S.fla Coaches on Who Miami Should Hire (It's Long)

Advertisement
this is what I dont get

why does everyone on this board hate him and 100% of coaches say he should be the guy

He's 27-47 as a football CEO.

Plus, there is lingering resentment with how he left Miami for Alabama.

Advertisement
Dammit mane....

Earl Little, Miami/Jackson coach: “I think first and foremost Miami has to get a Hurricane guy. Either Mario Cristobal, Rob Chudzinski or bring Butch Davis back. Somebody that knows the culture down here and knows what Miami football is all about. That’s what I think. Just the swagger. The shirts that Miami is making: “The U invented Swag.” Nobody plays college football like Miami did in the 80s. When I watch the other teams play. Let these kids have fun and go out and play. Miami has to be aggressive on both sides of the ball. I like James Coley a lot but I’m not sure how much total control he had over the total offense. Defensively it hasn’t been a University of Miami 4-3 defense. That’s what Miami needs to get back to. I know the game has changed with more spread offense. You have to have a Miami guy that knows these kids from Palm Beach on down. You have to have that 4-3 defense and you just have to be aggressive. Spread it out like you do now a days. When I look at Baylor and Toledo those kids aren’t good like Miami kids. And they are putting up 60 points doing it. Before they hired (Al) Golden I was hoping they would hire Mike Leach at the time because of that up-tempo and that spread offense. He was right here in Key West at the time. Mario Cristobal intrigues me because he’s a Hurricane. He’s from Columbus High School in Miami. He’s a Cuban-American. He was nasty. Him and his twin brother were nasty offensive linemen. They were just going to get after your butt. Mario did a great job at FIU. He turned around a program that was a doormat and went to a bowl game. How can you turn up an opportunity to coach at Alabama? So he’s been learning under Nick Saban the past few years. The stuff he already knew playing under coach (Jimmy) Johnson and coach (Dennis) Erickson. Have that Miami swagger. That whole mentality as an offensive lineman. And just a guy that knows Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. That’s why he’s my first choice. Then you have a guy like (Rob) Chudzinski who is a great offensive mind. He’s a Miami guy. Miami has guys that can do it but Mario can get that recruiting and get that fire back. Mario is the guy.”

At this point it's clear you're trolling because you can't be that dumb.

In 14 years as a football CEO, Leach has 1 10+ win season and no conference titles.

Miami deserves better, Miami can do better.

Yeah, no inherent bias at all in those responses. Most of these guys probably could not pick Herman, Fuente, Kelly, Gundy, Patterson, et al out of a police lineup. They all know Mario. ****, he is probably hooking them up with the Bama bag men. Of course they are going to mention his name. Let's just pray to God that the people making the decision are not listening to this garbage.

Advertisement
this is what I dont get

why does everyone on this board hate him and 100% of coaches say he should be the guy

I don't have a real opinion about Mario, but I want Butch almost to exclusion. I fail to see the excitement for Mario and am suspicious of the cause. He seem a little like a slick politician, but I admit I mostly am going with the board on Mario.

this is what I dont get

Those coaches are trying to get jobs lol

Here's your answer.

Every one of them will tell Mario he "owes them" if he gets the job.

Some will want jobs, others will want preference for their kids.

But the moment Mario doesn't deliver, they'll turn on him.

... I hear Coley had a similar experience when he came to Miami. Some coaches who supported him when he was at FSU stopped liking him as much when he came to Miami. They touted him, same as Mario did when he was on staff ...

And we see how that's worked out.

Not only is Coley failing to live up to his lofty recruiter status he had before coming to Miami, he's also not great as an OC.

We'll get the same situation with Cristobal as HC ... A guy who suddenly doesn't recruit as well as people thought, and who isn't ready to be a HC at the highest level.

UCF is open ... That's where Cristobal should go. And he can take Coley with him ...

this is what I dont get

27-47 in the worst conference in D1 despite having access to more talent than his competition. 3-9 his final season. Larry Coker currently has a better winning percentage at UTSA. Golden had a more impressive resume at Temple. We've been down this road before and it ended horribly.

Advertisement
this is what I dont get

Those coaches are trying to get jobs lol

Here's your answer.

Every one of them will tell Mario he "owes them" if he gets the job.

Some will want jobs, others will want preference for their kids.

But the moment Mario doesn't deliver, they'll turn on him.

... I hear Coley had a similar experience when he came to Miami. Some coaches who supported him when he was at FSU stopped liking him as much when he came to Miami. They touted him, same as Mario did when he was on staff ...

And we see how that's worked out.

Not only is Coley failing to live up to his lofty recruiter status he had before coming to Miami, he's also not great as an OC.

We'll get the same situation with Cristobal as HC ... A guy who suddenly doesn't recruit as well as people thought, and who isn't ready to be a HC at the highest level.

UCF is open ... That's where Cristobal should go. And he can take Coley with him ...

So true re: Coley. Pretty ironic that his biggest "gets" have been a kid from the other side of the state (Allison) and the other side of the country (Kaaya).

Watch Luigi not even get an interview at UCF too. He'll probably pull the old "removed his name from consideration" trick when there was no consideration to begin with.

this is what I dont get

do you think that if Butch wasnt an option the same resentment would exist?

I think Mario's ****** win/loss record is the overriding factor. The resentment part is just something extra.

this is what I dont get

do you think that if Butch wasnt an option the same resentment would exist?
It has nothing to do with Butch. This program has been irrelevant for a decade because of bad coaching decisions. They cannot ***** it up this time around. Fans are nervous because Mario's name keeps popping up yet he failed miserably in his only previous head coaching job. Why is Mario's name not linked to the USCe, USCw, or even the UCF job? Why should Miami settle for the guy who was fired by FIU after going 27-47? It is insulting to our fan base.

Advertisement
I'm starting to fall for Mario if all those guys are saying he's the guy is because of something. Hopefully we get the best guy

Follow the $$$$ and the truth will set you free. Could there be any self interest working here? If I am a local HC coach, I want my kids to get all the offers that can AND I want maximum value for me and mine. Do you thing the price for a local kids on the selling block to a SEC team goes up or down IF THE U offers him? Pretend you are the salesman. "Kid was born a Cane, man. Hard to get him to look up there. He bleeds Orange and Green. Man, this is a heavy lift. What you got I can use to move him? ......."

Even if coach is clean, I'm sure some are, he still want it for HIS kids. I am born and raised here, but I live for THE U, not my HS or my neighborhood. That is not true of everyone. Their Hood is more important. I am not blaming them, but my interest to not necessarily align with theirs. Asked them if hiring Mario means they are shutting to doors on the next Bama front man Saban sends down?

this is what I dont get

Because when he got a chance to be head coach he sucked, Bama fans RIGHT NOW would help him pack his bags despite his recruiting! One thing Mario has done tho is PR, dude mustve put years in for this and it is paying dividends. He has media and local coaches in back pocket, even with terrible record as a head coach. The media influence on the simple minded cannot be understated. The mass public get their thoughts without looking deep into it and just run with it. No mention in any of these articles is the hesitation a school should have hiring a failed coach with the record he put up at FIU. If Mario is such a great coach why hasnt his name been mentioned for ANY other job opening. Dude should be in line at UCF more than UM. He needs to prove what he has learned under the great Nick Saban before he gets a gig like UM.

Either way if we dont voice our mind, the media will win and influence enough people to allow UM to cheap out one more time. See below. The tide is turning. With these pieces weekly, Cristobal will have been head coach leading bama to playoff last couple of years!

I'm starting to fall for Mario if all those guys are saying he's the guy is because of something. Hopefully we get the best guy

Advertisement
Back