Sad day for CFB if realignment occurs

Advertisement
The powers that be in CFB are letting shortsighted greed blind them to the fact that they are destroying CFB, and the money they are chasing will ultimately dry up if they stay the current course. The last thing CFB needs is a greater divide between the haves and the have nots, but that is exactly what Texas and OU moving to the SEC is going to create. It will further result in less parity across CFB, which will make the product less interesting for viewers.

If the folks making the decisions were thinking long-term, they would realize that disbanding the existing conference model altogether would be the best move for CFB. Instead of the current structure, they should create 4 conferences of 16 teams based on geographic location and historical rivalries. All of the conferences would then be subject to a uniform set of rules and scheduling would be done at the top of the house rather than conference by conference. TV rights would also be negotiated at the aggregate level, which would result in a significantly more lucrative financial package than the sum of the parts under today's structure. The TV money would be split evenly across the 64 teams and all boats would rise because payouts would increase for every program across the board. The programs would still be differentiated financially based on booster support, ticket sales and merchandise revenues.

This would restore the magic of historical rivalries that have fallen by the wayside because of conference realignment and set CFB on a sustainable and stable path going forward.

Imagine a world where Miami, FSU and UF were in the same conference, playing each other every single year. That's how CFB should be.

I'd rather go back to the days of Independents.

Conference games will be moved to 10. That's pretty guaranteed to happen.
Why? Haven't seen that a single place but cis posters speculation. They have 14 teams now and play 8, what makes it a logical jump to 10 from 16? Even if 10 happens, which of course it could, it still does nothing to ND if the 12 regular season games remain because there's still two ooc games then and as long as that's the case they will schedule the same as they always have. The only scenario they get squeezed and their hand is forced is an 11 game regular season with 10 conference games which not a single team or conference has hinted as the likely scenario yet

Advertisement
Why? Haven't seen that a single place but cis posters speculation. They have 14 teams now and play 8, what makes it a logical jump to 10 from 16? Even if 10 happens, which of course it could, it still does nothing to ND if the 12 regular season games remain because there's still two ooc games then and as long as that's the case they will schedule the same as they always have. The only scenario they get squeezed and their hand is forced is an 11 game regular season with 10 conference games which not a single team or conference has hinted as the likely scenario yet
They aren't going to move to a 12 team playoff without reducing the number of regular season games. Also, with more teams in a conference you have to increase the number of conference games so that all teams can play each other more frequently.

They aren't going to move to a 12 team playoff without reducing the number of regular season games. Also, with more teams in a conference you have to increase the number of conference games so that all teams can play each other more frequently.
And that means a bigger payout for conference TV rights. The SEC is not bringing these two teams in to not have more premier games to sell.

SEC wants as many teams as possible in the playoff whether they expand it or not. Its possible based on their realignment they could have 3 or even all 4 teams from the conference in.

That's what us as fans would want, not so much the teams. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think there's any chance in **** there's 10 conference games in an 11 game schedule, and it hasn't even been suggested by anyone outside of random message board posters, so I'll stick with my side of things. Any scenario outside of the 10/11 guess changes nothing for nd so unless that happens, which I definitely don't see, it's a moot point counting them as joining the acc anyway.

Advertisement
The powers that be in CFB are letting shortsighted greed blind them to the fact that they are destroying CFB, and the money they are chasing will ultimately dry up if they stay the current course. The last thing CFB needs is a greater divide between the haves and the have nots, but that is exactly what Texas and OU moving to the SEC is going to create. It will further result in less parity across CFB, which will make the product less interesting for viewers.

If the folks making the decisions were thinking long-term, they would realize that disbanding the existing conference model altogether would be the best move for CFB. Instead of the current structure, they should create 4 conferences of 16 teams based on geographic location and historical rivalries. All of the conferences would then be subject to a uniform set of rules and scheduling would be done at the top of the house rather than conference by conference. TV rights would also be negotiated at the aggregate level, which would result in a significantly more lucrative financial package than the sum of the parts under today's structure. The TV money would be split evenly across the 64 teams and all boats would rise because payouts would increase for every program across the board. The programs would still be differentiated financially based on booster support, ticket sales and merchandise revenues.

This would restore the magic of historical rivalries that have fallen by the wayside because of conference realignment and set CFB on a sustainable and stable path going forward.

Imagine a world where Miami, FSU and UF were in the same conference, playing each other every single year. That's how CFB should be.
It was already destroyed with the NIL. It doesn't even matter anymore. College football is toast.

As the line between amateur sports and professional sports diminishes, so will my interest. I used to watch college football most of Saturday and any other nights it was on. If I had to go to a bar to watch out games, that's what I did.

I don't know if it's fatherhood, a different set of priorities, or the chasing of the money that's done it, but I pay maybe 10 to 20 percent the attention to it that I used to. This was the first college basketball season I literally didn't even watch a game.

It is what it is and I can't say I'm any worse for it. I just tune in far far less. I don't even keep up with who is in what conference anymore.

I should add I haven't watched an NFL, NBA, or MLB game in two or three years. Sort of went the same trajectory as NCAA sports are.
I'm headed there. Only watch the NBA Finals last 3 games. Haven't watched baseball live in 2 years. I think it's the chasing the money and free time for me.

Advertisement
If Texas and Oklahoma can leave to join the SEC with 4 years left on their Grant of Rights deal with the Big XII, what makes you think ND won't jump ship to the Big 10 if the opportunity should arise? With the crazy $$$ out there, ACC's deal with ND would just be a speed bump on their way to the Big 10 (if they see fit).

If Texas and Oklahoma can leave to join the SEC with 4 years left on their Grant of Rights deal with the Big XII, what makes you think ND won't jump ship to the Big 10 if the opportunity should arise? With the crazy $$$ out there, ACC's deal with ND would just be a speed bump on their way to the Big 10 (if they see fit).
If Texas and OU leave the Big12, they will have to pay the Big12 a very, very hefty amount of money. My understanding is that the amount ND would have to pay to get out of it's deal with the ACC is much, much larger.

The hilarious thing is that The Longhorn Network started all of this chicanery a decade ago, with Colorado, Texas A&M and Nebraska bolting. Texas would not revenue share with the rest of the Big 12.

In the SEC scenario, that once controversial terrestrial network would simply become SEC Channel #2.

Advertisement
The hilarious thing is that The Longhorn Network started all of this chicanery a decade ago, with Colorado, Texas A&M and Nebraska bolting. Texas would not revenue share with the rest of the Big 12.

In the SEC scenario, that once controversial terrestrial network would simply become SEC Channel #2.
I’d argue we started all of these dominos moving. Problem is we got lazy and our conference missed the big picture of football being the money maker.

Any chance we get some reconsideration by a certain W Va recruit now that they will no longer be a part of a Power 5 conference?

Clemson Michigan FSU Ohio St also rumored to be in contact with the SEC as well …we’re f^cked

Clemson Michigan FSU Ohio St also rumored to be in contact with the SEC as well …we’re f^cked
If that's the cases all conferences are done and cfb is going to be one consolidated conference. I'd wager we get in... depending on how big this conference is.

Advertisement
Back