S.fla Coaches on Who Miami Should Hire (It's Long)

Advertisement
As much flack as we give him for recruiting at Bama - which shouldn't be that hard - I do see recruiting value with him and he'd be a great transitional hire for the new staff in that he's used to recruiting this area (hits the ground running). I think he can be very solid in that role. As far as positional coaching, I know bama fans aren't huge fans of him for his OL, but I think OL coaching and OC philosophy go hand in hand and there may be more to it than we think. JMO

Well, really the only scenario that people mention him coming on staff is with a Miami guy like Butch. I don't think Butch needs Mario to hold his hand.

And as far as positional coaching, we can do much better than Mario. I don't really care nor want to take a chance due to a theory that his OL coaching and OC philosophy are clashing.

Last edited:
Good point - I don't see a non-Miami guy hiring Mario to be on the staff.

Probably don't like Butch because only 3 or 4 starters on our offense in 2001 were from Florida. Butch will recruit the right guys from south Florida but he was also go out of state to get the right talent.

Advertisement
Let me start by saying that I'm on the Butch train as much as all of you guys. With that being said I can see why most of the coaches want Mario to be the GUY. College football is all about recruiting and he's the most connected guy right now in south Florida with coaches, recruits, handlers etc. Once you have the studs in house with the right coaching assistants you can be as good as anybody. I get their point Butch has been out for a while and as much as we want to see him again as the coach taking him is as much of a gamble as hiring Mario or any other coach.

Last edited:
Probably don't like Butch because only 3 or 4 starters on our offense in 2001 were from Florida. Butch will recruit the right guys from south Florida but he was also go out of state to get the right talent.

anyone who doesnt do this is ignorant. ask randy shannon how putting all your eggs in 1 basket worked out.

That is frightening as ****.

Hopefully, the BOT is not listening to this nonsense. Why would we put our ENTIRE program in the hands of a recruiting coordinator? What an absolute disaster Cristobal would be.

Advertisement
And this is why these guys are south florida high school coaches.

It is a fact that this area has the worst coaching in america. Most of these guys barely graduated high school.

These pieces of garbage like Mario b/c every time Mario visits their school he is bringing a duffle bag of cash.

These are the same idiots for the most part that are known to be the worst coaches in all of America. Their opinions should not be taken seriously.

These are the guys whose players are the most penalized in all of college Football regardless where they send them !

And then you have to spend considerable time coaching them up... not to do the dumb while sustaining aggression.

Yes, these are the guys we should be listening to.

Put a South Florida coach somewhere outside of Dade and broward and they might be lucky to win 2 games. Lulz what a ******* ****show to want bammer's worst coach

Advertisement
this is what I dont get

why does everyone on this board hate him and 100% of coaches say he should be the guy

Because Mario has good relations with those coaches and they want their kids to get offers. That's all. They don't care if the Hurricanes are great or not, they just want theirs.

Exactly. Mario was at FIU and offered most of these kids players because FIU was a new program that needed talent. Then, Mario goes to Alabama and offers all of their top guys. He says stuff like, "Man I would kill to take Isaiah Mckenzie or Juwan Dowels or *insert undersized or overlooked player who everyone knew was good* but Saban has strict requirements and blah and blah and blah." Now, Mario coming back to Miami would mean all the kids are getting offered. Obviously, Mike Rumph & Earl Little want UM to succeed but there are biases going into their answer IMO. As CaneAreAble said, "No need to overcorrect by getting a UM guy just because Al Golden was a non-UM guy who failed."

Dear God. We went that route with Randy Shannon, did we not? A Miami guy. A guy that coached here, played here, had deep ties to the community. To **** with that. We need a good coach, not a good recruiter. A good coach will draw local players by producing results. Yes, we want someone that can recruit, but if they can't coach themselves out of a wet paper bag they are USELESS. Mario can recruit, but dear lord, ANY good coach can recruit well at UM.

This x10000. People are trying their hardest to forget Randy ever coached here. We tried this out before and it did not end well. Moreover, Randy coached during prime UM years and had an expertise prior to becoming HC.

I have no beef with any candidate. Let Mario prove he can do it at a UCF before getting a big gig. 27-47 at FIU

Last edited by a moderator:
Just goes to show Bama's recruiting tactics......

Buy off the high school coaches, and even sell them on an idea that if you become HC somewhere, the HS coaches will all get jobs in the regime.

Then, when the coaches don't all get new high paying gigs, they turn on the HC and declare he "ruined relationships". Rinse and repeat.

Well, I suggest you peeps take to Twitter and shout this **** down. If you think it's frightening - just imagine when it gets legs

Advertisement
That "culture" of idiocy and nepotism and "can you hook me up with that secretarial gig y'all gave Beard a couple years ago" cancer should be way scarier to prospective HCs than banners or a half-empty stadium.

You can fix the banner/stadium stuff quickly with wins. Fixing that sort of deeply ingrained stupidity and hunger for dirty lucre is a daunting proposition

Enough with hiring 'recruiters'. Give me and X and O coach who knows how to win! Mario's key attribute is his connections to SFLA. That's why he's at BAMA. Thats why he will stay employed somewhere. He's not hard to believe the people he makes sure to be close to (for his livelihood) are pulling for him.

With that said, #BBB

That "culture" of idiocy and nepotism and "can you hook me up with that secretarial gig y'all gave Beard a couple years ago" cancer should be way scarier to prospective HCs than banners or a half-empty stadium.

You can fix the banner/stadium stuff quickly with wins. Fixing that sort of deeply ingrained stupidity and hunger for dirty lucre is a daunting proposition

AMEN to this. I think this thread has actually cleared up why the local corches love Mario, when no one else does. It's actually crystal clear now.

Advertisement
Back