Sad day for CFB if realignment occurs

Lol...what? How could anybody decide who's "worthy" to be in the whole 64 teams? What about all the rivalries with 80+ games played? UNC in but not Duke? NCST but not Wake Forest? Wisconsin but not Minnesota?
Personally, I wish they used a method like the Euro soccer leagues. The best teams in the lower leagues (think G5 schools) get promoted and the worst teams in the higher leagues get demoted. The P5 schools that love getting the huge conference payout checks but hate spending it to improve their programs would have to step down and be replaced by teams who are trying to win. You could do it every few years so teams that get bumped down have an opportunity to move back up if they win at the lower level.

Advertisement
if it wasnt for the error of allowing a certain incompetent AD down in austin get involved.. the 16 team superconferences would have already been a thing by now.

luckily, this round is being played above the AD heads and the wheels are already set in motion.
personally.. i'd say even money OU/Texas actually end us secsecsec.... the leak was 100% a desperation tactic from aggies to keep texas out.
but 99% chance they leave the big12...i could see both easily in any of the conferences...but not the big12

i think we'll see some re-shuffling between the big10/ACC/SEC/PAC into the (4) 16 team super conferences which will make up the 64 university that will split from the NCAA.

fun times

67d4e8_f5b72142a4d74296b554d4cd05da9401~mv2.jpg

As the line between amateur sports and professional sports diminishes, so will my interest. I used to watch college football most of Saturday and any other nights it was on. If I had to go to a bar to watch out games, that's what I did.

I don't know if it's fatherhood, a different set of priorities, or the chasing of the money that's done it, but I pay maybe 10 to 20 percent the attention to it that I used to. This was the first college basketball season I literally didn't even watch a game.

It is what it is and I can't say I'm any worse for it. I just tune in far far less. I don't even keep up with who is in what conference anymore.

I should add I haven't watched an NFL, NBA, or MLB game in two or three years. Sort of went the same trajectory as NCAA sports are.

Bro, totally the same. I was reading your comment and it was like I typed it. Exactly!

Why is Texas leaving the Big12? I thought the Longhorn Network was keeping them happy. No way SEC accepts the Longhorn Network deal as is.

Advertisement
Sixty-four teams. Four conferences of 16 teams each. Two divisions per conference of eight teams each. Eight total division winners play for four conference championships, enter a four-team playoff for the title. Each team plays every team in their division plus two or three. So nine or ten total regular season, plus conference championship, plus playoff, plus national championship means at most 13 games played in a season.

No more Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Duke, etc etc etc.

This is the way things should have went when the BCS came about.
That's pretty much exactly what I was envisioning.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here OP. If you're all for super conferences, I believe this UT/OU thing will probably be the first step of that. All of the championship contenders would be in the SEC/Big10/ACC (lol pac 12 get ****ed), so your super conferences are practically already there.
The super conferences that are likely to come from this round of realignment make no real sense though, geographically or from a historical rivalry perspective. TV rights will also continue to be negotiated at the conference level. What is happening right now, is nothing like what I described in my OP.

You are probably right... What does the ACC end up looking like????
IDK, but it’s probably depending on what ND decided to do. If they decide to go ACC, I can see another team or two eventually coming with them (to get to 16). If they go B1G, then the ALL bets will be off.

Advertisement
Lol...what? How could anybody decide who's "worthy" to be in the whole 64 teams? What about all the rivalries with 80+ games played? UNC in but not Duke? NCST but not Wake Forest? Wisconsin but not Minnesota?
With 64 teams, there is going to be some schools left out. The programs that are historically the worst are the most likely. Iowa State and Kansas are two of the bottom 5 worst programs amongst the big boys, so they would be on the chopping block.

Mind you, the model for football might be different, and probably should be different, than the model for any other college sport. That means a school like Kansas could be on the outside looking in for football, but on the inside for basketball.

IDK, but it’s probably depending on what ND decided to do. If they decide to go ACC, I can see another team or two eventually coming with them (to get to 16). If they go B1G, then the ALL bets will be off.
If ND joins a conference, they have to join the ACC. The are contractually bound and the financial penalty for breaking that contract is quite enormous.

Why is Texas leaving the Big12? I thought the Longhorn Network was keeping them happy. No way SEC accepts the Longhorn Network deal as is.
Texas especially has a track record being greedy. Even as of now the money they gross is far and away the most in the nation. And The money both them and OU could bring in from SEC affiliation would trump what they bring in even now..if this happens it will lead to another conference realignment arms race.

Advertisement
The Big East.
No, if the ACC picked up ND/PSU, ND/TCU, or ND/Baylor, that would be as good of a boost for the ACC as anything the Big 10 would do. Let's say the Big 10 picks up USCw/UCLA or USCw/Oregon. The ACC would benefit more from the addition of ND/TCU than the Big 10 would from either of those combinations. ND is a bigger prize than really any other program.

With 64 teams, there is going to be some schools left out. The programs that are historically the worst are the most likely. Iowa State and Kansas are two of the bottom 5 worst programs amongst the big boys, so they would be on the chopping block.

Mind you, the model for football might be different, and probably should be different, than the model for any other college sport. That means a school like Kansas could be on the outside looking in for football, but on the inside for basketball.

I get your point, but the irony in the 2 schools you mentioned lol. Both Iowa State and Kansas own a spot in the top 10 of longest continuous rivalries in FBS (both against Kansas St).

With all this talk about deep rooted Rivalries as the backbone of my argument, here's some other facts.
Nebraska gave 0 ***** about ending the following rivalries when they left the Big 12:
vs Kansas (Ended at 105 years, was the longest continous Rivalry in FBS at the time)
vs Iowa St (90 years)
vs Kansas St (89 years)
vs Missouri (89 years)

TA&MU also gave 0 fvcks about their rivalry with Texas (118 games played) when they opted to join the SEC.

Advertisement
I get your point, but the irony in the 2 schools you mentioned lol. Both Iowa State and Kansas own a spot in the top 10 of longest continuous rivalries in FBS (both against Kansas St).

With all this talk about deep rooted Rivalries as the backbone of my argument, here's some other facts.
Nebraska gave 0 ***** about ending the following rivalries when they left the Big 12:
vs Kansas (Ended at 105 years, was the longest continous Rivalry in FBS at the time)
vs Iowa St (90 years)
vs Kansas St (89 years)
vs Missouri (89 years)

TA&MU also gave 0 fvcks about their rivalry with Texas (118 games played) when they opted to join the SEC.
There are historical rivalries that actually matter and there are historical rivalries that nobody cares about. Nobody cares about Iowa State and KU's rivalry. They are horrible programs. Texas/aTm, Miami/Florida, Miami/FSU, ND/Michigan, etc. Those are the rivalries that I'm talking about preserving. Sure, it would be great to preserve them all, but that's not possible. The difference between my proposal and what is actually happening is my proposal prioritizes historical rivalries and geographic location. What is actually happening cares about none of that.

vs Iowa St (90 years)
vs Kansas St (89 years)
vs Missouri (89 years)

Said another way, with what is happening right now, you have a bunch of individual players jockeying for what is best for their individual programs without any regard for what that will do to the sport in general. Parity, rivalries, and the pageantry of CFB are the lifeblood of that sport. The more things you do to erode that, the less people will care about it, which means less money. People are already tired of the same 4 teams in the playoffs every year. Nobody wants to watch that. So, what are they doing about it? They are talking about expanding the playoff to 12 teams. What's that going to do? Absolutely nothing. Far more often than not, you'll still have the same 4 teams in the final four. It will achieve nothing.

Advertisement
Back