S.fla Coaches on Who Miami Should Hire (It's Long)

Where was his recruiting prowess before joining Bama's staff? Recruiting for Bama is probably the single easiest job in College Football.

How many coaches are on Alabama's staff? How many assistants recruit for big-time programs?

Cristobal was named consensus recruiter of the year over all of those guys. Saban pays him big money to recruit. Local coaches are unanimous in their praise for his recruiting ability.

Does that mean he should be Head Coach of Miami? **** no. But anybody trying to question his recruiting value is *****ing just to *****.

Would he take a assistant coaching job at Miami? Would Miami be willing to pay him more than 475k that he makes at Bama? I don't want him for HC.

Advertisement
OL coach needs to be a great teacher. You hide recruiters at RB coach/WR coach/TE coach. You don't hire an OL coach just to recruit when your program is so starved for actual coaching.

Nick Saban disagrees, and the OL is pretty important over there.

I have no idea if he's a good teacher or not. But I know he has substantial value as a recruiter.

Normally I agree with you, D, but the OL at Bama is the weakest unit on the team right now and many people who agree that it's "pretty important" want to send Mario packing despite what he brings to recruiting. I wouldn't fall on my sword if Mario were named OL coach here but I think we could do better and still recruit well without him.

I don't agree with that, Bama's offensive line played great against one of the best teams last weekend. Opened holes all over the place.

Pierre Senatus, Miramar, Fla. coach: “Definitely have to be an X and Os guy. Be technically and fundamentally sound. Bring in a top X and Os, which I think has been a little lack. Making sure they understand that the athletes they bring in can be flexible and not just system guys. And coach the talent they get. They get some talent that doesn’t always fit every system. We have some phenomenal athletes. We have some guys that are undersized and explosive. Putting those athletes in the right system has to be one of the key elements. Flexibility with scheme and development has to be huge. They have to understand how to recruit south Florida. I think this last staff did a good job. The next guy has to keep in the top-end talent. They can not leave south Florida. You can’t keep them all. There are some pieces in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade that the next leader has to target early and make sure throw a net on them. Having linemen 2-gap at Miami is very difficult. We haven’t seen those nose tackles that can anchor down. We just don’t have them in south Florida. Miami would have to import that. If they have the resources and budget to import that and make sure they can get the right ones to do that then you can run your 3-4 and be a little more versatile on defense. Being someone that’s scheme versatile and understanding that whatever ingredients are in the kitchen I can work with at a high level and he has a staff that can do that as well. That’s important. I know Mario Cristobal is a name flying out there. He’s a south Florida guy. He does a great job. He recruits our school. Charlie Strong does such a great job. He gets our kids. He’s coached at Florida. So he understands what it takes. There’s some young innovative guys at Temple and Memphis that are doing a great job. Miami’s always been able to find that young coach that’s just hungrier than everyone else with Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Bringing back Butch would be a great guy that’s been here forever that has a blueprint that can revamp it for 2015 and 2016. Bring back some of those components and scheme flexibility and having top-end assistant coaches that really develop our south Florida kids. Sometimes I think our kids best ball is way in front of them. We don’t get the polished, developed All-American kid in south Florida because the high school system is very different in terms of the strength and conditioning. So when they get to the collegiate level those guys have to understand that and capture that. And capitalize on that. You have to capitalize on that on the college level. The talent is there because you’re seeing that on Sunday. I think this staff had some difficulties coming out of the scandal climbing out of that mountain. The next staff has an advantage of not having to look back at that and move forward. Mario has just been tearing it up recruiting. Just his communication and energy with recruiting. He played at Miami and at Columbus. He’s a south Florida kid. Those connections open lots of doors.”

This!!!!

Who do the high school coaches think Miami will hire as coach?

It's all about control and Butch Davis would have local players coming to UM with minimal influence from their local coaches, and local coaches are worried.

It's also about the fact that some of these local coaches have their hands out and think that Mario would play the game with them, and Mario would be more comfortable and easier to control than one Butch Davis.

With Butch Davis at the helm, these coaches are scared that they would not have it so easy nor the influence to cash in from outside sharks & recruiters by sending their kids to Auburn, Bama, Miss FSU UF and Clemson.

Lol butch plays the game dont get it twisted

Just curious, as I don't remember, and maybe nobody knows but did mario leave when he was here for a few weeks because bama is paying him alot more money? Or did he just not like what he is seeing with Golden and his staff and decided he didn't want to be a part of it.

Advertisement
OL coach needs to be a great teacher. You hide recruiters at RB coach/WR coach/TE coach. You don't hire an OL coach just to recruit when your program is so starved for actual coaching.

Nick Saban disagrees, and the OL is pretty important over there.

I have no idea if he's a good teacher or not. But I know he has substantial value as a recruiter.

Did you miss the part where I said "when your program is so starved for actual coaching"?

Saban saw a weakness at UM (Folden) and tried to capitalize on it by hiring a guy to recruit that area. When you're the HC at Miami, you shouldn't need to hire a an OL coach whose only skill is recruiting in order to recruit your backyard.

UM needs some coaches on its staff, especially at a teaching position like OL Coach. You can hire some young killers at RB/WR/TE coach to go out there and recruit their asses off. We shouldn't need to hire a bum like Mario at such an important teaching position in order to recruit our own backyard.

Where was his recruiting prowess before joining Bama's staff? Recruiting for Bama is probably the single easiest job in College Football.

How many coaches are on Alabama's staff? How many assistants recruit for big-time programs?

Cristobal was named consensus recruiter of the year over all of those guys. Saban pays him big money to recruit. Local coaches are unanimous in their praise for his recruiting ability.

Does that mean he should be Head Coach of Miami? **** no. But anybody trying to question his recruiting value is *****ing just to *****.

Again, what was his recruiting prowess before being head bagman at Alabama?

If he is such a prodigious recruiting talent, why did it take until he landed at the easiest school on earth to recruit for him to be recognized?

Al Golden and Clint Hurrtt were recruiters of the year too.

I won the Slam Dunk Contest at the Miami Project Dunk Contest last year. That 5 foot rim really negated my 2 inch vertical.

As much flack as we give him for recruiting at Bama - which shouldn't be that hard - I do see recruiting value with him and he'd be a great transitional hire for the new staff in that he's used to recruiting this area (hits the ground running). I think he can be very solid in that role. As far as positional coaching, I know bama fans aren't huge fans of him for his OL, but I think OL coaching and OC philosophy go hand in hand and there may be more to it than we think. JMO

This.

Some people are *****ing just to *****. I totally understood the backlash to Mario as HC, but as OL coach? Fine with me. Butch already said he's looking for young, hungry recruiters to fill out his staff. Butch can evaluate and close, but he knows the value of young guys on the daily recruiting grind.

Anybody who doubts Mario's recruiting prowess is being willfully ignorant at this point.

I would take Mario as a PC. HCIW is a different story though. I can't see him leaving Alabama to come back to a job he didn't want unless he gets a promotion (hciw). Now, if Bama is forcing him out..

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
As much flack as we give him for recruiting at Bama - which shouldn't be that hard - I do see recruiting value with him and he'd be a great transitional hire for the new staff in that he's used to recruiting this area (hits the ground running). I think he can be very solid in that role. As far as positional coaching, I know bama fans aren't huge fans of him for his OL, but I think OL coaching and OC philosophy go hand in hand and there may be more to it than we think. JMO

This.

Some people are *****ing just to *****. I totally understood the backlash to Mario as HC, but as OL coach? Fine with me. Butch already said he's looking for young, hungry recruiters to fill out his staff. Butch can evaluate and close, but he knows the value of young guys on the daily recruiting grind.

Anybody who doubts Mario's recruiting prowess is being willfully ignorant at this point.

I would take Mario as a PC. HCIW is a different story though,

Why? What has Mario shown that would allow you to conclude that he is worth anything as a PC?

This.

I would take Mario as a PC. HCIW is a different story though,

Why? What has Mario shown that would allow you to conclude that he is worth anything as a PC?

He's done nothing. Guys are feeling like they have to like Mario because they're too sucked into his alleged recruiting prowess. They're acting like he's some sort of recruiting god.

How did he recruit Miami while he was at Buttgers? Clearly nowhere near as well as he has at Bama. Hmmmm. I wonder why. When he was at Buttgers, he got nothing but S. FL leftovers.

Mario is such a great recruiter that he went 3-9 in his 6th year at FIU and the next year the players he recruited went 1-11.

Cristobal is a less accomplished Tim Brewster.

Pierre Senatus, Miramar, Fla. coach: “Definitely have to be an X and Os guy. Be technically and fundamentally sound. Bring in a top X and Os, which I think has been a little lack. Making sure they understand that the athletes they bring in can be flexible and not just system guys. And coach the talent they get. They get some talent that doesn’t always fit every system. We have some phenomenal athletes. We have some guys that are undersized and explosive. Putting those athletes in the right system has to be one of the key elements. Flexibility with scheme and development has to be huge. They have to understand how to recruit south Florida. I think this last staff did a good job. The next guy has to keep in the top-end talent. They can not leave south Florida. You can’t keep them all. There are some pieces in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade that the next leader has to target early and make sure throw a net on them. Having linemen 2-gap at Miami is very difficult. We haven’t seen those nose tackles that can anchor down. We just don’t have them in south Florida. Miami would have to import that. If they have the resources and budget to import that and make sure they can get the right ones to do that then you can run your 3-4 and be a little more versatile on defense. Being someone that’s scheme versatile and understanding that whatever ingredients are in the kitchen I can work with at a high level and he has a staff that can do that as well. That’s important. I know Mario Cristobal is a name flying out there. He’s a south Florida guy. He does a great job. He recruits our school. Charlie Strong does such a great job. He gets our kids. He’s coached at Florida. So he understands what it takes. There’s some young innovative guys at Temple and Memphis that are doing a great job. Miami’s always been able to find that young coach that’s just hungrier than everyone else with Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Bringing back Butch would be a great guy that’s been here forever that has a blueprint that can revamp it for 2015 and 2016. Bring back some of those components and scheme flexibility and having top-end assistant coaches that really develop our south Florida kids. Sometimes I think our kids best ball is way in front of them. We don’t get the polished, developed All-American kid in south Florida because the high school system is very different in terms of the strength and conditioning. So when they get to the collegiate level those guys have to understand that and capture that. And capitalize on that. You have to capitalize on that on the college level. The talent is there because you’re seeing that on Sunday. I think this staff had some difficulties coming out of the scandal climbing out of that mountain. The next staff has an advantage of not having to look back at that and move forward. Mario has just been tearing it up recruiting. Just his communication and energy with recruiting. He played at Miami and at Columbus. He’s a south Florida kid. Those connections open lots of doors.”
-------------------------------

i thought ^ this guys aid it better than all of the coaches. outside of the mario praise, he gave the best answer IMO

Advertisement
Mario is such a great recruiter that he went 3-9 in his 6th year at FIU and the next year the players he recruited went 1-11.
Cristobal is a less accomplished Tim Brewster.

One BIG BIG advantage of recruiting in S. Fla. is finding the real gems that others, who don't spend time down here during the non-recruiting season, won't find...until the gem has been nurtured by a local recruiter and won't change his commitment.

What gem has Cristobal ever found either at Rutgers or Bama? Oh the Ridley boyz; bought & paid for! I'd like to know a 2-star like Clive Walford that Cristobal found. Or even that 3-star Gionni Paul gem that Cristobal pulled right under the big 3's nose. Of course, he'd found the 5* players that UM can't afford to pay Bama's bag man prices with a perpetual creeping NCAA down our throat. But Mario has shown nothing, and the worse thing about Mario is what would happen once these local coaches realize that UM coaches have no bag men to front and advance Cristobal visits for their top ballers? Worse, what happens when Mario doesn't offer their hidden gem of a player by informing thes coaches their player ain't no gem but a project that he won't give a schollie to?

This Mario Cristobal Local High School coaches bromance luvfest has disaster written all over it. Hiring Mario as HC would take Miami back another 5 years of mediocrity to come out of to be competitive with the Clemson, FSU and the $EC of the college world. Hiring Mario as HC would be the coups de grace for the UM program.

You guys act like only a small group of coaches can recruit south Florida. The only difference is you have to deal with inner city coaches opposed to real quality coaches. I imagine it would be harder to go from Miami and recruit lets say Texas. (See Charlie Strong). Point is any good position coach should be able to recruit in south Florida so lets hire a coach that can identify talent and position coaches that can coach the **** out of them.

Butch Davis had Coker, Chud, Shannon, Curtis Johnson, Pagano, Schiano, Art Kehoe and Don Solidinger.

All of those guys are solid coaches and none appear to have been hired just because they can recruit. It is worth noting Mario was a GA on that staff, so if you think Mario is a good as coach as those guys then sure make him a position coach. Those guys recruited the best team ever so we don't have to have Ice, Beard, Coley who only bring recruitment to the team. We also don't need Dorito and the late Al Golden because they didn't bring recruitment or development to the team.

You guys act like only a small group of coaches can recruit south Florida. The only difference is you have to deal with inner city coaches opposed to real quality coaches. I imagine it would be harder to go from Miami and recruit lets say Texas. (See Charlie Strong). Point is any good position coach should be able to recruit in south Florida so lets hire a coach that can identify talent and position coaches that can coach the **** out of them.

Butch Davis had Coker, Chud, Shannon, Curtis Johnson, Pagano, Schiano, Art Kehoe and Don Solidinger.

All of those guys are solid coaches and none appear to have been hired just because they can recruit. It is worth noting Mario was a GA on that staff, so if you think Mario is a good as coach as those guys then sure make him a position coach. Those guys recruited the best team ever so we don't have to have Ice, Beard, Coley who only bring recruitment to the team. We also don't need Dorito and the late Al Golden because they didn't bring recruitment or development to the team.

Beard has done a good job with the recievers. Guys are actually catching the ball this year, running better routes, and are going up to get the ball.

Advertisement

Beard has done a good job with the recievers. Guys are actually catching the ball this year, running better routes, and are going up to get the ball.

You mean Stacey Coley is playing better. How is he any different than Brannon Carroll in regards to player development?

You mean Stacey Coley is playing better. How is he any different than Brannon Carroll in regards to player development?

Coley was dropping a lot of passes his first 2 years. How many have you seen him drop this year? The recievers are just more sound. As i mentioned recievers never went up and got the ball. Guys are understanding leverage better and how to get open. Three recievers are in the top 12 in recieving yards in the acc and carroll never had that.

Coley was dropping a lot of passes his first 2 years. How many have you seen him drop this year? The recievers are just more sound. As i mentioned recievers never went up and got the ball. Guys are understanding leverage better and how to get open. Three recievers are in the top 12 in recieving yards in the acc and carroll never had that.

I suppose it is all debating but other than Coley I don't see improvements among the other guys. I am not anti-Beard but was rather just pointing out Butch hired guys that could coach first and everything else worked out.

This.

D$, you know you're my boy but please point to Mario's supposed "Recruiting Prowess." Is he doing anything that hasn't already been done at Bama? In addition please point empirical evidence that establishes that Mario is also a good evaluator of talent. Who has he gotten at Bama or elsewhere that wasn't highly rated but turned into a player?

Advertisement
Back