Salvaging the 2019 class

Advertisement
I only feel optimistic when the people I'm relying on have demonstrated reason for optimism. I don't see this admin, AD and staff making the "drastic" changes we need. Plus you are not accepting the reality that winning brings to recruiting and showing promise even when you lose (exciting play)/ aggressive play making defense. Neither do we have or will ever have under Richt. We are doomed now and later with Richt at the helm. Only option is a energetic "young" coach with an exciting offense, connection to young people and same spirit to recruiting.

We will take the recruiting scraps, left-overs, and castoffs from other teams and try to make foie gras out of it.

The only problem is we have a taco truck chef in charge of the kitchen.

Hopefully we find more last minute redwines than knowles

We will take the recruiting scraps, left-overs, and castoffs from other teams and try to make foie gras out of it.

The only problem is we have a taco truck chef in charge of the kitchen.

Coach Richt and Jon game planning this week.

whatshegot.gif

Usually it's a new staff that salvages a class, not the current staff that caused the damage in the first place. The way we finished last season killed our recruiting momentum, and this season has us literally going backwards. There is no way to salvage this recruiting cycle with the embarrassingly pathetic product Reckt keeps putting on the field.

In addition to the poor on-field performance, I haven't seen anything special about this staff in player evaluation or recruiting. I hope they can put something decent together to give his eventual replacement something to work with, but it seems a false hope to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
True. But as you know, it still has to be trained. If they’re not doing the “right” things, or in some cases - in the right sequence, then they’re not going to get an optimal result. Or worse, concentrating on less important things has led to detraining.

Who was the NFL DB who trained with some guru from since he was in high school who only believed in explosive lifts exclusively? I think he. Was from AZ…

Adam Archuleta. I remember him.
There was a guy I trained with in the 82D who followed Archuleta's training regiment when lifting weights.

Last edited:
DMoney--what is your take on Michael Cartwright (2019) of Champagant High? He has a UCF offer and other school below that level. I see were we have not offered. He looks a tad stiff and a tad slow. His recruiter is Searels so when I saw that it raised a flag.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9393524/Michael-Cartwright

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Michael-Cartwright-100564/RecruitInterests/

I personally prefer Llyod Willis 2020 class of Killian as he plays a tougher level of competition at LT and at 6-7 and 290 moves quicker. Still raw but exceptionally long arms. No offers so far.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10642263/Lloyd-Willis

Advertisement
DMoney--what is your take on Michael Cartwright (2019) of Champagant High? He has a UCF offer and other school below that level. I see were we have not offered. He looks a tad stiff and a tad slow. His recruiter is Searels so when I saw that it raised a flag.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/9393524/Michael-Cartwright

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Michael-Cartwright-100564/RecruitInterests/

I saw him in person at camp. Very impressive frame. Raw and was beat often, although he had a couple excellent reps. Like you said, he's not a great mover. Don't know if that will improve as he becomes more familiar with the game (Bahamian transfer).

I saw him in person at camp. Very impressive frame. Raw and was beat often, although he had a couple excellent reps. Like you said, he's not a great mover. Don't know if that will improve as he becomes more familiar with the game (Bahamian transfer).
D, I may have missed it, but how do we still feel about Stevenson, Bogle, and Haselwood? Have you heard anything recent?

D, I may have missed it, but how do we still feel about Stevenson, Bogle, and Haselwood? Have you heard anything recent?

Nothing new. I keep hearing good things on Haselwood but don't know how the losing streak affected his thinking. My guess is not much.

It is a wrap man.

People believing Richt is going to a pull off a hail mary and resurrect his coaching tenure here are simply wearing the orange and green glasses.

It is over.

We will have a new coach 2020/2021. Make other plans until then.

Advertisement
Nothing new. I keep hearing good things on Haselwood but don't know how the losing streak affected his thinking. My guess is not much.

If I’m those young men’s advisor I run from richt as fast as we could, he did this crap every year he’s been here. He’s coaching decisions has really effected kids draft status. Kids are trying to get to the league.

LoL the doom and gloom on here is comical. If all the guys sign who are committed now, that's already a great class. Add a couple more o-linemen and let's roll, who cares about the nerd website rankings, those committed are some good evaluations by this staff. I like payton at wideout, got good speed, might turn into better speed once he starts working out. Who cares who decommits, i just celebrate the True Canes that sign.

Advertisement
Salvage class with realistic targets

WR Haselwood
TE Wydermyer
DE Bogle
DE Summerall
DB Stevenson
JUCO DT
JUCO LT
Local OL
Grad Transfer QB

WR Payton
TE Hodges
OL Tarquin
OL Eguakun
DT Blissett
DT Munoz
DT Holley
DE Williams
DE Harvey
LB Huff
LB Brooks
LB Solomon
CB Couch
CB Brownlee
CB Good
S Smith
P Hedley

That class would accomplish
QB Ready to play starter and let Williams and perry develop one more year and allow one to take the lead as the backup

RB Skip all in on Chaney in 2020 plus we have Homer Dallas Lingard Davis

WR Haselwood day 1 impact player like Richards and Payton another weapon

TE Hodges and Jalen add needed elite depth to Jordan and Mallory

OL JUCO day 1 starter to go with Reed Scaife Donaldson and Gaynor or Mahoney starting. Depth of Campbell Herbert Hillary and 3 freshman plus a new OL coach likely

DT Day is JUCO starter to go with Bethel Nesta Ford and Miller. 3 signees redshirt and develop with some upside especially Blissett. Miss on elites.

DE all four are studs led by Bogle and Harvey added to Rosseau Garvin Patchan and Joyner. Deep room.

LB Huff Solomon Brooks all studs and needed badly.

CB couch and Brownlee can ball and are added to Ivey Bandy Blades Frierson and Bethel for a deeper room with talent. Good is boom or bust type kid with elite speed.

S Smith and Stevenson elite dogs from Dade to go with Hall and Carter.

P Biggest potentional impact player next year.

Not a bad class

Most all of those players increased their strenght lifts and testing numbers. I recall someone inside the U weight room took photos of the big boards listing the positions strengths of each group and they were impressive in most instances. The posts are somewhere in the archives on this site. I remember Homer squatting 490 and benching 340, DJ improving bench press almost 100 pounds and similar in squat...Robert Burns bench pressing 400 and squatting 500.
In the D line Willis over 400 in the bench, Joe Jackson 380 bench, Garvin adding muscle and bench up 75 pounds from the previous year.
Strength program is fine imo, the defense doesn't get worn down like they did with Golden and they're on the field all the time. The o-line looks weak because they're mostly ****** athletes and the scheme is dog****/Searles can't coach worth a ****.

LoL the doom and gloom on here is comical. If all the guys sign who are committed now, that's already a great class. Add a couple more o-linemen and let's roll, who cares about the nerd website rankings, those committed are some good evaluations by this staff. I like payton at wideout, got good speed, might turn into better speed once he starts working out. Who cares who decommits, i just celebrate the True Canes that sign.
That is a lie and if you think we sign all the guys committed and our class would be great than I know you don't know **** about football. We need OT badly dude. We will need Cb badly again... we lose 2 and our best guy will be a jr

This class is a disaster right now. And I don't see a path to the Top 10. The personnel department does a great job, but they are limited by the results on the field.

With all that said, there is still time on the clock. I think back to the 2015 class. Even in a brutal cycle, you still found a big-time safety combo (JJ/Redwine), DT combo (McIntosh/Norton), CB (Mike Jackson) and RB (Mark Walton). The volume of busts is what set us back.

Here's how we can do better than 2015.

Finish with the big names. This is an easy one. We are in the top group for Tyrique Stevenson, Jadon Haselwood and Khris Bogle. Getting two of three is must. Getting all three would bring some good feelings back in this class.

Get quality from South Florida. This one is predictable coming from me, but necessary. The 2015 still haunts us in two big ways. First, we signed Evan Shirreffs instead of Lamar Jackson. Second, every OL that we signed north of Tampa turned out to be a bust. Milo, Loftus, Jones and Mahoney aren't Miami caliber. There were several other OOS washouts including Jerome Washington, Fines and Gordinier.

We need to get more players like Sheldrick Redwine. This site wanted offers for Redwine and Reshad Fenton the entire cycle. Both guys turned out to be studs and future pros. But what about local busts like James King, Rob Knowles (who I liked) and Terrance Henley? The key is focusing on guys who have legitimate Power 5 interest. There is time to flip them.

Recruit your own team. You are always going to have attrition. But we need to limit the transfers from the 2018 class. That is a talented group from top to bottom, and a lot of those guys are better than what's available this year. The Ezzards and Friersons can make an impact for us.

JUCOs and Grad Transfers. I love JUCOs. Butch recruited JUCOs even when he was signing Hall of Famers out of high school. They are more physically mature and some are freakish late-bloomers. If the character is right, bring them in. There is a need at OT, DT and DE.

This staff has done an awesome with grad transfers. I'd like us to pick up a 23-year-old blocking TE/FB. Those guys don't always go pro, so you can get a high-quality role player.

Richt and the staff are experienced, good recruiters. The class is bad because the team is bad and we're competing with top teams. I am very curious to see how they use the next three months.
Cant stand Daugherty. Dudes real creepy. Him & cooney (I'd like to slap him in & out of a coma)can go far as I'm concerned. Far as this class goes what's setting us back is we have ZERO way to battle what opposing coaches are saying about us & were gonna lose alot through transfers as well. Negative recruiting is part of life but when all that's being pointed out relates to coaching & scheme yet you refuse to address it,then it's like an open wound... we couldve gotten ahead of all this ****. Easiest way imaginable is make some adjustments to scheme & depth chart... doesnt really seem we care.

Advertisement
Back