stick figures (with a couple exceptions).

Lastly, you stated we took Shireffs over Lamar Jackson? Was that REALLY our choice? I thought we took Shireffs very late and it was more a case of settling for what was out there.

I’ll put it to you like this: do you think Bama and Georgia hired Cristobal/Coley because they like Cuban coffee?

Need help on defense, and quickly. The 2018 class was fantastic, but it was almost entirely an impact offensive class.

I was hoping the 2019 class would mirror that, but on the defensive side of the ball. This looks to be a total fail in that regard.

Bogle now becomes maybe the most important remaining target. And they need another big time corner ASAP.

There is no salvaging this class now. We will be lucky if we get decent 3*’s

The problem is kids in South Florida know more than anyone how bad our program sucks. They know players like Donaldson went to Miami and underperformed. I am all for keeping the local talent as that is a strategy of every program. I would like to see us go out to the midwest and try and get a few OL. These kids wake up early every day to work on the farm and while most probably don't want to live in a city like Miami, I expect you can find a few that wouldn't mind it. Schools like Kansas, K-State, Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska all suck and still get good Olinemen. We just need two of the better OL looking at one of those schools.

Advertisement
The problem is kids in South Florida know more than anyone how bad our program sucks. They know players like Donaldson went to Miami and underperformed. I am all for keeping the local talent as that is a strategy of every program. I would like to see us go out to the midwest and try and get a few OL. These kids wake up early every day to work on the farm and while most probably don't want to live in a city like Miami, I expect you can find a few that wouldn't mind it. Schools like Kansas, K-State, Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska all suck and still get good Olinemen. We just need two of the better OL looking at one of those schools.

This

Advertisement

In the past 20 years, our OOS linemen have been much worse than the local guys.

The good farm boys don’t like Miami, and we aren’t close enough to identify sleepers. I think we need to stack OL classes like last year where we get SEC-type talents from Florida.

My concern is coaching. Searels inherited a lot of bad players from Kehoe but they are getting worse. It’s not like the Coastal is filled with dominant lines. We’re underachieving with average at best talent.

In the past 20 years, our OOS linemen have been much worse than the local guys.

The good farm boys don’t like Miami, and we aren’t close enough to identify sleepers. I think we need to stack OL classes like last year where we get SEC-type talents from Florida.

My concern is coaching. Searels inherited a lot of bad players from Kehoe but they are getting worse. It’s not like the Coastal is filled with dominant lines. We’re underachieving with average at best talent.

Sure, because we recruited rejects. Look, I am not saying we don't recruit talent in our own backyard but look at the 2001 line.

LT - Bryant McKinnie - New Jersey
LG - Sherko Haji-Rasouli - Canada
C - Brett Romberg - Canada
RG - Martin Bibla - Pennsylvania
RT - Joaquin Gonzalez - Florida (Miami)

edit: important to note that Joaquin would like for us to dominate

Sure, because we recruited rejects. Look, I am not saying we don't recruit talent in our own backyard but look at the 2001 line.

LT - Bryant McKinnie - New Jersey
LG - Sherko Haji-Rasouli - Canada
C - Brett Romberg - Canada
RG - Martin Bibla - Pennsylvania
RT - Joaquin Gonzalez - Florida (Miami)

That line was the best and worst thing that ever happened to us, because we tried (unsuccessfully) to recreate that formula ever since. Kehoe was constantly reaching for Canadian and Pennsylvania bums. Even our highly rated OOS guys (Youngblood, Symonette, McMeans) were busts.

The good guys we’ve had lately were local: Brandon Linder, Chris Myers, Vernon Carey, Ereck Flowers, Orlando Franklin, Danny Isidora, Jon Feliciano, etc.

Obviously, most of the best linemen are elsewhere. But I just don’t think we are in a good position to land them because of culture. Need to be very smart in terms of who we pursue.

Advertisement
That line was the best and worst thing that ever happened to us, because we tried (unsuccessfully) to recreate that formula ever since. Kehoe was constantly reaching for Canadian and Pennsylvania bums. Even our highly rated OOS guys (Youngblood, Symonette, McMeans) were busts.

The good guys we’ve had lately were local: Brandon Linder, Chris Myers, Vernon Carey, Ereck Flowers, Orlando Franklin, Danny Isidora, Jon Feliciano, etc.

Obviously, most of the best linemen are elsewhere. But I just don’t think we are in a good position to land them because of culture. Need to be very smart in terms of who we pursue.

We statistically recruit less and lower rated guys outside of Florida, so of course, we are going to have bust. We need to go after the same dudes that Michigan is going after, they are OL U when it comes to the NFL. Again it doesn't mean we give up on Florida guys, but it clearly isn't enough.

completely agree. The s.fla kids are aware of our issues and hear the community and others around them say about us. I would be planted after a midwest-TX Ol EVERY YEAR.

completely agree. The s.fla kids are aware of our issues and hear the community and others around them say about us. I would be planted after a midwest-TX Ol EVERY YEAR.

You agree with me...a first!

We statistically recruit less and lower rated guys outside of Florida, so of course, we are going to have bust. We need to go after the same dudes that Michigan is going after, they are OL U when it comes to the NFL. Again it doesn't mean we give up on Florida guys, but it clearly isn't enough.

Those National guys tend to go to schools that have a record for producing high round NFL draft picks.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Stanford, USC, Bama

If I were a highly rated o lineman from outside of Florida, why do I choose Miami over any of them? Because of Brandon Linder or Flowers (who got thrown under the bus to protect Eli and is now a punch line)?

Advertisement
Back