S.fla Coaches on Who Miami Should Hire (It's Long)

Advertisement
Pierre Senatus, Miramar, Fla. coach: “Definitely have to be an X and Os guy. Be technically and fundamentally sound. Bring in a top X and Os, which I think has been a little lack. Making sure they understand that the athletes they bring in can be flexible and not just system guys. And coach the talent they get. They get some talent that doesn’t always fit every system. We have some phenomenal athletes. We have some guys that are undersized and explosive. Putting those athletes in the right system has to be one of the key elements. Flexibility with scheme and development has to be huge. They have to understand how to recruit south Florida. I think this last staff did a good job. The next guy has to keep in the top-end talent. They can not leave south Florida. You can’t keep them all. There are some pieces in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade that the next leader has to target early and make sure throw a net on them. Having linemen 2-gap at Miami is very difficult. We haven’t seen those nose tackles that can anchor down. We just don’t have them in south Florida. Miami would have to import that. If they have the resources and budget to import that and make sure they can get the right ones to do that then you can run your 3-4 and be a little more versatile on defense. Being someone that’s scheme versatile and understanding that whatever ingredients are in the kitchen I can work with at a high level and he has a staff that can do that as well. That’s important. I know Mario Cristobal is a name flying out there. He’s a south Florida guy. He does a great job. He recruits our school. Charlie Strong does such a great job. He gets our kids. He’s coached at Florida. So he understands what it takes. There’s some young innovative guys at Temple and Memphis that are doing a great job. Miami’s always been able to find that young coach that’s just hungrier than everyone else with Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Bringing back Butch would be a great guy that’s been here forever that has a blueprint that can revamp it for 2015 and 2016. Bring back some of those components and scheme flexibility and having top-end assistant coaches that really develop our south Florida kids. Sometimes I think our kids best ball is way in front of them. We don’t get the polished, developed All-American kid in south Florida because the high school system is very different in terms of the strength and conditioning. So when they get to the collegiate level those guys have to understand that and capture that. And capitalize on that. You have to capitalize on that on the college level. The talent is there because you’re seeing that on Sunday. I think this staff had some difficulties coming out of the scandal climbing out of that mountain. The next staff has an advantage of not having to look back at that and move forward. Mario has just been tearing it up recruiting. Just his communication and energy with recruiting. He played at Miami and at Columbus. He’s a south Florida kid. Those connections open lots of doors.”

This!!!!

x10000

Yep!! It's really pretty easy and this is exactly what's needed here.

He needed a job so grabbed on when Golden offered him then bolted when Bama called 4 weeks later. Very loyal guy.

Just curious, as I don't remember, and maybe nobody knows but did mario leave when he was here for a few weeks because bama is paying him alot more money? Or did he just not like what he is seeing with Golden and his staff and decided he didn't want to be a part of it.

Most of the guys on that list have never shown the ability to win without a team that's loaded with talent so of course they would all preach about recruiting.

I didn't read the whole thing word for word but did anybody mention innovation? Development? Getting the most out of the players?

How 'bout you go get the opinion of the guys who's winning football games at West Broward? Or the guy who went 7-3 at Coral Springs and won Coach Of The Year?

You're interviewing guys who rely on talent. What do you think they're gonna say?

Advertisement
Pierre Senatus, Miramar, Fla. coach: “Definitely have to be an X and Os guy. Be technically and fundamentally sound. Bring in a top X and Os, which I think has been a little lack. Making sure they understand that the athletes they bring in can be flexible and not just system guys. And coach the talent they get. They get some talent that doesn’t always fit every system. We have some phenomenal athletes. We have some guys that are undersized and explosive. Putting those athletes in the right system has to be one of the key elements. Flexibility with scheme and development has to be huge. They have to understand how to recruit south Florida. I think this last staff did a good job. The next guy has to keep in the top-end talent. They can not leave south Florida. You can’t keep them all. There are some pieces in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade that the next leader has to target early and make sure throw a net on them. Having linemen 2-gap at Miami is very difficult. We haven’t seen those nose tackles that can anchor down. We just don’t have them in south Florida. Miami would have to import that. If they have the resources and budget to import that and make sure they can get the right ones to do that then you can run your 3-4 and be a little more versatile on defense. Being someone that’s scheme versatile and understanding that whatever ingredients are in the kitchen I can work with at a high level and he has a staff that can do that as well. That’s important. I know Mario Cristobal is a name flying out there. He’s a south Florida guy. He does a great job. He recruits our school. Charlie Strong does such a great job. He gets our kids. He’s coached at Florida. So he understands what it takes. There’s some young innovative guys at Temple and Memphis that are doing a great job. Miami’s always been able to find that young coach that’s just hungrier than everyone else with Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Bringing back Butch would be a great guy that’s been here forever that has a blueprint that can revamp it for 2015 and 2016. Bring back some of those components and scheme flexibility and having top-end assistant coaches that really develop our south Florida kids. Sometimes I think our kids best ball is way in front of them. We don’t get the polished, developed All-American kid in south Florida because the high school system is very different in terms of the strength and conditioning. So when they get to the collegiate level those guys have to understand that and capture that. And capitalize on that. You have to capitalize on that on the college level. The talent is there because you’re seeing that on Sunday. I think this staff had some difficulties coming out of the scandal climbing out of that mountain. The next staff has an advantage of not having to look back at that and move forward. Mario has just been tearing it up recruiting. Just his communication and energy with recruiting. He played at Miami and at Columbus. He’s a south Florida kid. Those connections open lots of doors.”

This!!!!

And in his same excerpt he praises Mario and Charlie Strong. Lost all credibility after that.

This!!!!

And in his same excerpt he praises Mario and Charlie Strong. Lost all credibility after that.

Yeah because anyone who recognizes that Charlie Strong is the one of the best SFL recruiters is just dumb.

Sorry guys but if you don't realize that Strong is one bad *** SFL recruiter who relates to its kids, parents and coaches then your completely our of touch with reality. Its not an opinion its a fact. Not sure how many people in the know say this over and over. You cant deny it you can only look like flaming idiots for stating anything different. You may not like him as a coach but not even Butch would have the impact on recruiting that Strong would. If you put Strong and Cristobal on the same staff in charge of Miami it would give every top coach in the country nightmares but to the fans on this board it would be a bad idea, go figure. Not sure why those guys dont come to this site before they make any decision.

I think if you cant get Chip Kelly then the perfect staff would be to have them all on the same staff Strong, Butch and Mario. That would lock down SFL, sure up our defense and get enough offensive firepower that even Mario couldn't F it up.

Advertisement

This!!!!

Yeah because anyone who recognizes that Charlie Strong is the one of the best SFL recruiters is just dumb.

Sorry guys but if you don't realize that Strong is one bad *** SFL recruiter who relates to its kids, parents and coaches then your completely our of touch with reality. Its not an opinion its a fact. Not sure how many people in the know say this over and over. You cant deny it you can only look like flaming idiots for stating anything different. You may not like him as a coach but not even Butch would have the impact on recruiting that Strong would. If you put Strong and Cristobal on the same staff in charge of Miami it would give every top coach in the country nightmares but to the fans on this board it would be a bad idea, go figure. Not sure why those guys dont come to this site before they make any decision.

I think if you cant get Chip Kelly then the perfect staff would be to have them all on the same staff Strong, Butch and Mario. That would lock down SFL, sure up our defense and get enough offensive firepower that even Mario couldn't F it up.

Strong isn't going to leave DC to become a DC here, so not sure your point.

They don't lol, they are just blessed with the best athletes. ca, ga, Texas coaches walk circles around them

LMFAO! South Florida coaching has actually improved buddy, coaches like Ice,Telly, & Rolle took the game to another level. You sound like one of those guys that feel they should run the Wing-T with superior athletes huh?...FOHWTS!

Last edited:
They don't lol, they are just blessed with the best athletes. ca, ga, Texas coaches walk circles around them

LMFAO! South Florida coaching has actually improved buddy, coaches like Ice,Telly, & Rolle took the game to another level. You sound like one of those guys that feel they should run the Wing-T with superior athletes huh?...FOHWTS!

Naw south Florida football is undisciplined compared to those states but because of the players talent they can coast. I should say they walk circles around most of them because as you have named they have a few good coaches

You all are forget we had the worst coach in college football so there will be improvement from any coach that we may hire compared to golden

Advertisement
Most of the guys on that list have never shown the ability to win without a team that's loaded with talent so of course they would all preach about recruiting.

I didn't read the whole thing word for word but did anybody mention innovation? Development? Getting the most out of the players?

How 'bout you go get the opinion of the guys who's winning football games at West Broward? Or the guy who went 7-3 at Coral Springs and won Coach Of The Year?

You're interviewing guys who rely on talent. What do you think they're gonna say?

Well in recent years no team that hasn't had at least 50% of the roster with blue chip recruits(4 & 5 stars) has won a championship.

Advertisement

This!!!!

I don't think anyone is saying that Strong is not a good recruiter. The whole point is that game-planning is FAR more important for UM right now. The quality game planning will lead to wins, which is the best recruiting tool a team has.

We've tried the allegedly great-recruiter path twice with Shannon and Golden. It was disastrous, because the Xs and Os and other aspects of running a quality program were ignored or mismanaged.

I realize that Shannon stopped recruiting at the end and burned a lot of bridges with local schools. But when he was hired, all these same S. Fla. coaches said he was the best man for the job bc he grew up in Miami, can relate to the players, and would keep all the studs at home. That prediction -- universally proclaimed by the local high school coaches -- could not have been more wrong.

Why on earth would we listen to them now that we are at ground zero again?!

I'm starting to fall for Mario if all those guys are saying he's the guy is because of something. Hopefully we get the best guy

I will say, he did earn his $$$ the other night against L$U much more than he has since he has been there. Had his boys making Henry an instant Heisman candidate.

Still, short of the guy having all-world coordinators that we can't afford...hard to grapple with this concept.

UM

This!!!!

I don't think anyone is saying that Strong is not a good recruiter. The whole point is that game-planning is FAR more important for UM right now. The quality game planning will lead to wins, which is the best recruiting tool a team has.

We've tried the allegedly great-recruiter path twice with Shannon and Golden. It was disastrous, because the Xs and Os and other aspects of running a quality program were ignored or mismanaged.

I realize that Shannon stopped recruiting at the end and burned a lot of bridges with local schools. But when he was hired, all these same S. Fla. coaches said he was the best man for the job bc he grew up in Miami, can relate to the players, and would keep all the studs at home. That prediction -- universally proclaimed by the local high school coaches -- could not have been more wrong.

Why on earth would we listen to them now that we are at ground zero again?!

Very bad examples in my opinion. Very, very bad. Its like never buying a car again because someone who sold you a Yugo said it was awesome.

Shannon was not a good recruiter. You cant ignore kids right down the road because they were your high school's rival. And you cant ignore Miami kids because they didn't meet you height criteria. Shannon had plenty of kids that are in the league now that begged for Miami offers.

Golden is a hard working recruiter who didn't identify with SFL kids or families. He was a yankee used car salesman who parents felt he was selling a lemon because of the NCAA mess.

Butch Davis has never been known for game day planning. Our last title was won by Elmer Fudd.

Our greatest team ever was built off our difference making resource (not coaching).

What makes us competitively superior than any other school is our depth of local talent. No other school can match it and zero schools are winning titles that are not absolutely killing it in recruiting. None!

I am not saying listen to high school coaches but if you don't focus on recruiting first your not winning any titles and its a horrible approach knowing where your at and where college football is currently at.

Taking any other approach is risky and there is absolutely no proof it would work in today's college football. This is not the NFL. There is no parity in college football when you consider NC contenders.

You have a chance to not only beef up your ability to recruit but to also hurt teams that come in here and cherry pick at the same time.

This fantasy that tells anyone that is not the way to do it a fallacy. If your in Idaho then I get taking some other approach because you don't really have the options that we have here.

If you don't work hard at locking it down then your letting other schools gain market share off of your resources.

Honestly didn't read it, but I'll tell you anyone who says Doc Holliday would be a good hire is just stupid.

When will people realize that no matter what at this school you will have elite talent, and at the ABSOLUTE WORST will have the 3rd most talented team in the ACC. They need to ******* hire a coach who can, you know....COACH!

And who will Cristobal bring in as his assistants? Certainly not ones as good as Butch, Hue Jackson, Pagano, Chud, etc. And thats just a fact.

If Cristobal wants to be on this coaching staff, it better be as an position coach/assistant head coach, Not offensive coordinator Or Head Coach.

The only people I want less than Cristobal are probably Fuente and Schiano.

Advertisement
Back