Sad day for CFB if realignment occurs

The super conferences that are likely to come from this round of realignment make no real sense though, geographically or from a historical rivalry perspective. TV rights will also continue to be negotiated at the conference level. What is happening right now, is nothing like what I described in my OP.
Ah so you’re wanting the NCAA to oversee the formation of these super conferences essentially, right?

Advertisement
Ah so you’re wanting the NCAA to oversee the formation of these super conferences essentially, right?
No, the NCAA should not be involved in this level of CFB at all. The 64 teams should create their own commission to oversee everything.

The best possibility (while very slim but I guess a glimmer of possibility) for the ACC would be adding Notre Dame and Penn State. Can’t see Penn State doing it though. And I fear if ND ever did give in and go to a conference fully, it would be the B1G.

1) Florida does not want either Miami or FSU in the SEC.
2) If this falls through and they can get the votes, Clemson and FSU make MUCH more sense than Miami. That’s a worst case scenario for us.

As long as we still have a chair when the music stops, I don't care about the longterm implications.
Thank you sir.

Wonder if there would be all of this "life's not fair" moaning and groaning if we'd won a couple National Championships in the past 10 years instead of going 1-7 in bowl games with zero conference titles or Top 10 finishes.

The system is what the system is.

We get our **** together and get back to winning and this doom and gloom will be gone.

Advertisement
The best possibility (while very slim but I guess a glimmer of possibility) for the ACC would be adding Notre Dame and Penn State. Can’t see Penn State doing it though. And I fear if ND ever did give in and go to a conference fully, it would be the B1G.
I agree that PSU would be a longshot, but from what I understand, they've never truly been happy in the Big 10. As for ND, they are contractually bound to join the ACC if they ever join a conference, and the financial penalties associated with breaking that contractual obligation is quite massive.

I agree that PSU would be a longshot, but from what I understand, they've never truly been happy in the Big 10. As for ND, they are contractually bound to join the ACC if they ever join a conference, and the financial penalties associated with breaking that contractual obligation is quite massive.
Neither of them are joining the acc, especially Penn st. I have no idea why people are even bringing them up. Nobody is leaving the Big for the acc, end of story there. I'm sure they've had complaints about the conference as every team has about their's, but I live two hours away from those child rapists and have never heard anything whatsoever about how they were never truly happy overall in that conference. Not from the fans or the school.

Neither of them are joining the acc, especially Penn st. I have no idea why people are even bringing them up. Nobody is leaving the Big for the acc, end of story there. I'm sure they've had complaints about the conference as every team has about their's, but I live two hours away from those child rapists and have never heard anything whatsoever about how they were never truly happy overall in that conference. Not from the fans or the school.
ND may have to. If these conferences are moving to 16 teams, that will come with an increase in conference games. If every conference goes to 10 conference games, they may struggle to find enough teams to play. And that is without the push to shorten the regular season if they expand the playoff to 12 teams.

Advertisement
As the line between amateur sports and professional sports diminishes, so will my interest. I used to watch college football most of Saturday and any other nights it was on. If I had to go to a bar to watch out games, that's what I did.

I don't know if it's fatherhood, a different set of priorities, or the chasing of the money that's done it, but I pay maybe 10 to 20 percent the attention to it that I used to. This was the first college basketball season I literally didn't even watch a game.

It is what it is and I can't say I'm any worse for it. I just tune in far far less. I don't even keep up with who is in what conference anymore.

I should add I haven't watched an NFL, NBA, or MLB game in two or three years. Sort of went the same trajectory as NCAA sports are.

For me, I want to watch sports for the entertainment value, not to be lectured or "educated".

ND will have no choice but to join the ACC if the OU and Texas to the SEC thing happens. The dominoes will start to fall in the direction of four 16 team conferences, and ND will face MASSIVE scheduling challenges in that world, so they will have no choice.

ND may have to. If these conferences are moving to 16 teams, that will come with an increase in conference games. If every conference goes to 10 conference games, they may struggle to find enough teams to play. And that is without the push to shorten the regular season if they expand the playoff to 12 teams.
Exactly. They will be screwed.

As the line between amateur sports and professional sports diminishes, so will my interest. I used to watch college football most of Saturday and any other nights it was on. If I had to go to a bar to watch out games, that's what I did.

I don't know if it's fatherhood, a different set of priorities, or the chasing of the money that's done it, but I pay maybe 10 to 20 percent the attention to it that I used to. This was the first college basketball season I literally didn't even watch a game.

It is what it is and I can't say I'm any worse for it. I just tune in far far less. I don't even keep up with who is in what conference anymore.

I should add I haven't watched an NFL, NBA, or MLB game in two or three years. Sort of went the same trajectory as NCAA sports are.
This is basically me.

Advertisement
ND will have no choice but to join the ACC if the OU and Texas to the SEC thing happens. The dominoes will start to fall in the direction of four 16 team conferences, and ND will face MASSIVE scheduling challenges in that world, so they will have no choice.
I agree ND would be much more likely to join or pretty much have to if it went to 10 conference games, but if it stays at 9 they aren't joining anything. Even if the regular season was shortened to 11 instead of 12 that would still leave two non conference games. That would allow everyone to schedule one cupcake and one respectable P5 level game. Guess who sells the most tickets nationwide which is the entire reason the acc bows down to them for the guaranteed 5 games already? They would have no problems whatsoever finding 10-11 teams willing to use 1 out of their 2 out of conference games to schedule them just like right now. IF it went to 10 conference games though, I do agree then their hand would be forced

Not that I follow this too closely but the ND comment is pretty interesting. My guess is they can legal or pay their way out of it if they really needed to but interesting tidbit. Thanks for the info. Any way you slice it ND helps the ACC. I loathe them as much as the next guy but it helps and the Miami ND Rivalry would be cool. Penn State would make a ton of sense but as others have stated, the cash would have to work. Also stated by many smarter than me, the ACC would have to get their heads screwed on straight and stop with the basketball conference BS.

I am totally with you that this is pie in the sky stuff and someone else said it correctly, as long as UM has a chair when the music stops, I am cool with it. If ND joins the ACC and Penn State comes the money would come. ND is a national brand, plain and simple. Money would come, how much , no clue. But, this is all pie in the sky stuff and like you have stated, not likely so I will stop. Fun speculation on my part. In the end, split it up geographically into four corners, split the loot and rock and roll.

Advertisement
So, if ND joins the ACC, do we see conference realignment or a system similar to COVID 2020 where there are no divisions and just the top two finishers play for ACC championship?

So, if ND joins the ACC, do we see conference realignment or a system similar to COVID 2020 where there are no divisions and just the top two finishers play for ACC championship?
Probably a North / South split (helps with travel costs for all sports)

IF ND and PSU join

North:
ND
PSU
Cuse
Pitt
BC
VT
UVA
Lousiville

South:
Miami
FSU
Clemson
GT
UNC
NC State
Duke
Wake

Had a baby last year. Same boat as you. For non-Miami games, there just are not as many upsets and even if there are, it really doesn't matter. The the same 4 teams will be there at the end of every season even if they lose 1-2 games. I would rather spend time with my kid on Saturday during the day and at a good restaurant with friends at night.

For Miami games, I just can't get upset or have it impact my day anymore. Even during the Golden years, I would let the games really affect my mood. Last year during the UNC game, I turned to my wife and said, well that's a bummer, let's go on a walk to the park. I still follow it actively and make a point to watch every game, and waste plenty of time on here, but I am not nearly as invested as I was before.

I am with you on the pro leagues too. I did get into the Heat's run last summer, but generally can't be bothered. The only league I find myself watching in recent years is the Premier League if the timing works out.

The new ACC commish touches on it here:

Apparently it is an NCAA requirement to have divisions if above a certain number of conference teams, but they want to remove that after the success of last year's format. I will say, I like the new guy but I worry he is about 5 years too late at this point. Swofford did irreparable damage to this conference with his Tobacco Road cronies.

Advertisement
Back