Sad day for CFB if realignment occurs

Had a baby last year. Same boat as you. For non-Miami games, there just are not as many upsets and even if there are, it really doesn't matter. The the same 4 teams will be there at the end of every season even if they lose 1-2 games. I would rather spend time with my kid on Saturday during the day and at a good restaurant with friends at night.

For Miami games, I just can't get upset or have it impact my day anymore. Even during the Golden years, I would let the games really affect my mood. Last year during the UNC game, I turned to my wife and said, well that's a bummer, let's go on a walk to the park. I still follow it actively and make a point to watch every game, and waste plenty of time on here, but I am not nearly as invested as I was before.

I am with you on the pro leagues too. I did get into the Heat's run last summer, but generally can't be bothered. The only league I find myself watching in recent years is the Premier League if the timing works out.
I am in your boat as well. Its almost like I wrote your post.

Advertisement
I could really care less what they do. It may give them more revenue and prime time tv slots, but that's about. Every team plays on tv.

If you're an Oklahoma or a Texas and you move to the SEC, you just made getting to the CFP a **** of a lot harder. Oklahoma could compete, but Texas would just be a middle of the road team further tarnishing the program.

With this new CFP format coming, teams like UCF and Cincinnati are going to reap the benefits of playing the softest schedules and getting a CFP slot.

So, if ND joins the ACC, do we see conference realignment or a system similar to COVID 2020 where there are no divisions and just the top two finishers play for ACC championship?
ND will never do that, they want their freedom of schedule. They make more money being able to schedule teams like USC annually. I don’t see them ever joining a conference unless the playoff format requires it. ND makes too much money on their current deal to do anything else.

Sixty-four teams. Four conferences of 16 teams each. Two divisions per conference of eight teams each. Eight total division winners play for four conference championships, enter a four-team playoff for the title. Each team plays every team in their division plus two or three. So nine or ten total regular season, plus conference championship, plus playoff, plus national championship means at most 13 games played in a season.

No more Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Duke, etc etc etc.

This is the way things should have went when the BCS came about.
Would they do the same for hoops? Big money in TV deals there. Do they do it by sport? That is a ton of moving parts. Duke is part of a super conference in hoops and Miami is not.

If Texas and OU are "right" by their standards, they'll both be in the 12-team playoffs every year competing for nattys. That won't be the case if they both join the SEC. I get the $ aspect but could it really be that big of a difference between being 8-4 in the SEC every year or being 10-2 and in the playoffs coming from the B12? It's not like Texas is hurting for $. They're hurting for wins.

Advertisement
This goes through and the SEC is going to have so much power they'll be bigger than the NCAA. OP is right in that what's best for CFB is to abandon conferences and put it all under one umbrella, but sadly there is no incentive for the SEC to forego their near monopoly of CFB's best teams and richest TV deals out there and lose that advantage. $300M+ split amongst 16 teams is always going to be better than whatever a 32 or 64 team super conference would provide.

The most likely outcome if anything is for the NCAA to be consolidated into the SEC and we bow down to our sister-******* overlords.

If Texas and OU are "right" by their standards, they'll both be in the 12-team playoffs every year competing for nattys. That won't be the case if they both join the SEC. I get the $ aspect but could it really be that big of a difference between being 8-4 in the SEC every year or being 10-2 and in the playoffs coming from the B12? It's not like Texas is hurting for $. They're hurting for wins.

Being in the SEC will help their recruiting. They saw what a bump joining the SEC was to Texas A&M and their ability to recruit…and they did something about it.

Miami could learn something from that mentality, honestly. We have Blake James sitting on his hands while SEC schools pick off the top recruits in Florida every year. Texas saw that happening in their state and decided to fix the issue.

Wish we had that kind of leadership

2025 the BIG 12's deal with FOX and ESPN is up and so far the networks have held off on negotiations to extend their partnership. This is what it's about. Texas and OU see the risk in sticking with the BIG 12 and have decided to eliminate it.

Advertisement
ND will never do that, they want their freedom of schedule. They make more money being able to schedule teams like USC annually. I don’t see them ever joining a conference unless the playoff format requires it. ND makes too much money on their current deal to do anything else.
Again, expansion of conferences means more conference games (10 likely). Mix that with the playoff expanding to 12 teams and the regular season being shortened, and ND may not be able to schedule a full slate in the four team megaconference world.

The powers that be in CFB are letting shortsighted greed blind them to the fact that they are destroying CFB, and the money they are chasing will ultimately dry up if they stay the current course. The last thing CFB needs is a greater divide between the haves and the have nots, but that is exactly what Texas and OU moving to the SEC is going to create. It will further result in less parity across CFB, which will make the product less interesting for viewers.

If the folks making the decisions were thinking long-term, they would realize that disbanding the existing conference model altogether would be the best move for CFB. Instead of the current structure, they should create 4 conferences of 16 teams based on geographic location and historical rivalries. All of the conferences would then be subject to a uniform set of rules and scheduling would be done at the top of the house rather than conference by conference. TV rights would also be negotiated at the aggregate level, which would result in a significantly more lucrative financial package than the sum of the parts under today's structure. The TV money would be split evenly across the 64 teams and all boats would rise because payouts would increase for every program across the board. The programs would still be differentiated financially based on booster support, ticket sales and merchandise revenues.

This would restore the magic of historical rivalries that have fallen by the wayside because of conference realignment and set CFB on a sustainable and stable path going forward.

Imagine a world where Miami, FSU and UF were in the same conference, playing each other every single year. That's how CFB should be.

Miami has had every opportunity to join the blue bloods, we’ve just been managed by drooling mouthbreathers.

Example…we could have joined the SEC in the 90’s, we turned it down. We could have built a stadium, but we decided to tear the OB down and rent because that was cheaper. We could have invested in facilities and good coaches after Coker was fired, but we didn’t.

It’s starting to look like 30 years of mismanagement, the Miami admin has killed the golden goose. It’s now a long climb back up the mountain.

still…I’d rather be Miami today than 80% of the other teams not in the SEC. We have the resources, we just need the right people to manage them

Wu-Tang is forever
dave chappelle GIF

Again, expansion of conferences means more conference games (10 likely). Mix that with the playoff expanding to 12 teams and the regular season being shortened, and ND may not be able to schedule a full slate in the four team megaconference world.

Yeah. ACC needs to start turning the screws on Notre Dame sooner rather than later. If they join a conference now, it has to be the ACC. But that contract and arrangement runs out in a few years.

Wait a decade, and ND could just as easily join the SEC or the Big 10... and honestly it might be in their interest to do so.

Getting ND to join full time for football needs to be top priority for the ACC right now.

Advertisement
Yeah. ACC needs to start turning the screws on Notre Dame sooner rather than later. If they join a conference now, it has to be the ACC. But that contract and arrangement runs out in a few years.

Wait a decade, and ND could just as easily join the SEC or the Big 10... and honestly it might be in their interest to do so.

Getting ND to join full time for football needs to be top priority for the ACC right now.
The new commish was an associate AD at ND. Hopefully those relationships help get them fully in the fold..

The new commish was an associate AD at ND. Hopefully those relationships help get them fully in the fold..

If the ACC fails to get Notre Dame to join full time for football, then when the Grant of Rights and TV contract expire in a decade, the ACC will collapse the way the Big 12 is about to.

Which might not be a bad thing. One of the majors will pick off Miami and FSU (probably SEC).

Football is either going to 4 super-conferences or 2. And that depends on Notre Dame, and if they're going to be the ones to throw a lifejacket to the ACC.

If the ACC falls, then the SEC will pick off the top teams from the ACC (including Miami) and the Big 10 will pick off the top teams from the PAC.

Advertisement
I agree ND would be much more likely to join or pretty much have to if it went to 10 conference games, but if it stays at 9 they aren't joining anything. Even if the regular season was shortened to 11 instead of 12 that would still leave two non conference games. That would allow everyone to schedule one cupcake and one respectable P5 level game. Guess who sells the most tickets nationwide which is the entire reason the acc bows down to them for the guaranteed 5 games already? They would have no problems whatsoever finding 10-11 teams willing to use 1 out of their 2 out of conference games to schedule them just like right now. IF it went to 10 conference games though, I do agree then their hand would be forced
Conference games will be moved to 10. That's pretty guaranteed to happen.

You can't be serious about Texas or just trying to make yourself feel better. When Texas walks in with big bags and ask you "do you want to play against the best players". The dogs in Tx will spurn Bama and Ohio immediately. I played and I hear the kids.

You must have responded to the wrong post there buddy.

ND may have to. If these conferences are moving to 16 teams, that will come with an increase in conference games. If every conference goes to 10 conference games, they may struggle to find enough teams to play. And that is without the push to shorten the regular season if they expand the playoff to 12 teams.
ND holds cards. They could bounce from the ACC in a heartbeat and go to the Big Ten.

Advertisement
Back