S.fla Coaches on Who Miami Should Hire (It's Long)

252cane

All-ACC
Lol Enjoy.

High School coaches weigh in on Miami job
Ryan Bartow - 3 hours ago 7
Newsletter

247Sports.com went through 30+ schools in south Florida recently. We polled the top high school coaches in the nation’s No. 1 hotbed for talent to see what direction they believe the Miami Hurricanes program should go in for it’s next head coach and who would be a good fit.

Mario Cristobal is the reigning National Recruiter of the Year on 247Sports.com. In a recent poll conducted onsite with the top high school coaches in south Florida, Cristobal was the overwhelming favorite among the high school coaching community to be the next head coach for the Miami Hurricanes. They feel he gives the program the best chance to keep the talent at home in the nation's No. 1 hotbed for college football recruits. (Photo: 247Sports)
Cory Johnson, Miami/Killian coach: “Excitement. The first move of all is creativity. For the type of athletes they have: creativity. Between the way you play defense. Some aggressive blitz schemes and play man-to-man (coverage) because they have some kids that can play man-to-man. Mix it in with some zone pressures. Someone who mixes it up a lot on defense. On offense, someone who has a lot of creativity. Not someone who is bland or basic. Playing tough football but also getting the ball to all the skill (players) they have. (They’ve not) had an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman that’s of yesterday’s status. Meaning that dominant Warren Sapp, Vince Wilfolk, Kenard Lang, Jerome Brown type guy up front. On the offensive line just that dominant guy up front. (Miami) needs that especially on the offensive line. They haven’t been getting those types of guys on the offensive line. To where they are just dominant. I look at a guy like Kevin Sumlin. I look at a guy like (Mario) Cristobal. I look at a guy like Charlie Strong. (Cristobal) because everybody has skill kids. A wide receiver, a DB. He will attack the interior part of what (Miami’s) program is meaning the big boys. He would be a guy that’s hands on in choosing the type of big guys that they will get. The big guys that will bring attitude. He will bring attitude to the big guys. The programs that are thriving right now are because of the attitude of the big guys. That’s why I say Cristobal. He’s a big guy type of coach. He will get the bigs which is a tough, tough thing. The skills that just love Miami will always be able to compete with anyone around the country. It will be always go back to the interior which you have to have a knack for. Which you have to be diversified for. You have to go all over to get those bigs.”

David Cooney, Miami/Southridge assistant coach: “Needs to be a charismatic guy. Needs to be an alumnus first of all. Miami has tried all the other guys. If he’s not a homegrown guy, at least an alumnus that knows what the University of Miami embodies. A player’s coach. Mario Cristobal and JaJuan Seider recruited the schools I’ve been at (Southridge and Coral Gables) as good as anyone. Those guys are amazing. Trying to speaking about any other guys is hard. Those two guys alone are amazing. I think Mario Cristobal should be at the top of the list. He fits the type of criteria that I believe will help the University of Miami get back on track. Outside of him, Tommy Tubberville would be another candidate to look at. Also Doc Holliday is a homegrown guy that’s got some ties down here. All in all, I think Cristobal should be the guy. He knows the landscape. He knows the Miami area. He’s a face down here. Everybody knows who he is. Also he’s a face nationally. He was recruiter of the year (by 247Sports.com) last year. So he will be able to pull in the guys Miami needs. It’s been too long that Miami hasn’t had that dominant defensive line. Or those offensive line that were real (solid). He can recruit those guys. (Miami) will never be strapped for skill positions.

Earl Sims, Miami/Gulliver Prep coach: “The next guy should definitely have head coaching experience. He also should have ties in the community, have relationships already built with the coaches down here. Somebody who has already recruited this area and had success with it. I think Mario Cristobal for sure. I’ve been hearing about Butch Davis but I think Cristobal is the one. You look at the success he had turning the FIU program around and truth be told he probably should still be there. He’s already done what Miami is looking to do. So it’s proven. The other criteria I’m talking about he already fits that as well.

Earl Little, Miami/Jackson coach: “I think first and foremost Miami has to get a Hurricane guy. Either Mario Cristobal, Rob Chudzinski or bring Butch Davis back. Somebody that knows the culture down here and knows what Miami football is all about. That’s what I think. Just the swagger. The shirts that Miami is making: “The U invented Swag.” Nobody plays college football like Miami did in the 80s. When I watch the other teams play. Let these kids have fun and go out and play. Miami has to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I like James Coley a lot but I’m not sure how much total control he had over the total offense. Defensively it hasn’t been a University of Miami 4-3 defense. That’s what Miami needs to get back to. I know the game has changed with more spread offense. You have to have a Miami guy that knows these kids from Palm Beach on down. You have to have that 4-3 defense and you just have to be aggressive. Spread it out like you do now a days. When I look at Baylor and Toledo those kids aren’t good like Miami kids. And they are putting up 60 points doing it. Before they hired (Al) Golden I was hoping they would hire Mike Leach at the time because of that up-tempo and that spread offense. He was right here in Key West at the time. Mario Cristobal intrigues me because he’s a Hurricane. He’s from Columbus High School in Miami. He’s a Cuban-American. He was nasty. Him and his twin brother were nasty offensive linemen. They were just going to get after your butt. Mario did a great job at FIU. He turned around a program that was a doormat and went to a bowl game. How can you turn up an opportunity to coach at Alabama? So he’s been learning under Nick Saban the past few years. The stuff he already knew playing under coach (Jimmy) Johnson and coach (Dennis) Erickson. Have that Miami swagger. That whole mentality as an offensive lineman. And just a guy that knows Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. That’s why he’s my first choice. Then you have a guy like (Rob) Chudzinski who is a great offensive mind. He’s a Miami guy. Miami has guys that can do it but Mario can get that recruiting and get that fire back. Mario is the guy.”

Daryle Heidelburg, Miami/Norland coach: “He needs to be a good recruiter. Miami doesn’t have the facilities and some of the attractions that some of the other major universities have but they do have the pride and tradition. The new person needs to be able to hone in on that and be part of the greatness of Miami of what they built in the past and try to sustain in the future. I think Mario Cristobal may deserve a shot. I’m sure him being at Alabama shows him what winning is all about and what it takes to win. I think he take his experiences from there. I’ve heard Dana Holgorsen’s name from West Virginia because of his offense would be attractive to skill guys. Getting more area kids and coaches will bring more pride in the program that the kids can relate to. Get the pride back. So many kids from out of town don’t know what it means to play in south Florida.”

Anthony White, Hialeah, Fla./American coach: “I think ties to the community and overall just a great recruiter. Somebody that can recruit. That’s going to be something that’s important. Somebody that brings that fire and that U swag back. People are throwing the U up now but a lot of people don’t understand what that means. They need to recruit their backyard. They also have to bring that fire and that edge and dog back. You have to play with that edge. I would say Butch Davis is one because he knows what the U means. I know a lot of people talk about Greg Schiano. He would be good defensively. I would like Chip Kelly if they could get him to leave the (Philadelphia) Eagles for Miami someway. That would a great fit because the offensive is high flying with all the speed down here. Another name would be Charlie Strong if they can lure him from Texas. That’s the key.”

Roland Smith, Miami/Central coach: “First of all he should have some type of relationship with the high school coaches here in south Florida. It would always be good if you can get a guy that’s familiar with this area and can recruit this area. That’s been part of the program or a guy that recruits this area and knows the high school coaches. I want to thank Al Golden for everything he did for my alma mater while he was here for those five years. But in the profession we are in right now it’s all about wins. If you don’t win the big games. The administration went in a different direction so we have support them. I just want to thank him for the things he did for the University of Miami while he was here. Going forward they just need to find the right guy. Possibly a Miami guy. We have some guys that are out there on the collegiate and professional level that are capable. Guys that know what it takes to get the program turned in the right direction because these kids in south Florida are going other places but they would love to stay here. If they hire the right guy you will see a lot of kids turning back and going to Miami like they used to do back in the day when I was in school. Kids these days are very impressionable so it’s going to be a very important hire. It’s always good to go out to the alumni base and get their feelings to see what they’re thinking and see what they should do. At the end of the day we know Blake James and the administration there at the University of Miami is going to make the final decision. It’s good to hear from the former players and coaches that played and coached there to get their ideas of what they think they should do. The guy needs to be a guy that has Miami ties. A guy that knows south Florida. I know some guys that I think would do a great job at the University of Miami.”

Aubrey Hill, Miami Gardens, Fla./Carol City coach: “One this recruiting base down here you have a lot of great players in Palm Beach County, Broward County and obviously Dade County. So someone who is familiar with the area. I would think they would they want to look at someone who has head coaching experience. I know being at that school at one point I know they’ll do a great job with the search committee and they’ll find a great head coach for the University of Miami. There’s a lot of great head coaches out there. They’ll create their own search committee team and they’ll find an adequate coach for the University of Miami. Mario (Cristobal), Greg (Schiano) and Rob (Chudzinski) have ties here. All guys that have ties here and really can bring back the fan base. More importantly those are guys that can bring the fans back. They have the athletes down here. There's maybe a time when you have to go elsewhere to get a lineman but the skill athletes are down here.”

Butch Davis coached at Miami from 1995-2000.
Rocco Casullo, Hialeah, Fla./Mater Academy: “Number one is recruiting. Obviously each school has one, two, three, four, even up to 10 five-star kids. It’s a shame when they’re leaving to Georgia, Alabama or anywhere out of state. First and foremost they need a recruiter to keep those guys here. Everybody knows how Miami got to where they (once were). That was with an aggressive defensive scheme with players flying around playing fast. Today it’s all about a tempo offense. You have to have a quarterback that’s able to read and those skill guys that when they get the ball in their hands they can do what they do. When Miami gets those guys I know they’re capable of doing it’s going to be scary for college football. Mario Cristobal for sure number one. I just think that’s a good fit. Other than that I don’t know. I don’t know what they’re looking for. When it comes to the University of Miami you want a guy that played there that understands the tradition and knows south Florida football. Mario would be my choice and I really don’t have a number two.”

Ivan Rosales, Miami/Senior coach: “An established coach. Someone that has had the head coaching experience before. Someone that has ties to the community. An alumni or someone that knows the community. Somebody that has the intangible that’s more of an aggressive, in your face coach. To get the troops inspired. That’s what Miami needs. Mario Cristobal is one. (Greg) Schiano is another one. To be honest with you but I’m a big Butch Davis fan. I think he actually turned North Carolina’s program around. Miami ended up winning a National Championship with his recruits. Mario Cristobal did a good job at FIU with the talent he had here. Mario knows all of the high school coaches.”

Dennis Marroquin, Hialeah, Fla./Champagnat Catholic coach: “Recruiting is always a key in college football and knowing the area. Knowing the community and the coaches in South Florida. Let nothing come out of south Florida. Miami back in the day is more of a pro-set but times have changed. You see teams playing more of a spread set and more tempo offenses. I think you bring that to the table at the University of Miami and a lot of our kids that go away to play in that type of offense will actually stay to play in that type of exciting offense. I think Mario Cristobal would definitely be a great candidate. He’s a good dude. He did great things at FIU. He beat a couple of good teams and made a couple of bowl games. Now at Alabama, he stole a couple of recruits from south Florida. He was the best recruiter in the country last year. He’s an alumni and a great coach. He knows the community and high school coaches love him.”

Dameon Jones, Hallandale: “Somebody that’s familiar with the area. Somebody that can relate. Just somebody with the intensity and drive that Miami used to have. To bring it back. Because I think that’s something that was missing. Miami was built in years past not on five-stars. They were built on the best talent in south Florida. I think Miami kind of got away from that. They still got some from south Florida but they were going on five-stars instead of the best kids in south Florida. That was my kind of knock against them. You see guys going all over the country outplaying everyone because they played against the competition growing up in south Florida. I think Mario Cristobal would be a great fit. That’s not a job everybody can fit. Al (Golden) did a great job but that wasn’t a fit. You have to be a special type of dude to deal with south Florida. The stuff you deal with south Florida you’re not going to deal with in other parts of the country. But there’s a huge reward to it. That’s why I think Cristobal would be ideal because he knows exactly what he’s jumping into. Everybody’s screaming Butch Davis but I think he’s been out of the loop for a while. Things have changed since he was last here. I just think Cristobal would be ideal. Just because of the recruiting, being from the area, played at the U. If you get FIU rolling with south Florida talent imagine what you could do at Miami.”

Pierre Senatus, Miramar, Fla. coach: “Definitely have to be an X and Os guy. Be technically and fundamentally sound. Bring in a top X and Os, which I think has been a little lack. Making sure they understand that the athletes they bring in can be flexible and not just system guys. And coach the talent they get. They get some talent that doesn’t always fit every system. We have some phenomenal athletes. We have some guys that are undersized and explosive. Putting those athletes in the right system has to be one of the key elements. Flexibility with scheme and development has to be huge. They have to understand how to recruit south Florida. I think this last staff did a good job. The next guy has to keep in the top-end talent. They can not leave south Florida. You can’t keep them all. There are some pieces in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade that the next leader has to target early and make sure throw a net on them. Having linemen 2-gap at Miami is very difficult. We haven’t seen those nose tackles that can anchor down. We just don’t have them in south Florida. Miami would have to import that. If they have the resources and budget to import that and make sure they can get the right ones to do that then you can run your 3-4 and be a little more versatile on defense. Being someone that’s scheme versatile and understanding that whatever ingredients are in the kitchen I can work with at a high level and he has a staff that can do that as well. That’s important. I know Mario Cristobal is a name flying out there. He’s a south Florida guy. He does a great job. He recruits our school. Charlie Strong does such a great job. He gets our kids. He’s coached at Florida. So he understands what it takes. There’s some young innovative guys at Temple and Memphis that are doing a great job. Miami’s always been able to find that young coach that’s just hungrier than everyone else with Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson and Butch Davis. Bringing back Butch would be a great guy that’s been here forever that has a blueprint that can revamp it for 2015 and 2016. Bring back some of those components and scheme flexibility and having top-end assistant coaches that really develop our south Florida kids. Sometimes I think our kids best ball is way in front of them. We don’t get the polished, developed All-American kid in south Florida because the high school system is very different in terms of the strength and conditioning. So when they get to the collegiate level those guys have to understand that and capture that. And capitalize on that. You have to capitalize on that on the college level. The talent is there because you’re seeing that on Sunday. I think this staff had some difficulties coming out of the scandal climbing out of that mountain. The next staff has an advantage of not having to look back at that and move forward. Mario has just been tearing it up recruiting. Just his communication and energy with recruiting. He played at Miami and at Columbus. He’s a south Florida kid. Those connections open lots of doors.”

Jason Milgrom, Hollywood, Fla./Chaminade/Madonna: “They got to find a guy that’s very, very familiar with the culture down here in south Florida. Number one knows the area and understands what the dynamics are of the kids in south Florida. Also understands where are the places to go down here to recruit to find the type of kids that fit into the Miami scheme of what they are trying to do. I think that’s been lost over the years. They don’t need someone to come in and reinvent the wheel. Someone needs to come in and lock down Dade. Lock down Broward. Lock down Palm Beach. And work their way up and cut the state off at I-4 and pluck kids out of the Panhandle when they can. I would say in year’s past they went up north to get linemen and to California to get quarterbacks but now the high school coaches do a good enough job developing these kids and developing linemen and the quarterback play has gotten really good over the last few years. A lot of kids are succeeding at the collegiate level. I think they can stay down here and lock down Broward, Palm Beach and Dade and be relatively successful. Going forward, people are going to throw Greg Schiano and Butch Davis to everybody else out there. They have to find somebody who is young, who can relate to the kids down here and has a scope of what’s going on down here in Dade and Broward and familiar with Miami’s legacy. I think Mario Cristobal is a hometown guy and would definitely be a frontrunner for the job. I think he has a lot of respect among the high school coaches and he’s obviously a Miami guy. He’s done a great job down here recruiting. He would probably be a great fit down here. Absolutely.”

Daniel Luque, Fort Lauderdale, Fla./University School: “I would say a guy who is a product of the University of Miami culture. Who knows the history and has relationships with the alumni. That’s big and big supporters of the university. Most importantly someone that knows how to recruit University of Miami football players. One guy that pops up is definitely Mario Cristobal who was at FIU and is now the offensive line coach at Alabama who has done a tremendous job there and is a Miami alum. He’s familiar with the area. I would definitely start off with someone of that nature.”

Mario Perez, Plantation, Fla./American Heritage assistant coach: “The number one thing is an understanding of the community, the area, the talent. It’s a unique situation with the wealth of talent we have in this area. The thing is you have to have lived it. I think the guy that fits that is Mario Cristobal. There’s no one better out there that understands it. And he actually lived it. I think he’s the guy for the job. He obviously has an impressive coaching pedigree. He was successful at FIU when FIU was nothing. His ability to recruit is second to none. He knows this area very well. He knows the coaches. He has relationships with the kids. He has relationships with their parents. He knows their families. He is Miami. Actually in the hey day of Miami they would say they have two or three coverages and one or two fronts and just go out and play football. It’s the same thing. Football has evolved in college from the 21 or 22 personnel to more of a spread situation. The talent and the speed in south Florida seems like it would fit that type of offense pretty well.”

Greg Schiano was the defensive coordinator at Miami from 1999-2000
Mike Rumph, Plantation, Fla./American Heritage: “Definitely recruiting. Everybody knows that’s number one. A coach that motivates a team and can relate to this new generation of kids. That comes out there and make sure they can understand social media. Make sure they can understand everything is under constant watch. Understand the mentality that it takes to win a championship. Probably a coach that’s going to be a good situational coach for Miami because it’s a unique college. It’s not the best financial situation you’re getting into. You don’t have a stadium on campus so there’s a lot of political things that aren’t going to be right that you’re going to fall into. Someone that understands the politics as far as that. Someone that does that, understands the situation, controls this generation and someone that can recruit. Those three things are great. It’s definitely great to have a 4-3 type of defense. The spread offense is great because we have so much talent here and you need to get all of that talent on the field at one time instead of just having a pro-style offense where you’re 21 personnel all the time. And it’s a must to get that if you want to compete. Even down to the special teams certain things have to change. Miami has the fastest guys in the country so why not get them back there and teach them how to block a kick. We literally took the time when I was there and were taught those things. I literally think everyone on our defense knew how to block a kick. Without a doubt Mario Cristobal. He’s a Cuban. Our fan base is Cuban and I love that because everybody is supporting us. Miami is getting more fans because of this. Someone that can grab the community would be great for that. His stature. He’s a big man. He dresses well. He’s a good looking guy. When he speaks you have a knack for believing in him. Number one because he’s done it. You saw his progress at FIU and what he did (as an assistant) at Miami. He has a knack for that. The kids really react a certain way. I can’t explain it. I’ve had everyone in the country come recruit all of my kids at my school. The two most impressive guys that have come by have been Mario Cristobal and Urban Meyer. I think without a doubt a lot of high school coaches will send their kids to him without a doubt. He has that presence. If he’s the head man his presence is going to be so dominant strong his assistants are going to adapt that presence. Because typically Mario Cristobal isn’t going to come but his assistants will present themselves just as well as he is and they are going to be good representation of coach Cristobal. So whatever you get out of your head coach you’re going to get out of your assistants. I think that’s what’s going to make his overall recruiting so nice is because his staff is going to do a good job as well. He’ll set the tempo as a leader and his assistant coaches will carry that on.”

Devin Bush Sr., Pembroke Pines, Fla./Flanagan: “Someone that knows and respects the Miami tradition. I mean you have to get that back. For what Miami is. You can’t go without that anymore. It’s been too long. Someone with deep ties that can go back in and get the community back behind the team and believe in and get these kids back out for the team in Miami. It’s the truth. Look at TCU. They are getting two-stars and three-stars. If you bring that mentality you can get four and five-stars easy. Who wouldn’t want to come to Miami? Miami sells itself. It’s not a long-term turnaround or a fix. That thing can turn around right now. That roster is loaded. Mario Cristobal and then Mario Cristobal should go get Doug Meacham (the Offensive Coordinator) at TCU. **** right. Because Mario is old Miami. He went to Miami. He knows Miami. He now has Alabama on his resume. He’s been under Nick Saban. He knows how to win in both programs. He’s from Miami and learning from one of the best coaches around right now in the SEC. Having that tutelage and having the experience where he made FIU visable. What more do you need? This is a guy that’s from Miami so he’s going to have a biased to it and he’s one **** of a recruiter. He’s homegrown. He’s one of them. There’s no if, ands or butts. He is Miami.”

Stanford Samuels Sr., Pembroke Pines, Fla./Flanagan assistant coach: “Definitely have to find someone that can deal and manage with the personalities that come with the area. Both former players as well as current players as well as future players because the bulk of the recruits are going to come from the south Florida area where it’s a different mentality and a different upbringing. It’s a different culture. You have to manage it. You don’t allow the inmates to get rowdy. Also know how to corral them and bring them in when it’s time to handle business. To be able to still handle business. That’s one thing that you saw that was a problem with Al Golden with the former players was understanding how to bring them in but yet have them understand he has a job to do, too. You have to understand how to deal with the personalities. Obviously Paul Finebaum is oblivious to the recruiting world and what’s going on. When you look at college football the landscape there’s parity and a lot of that parity has to do with the fact that there are Florida kids everywhere. You have the MAC schools beating power five schools because they are loaded with that Florida talent. He must be living in a closet when it comes to recruiting because this is where it’s at. This is paradise. For college football period this is paradise. You have to understand that landscape to truly understand that. You don’t have to do too much to restore Miami back to that forefront. You must keep the guys in your backyard and then manage them and be able to develop them and manage their mind frames. In order to develop them you have to be able to get them to listen to you. You have to have coaches that can relate to the culture down here. Once you can do that you have elite five-star caliber athletes who can direct you. It doesn’t take long. You definitely have Mario Cristobal. That’s the obvious one. He’s seen it, both as a player and as a coach. He’s been up under one of the best coaches in our era at Alabama and in one of the tougher conferences in college football. He’s gone though that experience to be a head coach at FIU and bring it from the dirt. Once you do something for a second time you know it and can fix a lot of your mistakes as well as being able to know the mistakes you made. And to be under a Nick Saban and see how perfection has run. You would be a fool to not have him be one of the top candidates. I love the Doug Meachem name being thrown out there. Just knowing him a little bit personally and his passion for the game and what he does as an offensive coordinator. The Miami talent would greatly benefit from that type of offensive system. It would be deadly. We need to get this rivalry back to where it needs to be. We need to get this Miami-Florida State rivalry back to where it needs to be so we can dominate college football again.”

Roger Harriott, Fort Lauderdale, Fla./St. Thomas Aquinas coach: “I’m confident that the University of Miami administration will make a hire conducive to their objectives, goals and school mission. It’s imperative that their next head coach understands the south Florida culture, in order to navigate through a very competitive recruiting area. Coach (George) Smith and I agree that the Hurricanes possess the potential to acquire national prominence with the right leadership and committed support base. We wish the University of Miami all the best on their search for the next head Hurricane.”

Lorenzo Davis, Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Dillard coach: “I think he has to be a player’s coach and understand the growth of south Florida players. The growth of the young men. In south Florida usually the players grow a little bit slower than up North. You have to be patient and understand the growth of south Florida players. I played for Jim Tressel and I think he would be a great fit because he’s a player’s coach and he understands the discipline part of it and building a team and organization. That’s one guy that I can think of. I hear about Stoops from Kentucky and Butch Davis. He had his opportunity before but I think we need to move forward and don’t move backwards.

Mike Morrill, Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons: “I think Miami has to get a proven winner. It doesn’t matter at whatever level. (Someone) that brings a winning attitude back there. And brings those expectations back there. I firmly believe the talent pool is there. I firmly believe we have the talent in south Florida they can rebuild and reload very, very rapidly. The kids forgotten how to win. I think that would be the goal. Easier said than done. Tough to get the right guy. If money is an issue or current position is an issue. Certainly getting more out of our athletes would be a key. Part of that is also the winning touch. I think Mario Cristobal would be a good fit there. Mario has been part of different programs. First of all he’s been part of the Miami program. He’s recruited this area for Alabama, for Rutgers when they turned around the Rutgers program and Mario was instrumental bringing out a lot of south Florida talent to New Jersey when nobody gave Rutgers a chance to win. He’s been part of rebuilding programs and naturally he’s been part of the most dominant programs meaning Alabama for the last several years. When you add in his knowledge of south Florida, of Miami and the University of Miami, the culture of Miami he combines a lot of attributes you’re looking for.”

Kareem Reid, Coconut Creek, Fla. coach: “Obviously recruiting ties to south Florida. That’s the lifeline to bring kids in. Secondly you have to have someone that’s going to be creative in how they are going to sell the program because the deficits in budget that they have there and adequate facilities they have in comparison to other schools. Somebody is going to have to be real creative in how they market the program. Lastly someone that comes in and brings back that U swagger. Whatever that maybe they need to regenerate that and get kids excited to make Miami **** again. Obviously everyone is going to hurry up, spread offenses. I think utilizing athletes that we have in south Florida in that type of offense would make it attractive to kids. I’m a 4-3 (defense) guy myself. In south Florida you’re not going to get those big hunkering guys to play any 30 fronts. You’re going to get one gap guys that are going to generate and shoot gaps and let those linebackers make plays sideline to sideline. That’s what Miami has always been. And you have press man corners. Someone that has that mentality and understands that. Then I think they will be fine. Mario Cristobal would definitely be a good fit there. He fits the criteria. He has south Florida connections. He was part of the U when they were successful. He played there. He’s coached there. He understands south Florida kids. He did a great job of building FIU so he has head coaching experience. So I just think it makes sense.”

Jevon Glenn, Deerfield Beach, Fla. coach: “Definitely needs to be a strong recruiter with some south Florida ties. Back in the old days when the U was the U you have to win the state of Miami. You have a lot of schools coming in and plucking our kids out. You have to get the state of Miami back recruiting wise. Then it’s just that dog. When we went through the phase where Miami got into trouble we got too nice guy. You can still be a dog and still be respectful and stay out of trouble. They do it at other places. Miami went so nice guy they sacrificed a little talent. There are some kids that have dog that aren’t buttholes when they are away from the football field. You have to have good balance. Right off the bat Mario Cristobal. I love the guy. He’s a Miami guy. He’s been in south Florida at FIU and was on the brinks of making them. They won two bowl games. He can recruit with the best of them. He’s as big a part of success for Alabama as Nick Saban is. He goes out and gets them. He knows what a dog looks like. He can get those guys. Also I love Charlie Strong. I know he’s happy in Texas. I just think if he could come here. He knows dogs. He can get here in his base. I want him to do the best his best at Texas. If I had my choice it would be Mario. If I couldn’t get Mario I would want Charlie Strong.”

Rick Casko, Belle Glades, Fla./Glades Central: “Miami is a program that has tremendous tradition. I really think they need to bring in someone that has been at the program before. Greg Schiano, Butch Davis and Mario Cristobal. All three have been at Miami and done tremendous jobs where they’ve been. I think they would be tremendous fits for the Hurricanes. Their strengths vary. Greg did a tremendous job at Rutgers. He went to the NFL. It’s not for everybody. He’s an intense coach that went to Rutgers, which had to be revived and he did it by taking Florida kids. Butch is as good of a recruiter as there’s ever been. I have a relationship with him. Cristobal did a great job at FIU. He’s at Alabama now and under great tutelage with Nick Saban. They all have different areas they can bring. They need to bring back what Miami needs.”

Tom Abel, West Palm Beach, Fla./Wellington: “My opinion is they need stability. You need to give (the next coach) time to bring the program back. I thought there’s been good coaches at Miami but they didn’t give them time to implement what they have to do. That’s a big one. Getting a quality staff around them that’s going to listen to what they want and probably some former guys that have played there. A bunch of homeboys that know the Miami history and culture and things like that and want to take it back to national prominence like it’s always been.”

Chris Merritt, Miami/Columbus coach: “The University of Miami has Top 10 expectations but they don’t have Top 10 facilities or Top 10 payroll. The University of Miami has to have a commitment to whoever they hire that they have to give him the resources to compete with the schools that are coming in and taking their local talent. The guy is going to have to not only battle within the university but he’s also going to have to battle within south Florida for kids. I think Greg Schiano could come in and rebrand the football. He’s been here and knows how to recruit. Greg has been there, done it. He has successful experience doing it. To me that’s the key. You’re at the University of Miami for christ takes. You have these expectations. Hire somebody with the ability to get it done. I personally don’t think Al (Golden) got a great (deal). He came in with one hand tied behind his back and this is the first year that he’s played on a level playing field. But the fickle environment of the University of Miami’s alumni and everybody else. They don’t want to see where the coaches hands have been tied behind his back in terms of facilities as well as scholarship loss and this whole cloud of investigation over the last three years. Whoever comes in has to rebrand it. They have to hire somebody that has done it before. Otherwise you’re kidding yourself. I think Charlie Strong is too locked into Texas. Charlie Strong has a great reputation down here. He’s been there. He’s done that. Did it at Louisville. I would want to hire somebody who has gone up the ranks to get a top tier job. That’s used a program like a Louisville or a Rutgers that’s done more with less because that’s what you’ve got right now. You need to do more with less.”

Will Bahler, Lakeland, Fla. assistant coach: “I really think Mario Cristobal could be the next coach. No real explanation needed.”

Roger Pollard, Coral Gables, Fla.: "Knowledge of the University of Miami itself. When the University of Miami was in it's prime they were killing it down here in south Florida. Everyone is coming in here to get your athletes. Going elsewhere to get your big guys. So prior knowledge will be key. University of Miami has been known for great defenses. Guy that can run and hit. Kids play faster when they understand exactly what they're supposed to do. Someone young with knowledge of the area. I know everyone has been talking about (Mario) Cristobal because he's an alumni and he knows this area. Same things with (Greg) Schiano. Those are the top guys off the top of my head."

Jayson Roberts, Tampa Bay, Fla./Tech coach: “It’s big if Georgia let’s go of Mark Richt. It’s a no brainer. They both would save each other. He’d give them a big name winner with Miami ties and they’d give him a route to the playoff that doesn’t mean going directly through the SEC.”

Kenny Strong, Lakeland, Fla./Lake Gibson assistant coach: “Jedd Fisch, in my opinion. He’s been there before, knows the kids and program. Has NFL experience. Or Mario Cristobal. He’s also been there before and knows the program. Has had the opportunity to learn from wise men like Nick Saban.”

Josh Shaffer, Fort Pierce, Fla./Central coach: “I think Mario Cristobal, great coach at FIU who has a lot of Miami connections.”

John Wilkinson, Cocoa coach: “Cristobal played there, recruits in Miami, would make ex-players happy. He knows the Miami way.”

Stephen Field, Citra, Fla./North Marion: “Mario Cristobal is a Hurricane. He was there in the championship years. He knows how to recruit Florida kids."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't get it. Cristobal might be worse than Golden if that's even possible.

Dear God. We went that route with Randy Shannon, did we not? A Miami guy. A guy that coached here, played here, had deep ties to the community. To **** with that. We need a good coach, not a good recruiter. A good coach will draw local players by producing results. Yes, we want someone that can recruit, but if they can't coach themselves out of a wet paper bag they are USELESS. Mario can recruit, but dear lord, ANY good coach can recruit well at UM.

Advertisement
This is like asking the night manager at a La Quinta in Kendall who the Mandarin Oriental should hire as their GM. There's a reason these guys probably responded to this question while monitoring in-school suspension or right before they taught a middle school phys ed class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dammit mane....

Earl Little, Miami/Jackson coach: “I think first and foremost Miami has to get a Hurricane guy. Either Mario Cristobal, Rob Chudzinski or bring Butch Davis back. Somebody that knows the culture down here and knows what Miami football is all about. That’s what I think. Just the swagger. The shirts that Miami is making: “The U invented Swag.” Nobody plays college football like Miami did in the 80s. When I watch the other teams play. Let these kids have fun and go out and play. Miami has to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I like James Coley a lot but I’m not sure how much total control he had over the total offense. Defensively it hasn’t been a University of Miami 4-3 defense. That’s what Miami needs to get back to. I know the game has changed with more spread offense. You have to have a Miami guy that knows these kids from Palm Beach on down. You have to have that 4-3 defense and you just have to be aggressive. Spread it out like you do now a days. When I look at Baylor and Toledo those kids aren’t good like Miami kids. And they are putting up 60 points doing it. Before they hired (Al) Golden I was hoping they would hire Mike Leach at the time because of that up-tempo and that spread offense. He was right here in Key West at the time. Mario Cristobal intrigues me because he’s a Hurricane. He’s from Columbus High School in Miami. He’s a Cuban-American. He was nasty. Him and his twin brother were nasty offensive linemen. They were just going to get after your butt. Mario did a great job at FIU. He turned around a program that was a doormat and went to a bowl game. How can you turn up an opportunity to coach at Alabama? So he’s been learning under Nick Saban the past few years. The stuff he already knew playing under coach (Jimmy) Johnson and coach (Dennis) Erickson. Have that Miami swagger. That whole mentality as an offensive lineman. And just a guy that knows Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. That’s why he’s my first choice. Then you have a guy like (Rob) Chudzinski who is a great offensive mind. He’s a Miami guy. Miami has guys that can do it but Mario can get that recruiting and get that fire back. Mario is the guy.”

this is what I dont get

why does everyone on this board hate him and 100% of coaches say he should be the guy

this is what I dont get

why does everyone on this board hate him and 100% of coaches say he should be the guy

Because Mario has good relations with those coaches and they want their kids to get offers. That's all. They don't care if the Hurricanes are great or not, they just want theirs.

I tried to tell ya

So Vern, any idea how much $$$ Mario is spreading around to get that type of support? Some of these guy say "need a proven winner" and then hawk Mario? I didn't see them sending all their star kids to FIU. Do they think that SEC/Bama cha ching is going with Mario to THE U? I was born here and I smell some banana republic action going on.

For me, I want the guy that is going to bring NCs back to THE U. Sure that means Miami players, but these local coaches' primary interest is more D1 offers for their kids and $$ for their pockets. I want local kids but an relationships with HS coaches are crucial, but, Lucy, something smells here.

Advertisement
Back