Ryan Ragone

Advertisement
Pick your poison - knowing the defensive calls and not being able to get there or not knowing the defensive calls and not being in the right place.
This is something that a lot of fans don't realize. There's so much that goes into every single play that people take for granted. I tried to explain it when people were asking why Few was getting reps over the freshmen. If a guys is struggling with the basics, like getting lined up in the right position and knowing what the defensive calls are in practice, he's not going to get on the field during a game. I would much rather see Huff or Austin-Cave or any of the higher ceiling guys out there getting reps but if they're not playing, it's because the coaches don't trust them. They're not playing Ragone because they think he's going to be good, they play him sparingly because they know he won't totally blow an assignment. Hopefully the younger guys can get a little more comfortable and they will start getting more reps.

Every week, win or lose, there is always some target for fans wrath. So far this season we’ve had Ivey, Few, Pope and Ragone. Looking forward to seeing who’s next.

For the record, Ragone a made man in my book. Helped us land D’Eriq. He deserves that scholly and his 6 plays a game.

Fans crack me up, the bench players are always better than the starters. As if coaches, with their jobs on the line, are deliberately playing the worst players on the team. Could it be that the younger player isn’t ready mentally to log those snaps? Let the coaches put in a younger, inexperienced player and he has a bust, costing us a TD. Y’all would be whining and crying for ppl to be fired in that scenario too. There is no winning with y’all, even when we win smh.

Advertisement
They weren't garbage time snaps. Why tf do we need to play 3 WLBs? McCloud and Steed have been here for 50 years and have earned the right to play. 2 WLBs is sufficient. It hasn't all been bad when Ragone is on the field. He's got a nose for the ball but he's a step slow.

Every week, win or lose, there is always some target for fans wrath. So far this season we’ve had Ivey, Few, Pope and Ragone. Looking forward to seeing who’s next.

For the record, Ragone a made man in my book. Helped us land D’Eriq. He deserves that scholly and his 6 plays a game.

Fans crack me up, the bench players are always better than the starters. As if coaches, with their jobs on the line, are deliberately playing the worst players on the team. Could it be that the younger player isn’t ready mentally to log those snaps? Let the coaches put in a younger, inexperienced player and he has a bust, costing us a TD. Y’all would be whining and crying for ppl to be fired in that scenario too. There is no winning with y’all, even when we win smh.

@apfenny3 is disgusted by the behavior some of y'all are showing to the few (pun intended), the proud, and the walk-ons.

This is why he doesn't post with you unwashed plebs anymore.

Advertisement
I've seen you mention his ST excellence a few times, but how does that apply to him playing LB?

It shows an aggressive mentality and his athleticism translating into the game. Both of those things can help him work through mistakes.

You also want to reward young players for excelling in their current role by expanding their role. We’re talking about stealing six snaps from a limited player.

He recruited Deriq King, he can play 10 plays a game and im cool. **** Ragu nearly had a tfl, got a tackle as well.

Him, Marshall Few, the dude that was a special teams demon, Fentress are all guys to point at when trying to get preferred walk ons that its possible to earn a schollie. Especially taking preferred walk ons from Big time programs.

Thank lord, someone that analyzes thing without fangirl emotion. These guys are always looking to find a scapegoat.

Every team has weaknesses, and players with less talent.

And it is written that every year there will be a successor to Robert Knowles for everyone to pile on.

Six fūcking snaps. Get the fūck over it.

Advertisement
What did Ragone on ST to earn snaps?
The question should be "What did Huff do to jump Ragone".

That's not to say I like seeing Ragone in there. If we were in rebuilding mode I'd say f*ck it, play Huff, I'll willing to take the lumps. But Manny isn't. He coaching for his life. He's looking at it differently.

The reality is we still have holes in the roster.

Advertisement
Like it or not that's how bad our depth is. No reason to pile on the kid.. Not his fault we are average.

I love how people keep mentioning Ivey as if he unfairly gets critized when his play on the field actually deserved the criticism.

Ivey played the most snaps out of every CB vs UAB with 54, against LVille he only had 33, that wasn't because the fans forced Baker to play him less, the staff reviewed the film & saw what many of us have been saying for a while about his inability to cover down the field.

Fans aren't just picking on him for no reason, he's played pretty bad dating back to last year & hadn't improved much, so when he continuously keeps getting chances despite his poor play fans will obviously wonder why, especially when you have corners behind him that aren't playing.

You don't have to tell me how unreasonable & irrational our fans are most of the time, it's a general consensus Miami fans are restless & insufferable 95% of the time, however, I don't think that's the case in this situation especially with Ivey or Ragone because the issue is when these guys are out there on the field & they're not making plays & you have other guys on the sideline who are seemingly as talented if not more, then it makes people ask, "ummm how come that dude ain't playing if the other dude who is playing is struggling?"

When it comes to Ragone, he's great kid, great in the locker room& a great story for our program, love him. But, when he plays (& you can go back to the GTech game last year too), it's quite obvious there's a lack of speed, lateral quickness & just overall ability. So it comes down to okay, he's on the field & he's playing & it doesn't look too good, so what do we do now? Do he keep playing & keep not looking too good & are we as fans not supposed to notice it & just smile?

We play 2 LB's & we have about 9 guys for those 2 spots, there's a consistent 4 who play & once we start getting into the 5th guy people wanna see what we got with some of those other players, but when they don't get snaps but a limited walk-on does it makes people scratch their head.

Now, I will say people are being impatient, we're only 2 games in, so it's way too early to start getting too rowdy over shìt like this right now, but what you don't wanna see is for this stuff to keep happening as we get into the deep end of the season. I mean no offense to Ragone or any of his fans, but he don't need to be on the field when we play crucial opponents like Clemson, Pitt, UVA etc., that's just the cold hard truth, nothing against him personally.

There's no way a D1 football team in South Florida should have 6 spaces on its roster--and a player like Ragone getting six snaps in a football game--especially when you have six scholarships to give to South Florida athletes.

You don't understand how recruiting, class caps, and initial counters work. Rangone, a walk-on, got a 'ship because it's literally impossible for us to add another scholarship kid(s) to get to 85 right now. He didn't get anyone else's ship. If we didn't give a few walk-ons one year 'ships this year, those spots would have stayed empty. So why the **** not reward the unsung guys who are out there busting their *** since it literally has no affect on the roster? Congrats to him and the others who work their asses off on Greentree.

It shows an aggressive mentality and his athleticism translating into the game. Both of those things can help him work through mistakes.

You also want to reward young players for excelling in their current role by expanding their role. We’re talking about stealing six snaps from a limited player.
I'm not so sure Huff's spot should be interchangeable with Ragu, and I'm not all that sure running straight down the field with your afro on fire translates to playing LB either. But I'd love to see him start getting some reps. We've had some guys run down on STs like absolute demons like Huff (Weaver twins and Carl Walker come to mind) who couldn't translate that to position play.

Advertisement
Back