Ryan Fines

still listed as a DT on the official roster

discuss

The UM production department is pretty bush league when it comes to that type of stuff. The only quick changes they make to the online roster is when someone is booted because of obvious reasons.

This is true in most cases, although they're getting better. Gus and Courtel were removed pretty swiftly and they have profiles for the EEs, albeit no numbers yet.

With what we have returning along the interior OL I hope Fines gets a look at guard.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Actually think we need Fines at DT.

No way of knowing if we may need him next year or not. And it's better that he has experience this yr. Even if he doesn't play, its not like hes going to play on the OL for us.

Advertisement
Actually think we need Fines at DT.

No way of knowing if we may need him next year or not. And it's better that he has experience this yr. Even if he doesn't play, its not like hes going to play on the OL for us.

I agree. It seems his chances of contributing are much greater on the DL. Maybe not so much in 2017, but definitely he could help in 2018.

He was very much in use when we had all those injuries mid-season... we will need him this year when we have a large lead and we need to rest the starters and 2nd string guys... and he'll be very much serviceable maybe even getting a lot of burn in 2018... Kool may just work some magic on him...

Advertisement
Runnin low on DTs....

Molten
Willis
McIntosh
Norton
Martin
Bethel?
DJ Johnson?
Ford?
Logan?

I don't see any scenario in which DJ Johnson moves inside. He is a speed rusher who happens to have a frame that will allow him to bull rush and be a responsible run stopper. I'm no expert & don't claim to know any more than what my eyes show me. I see a Jevon Kearse type fast twitch + 15 20 lbs when he goes to the league.

First of all nobody was going to mention DJ as a possible DT or he would never come here. After seeing his frame I would agree get the kid to 260 Strong side DE and let him earn the money at that position for 10 years.

Would rather see Fines stay at DT for reps in 2018. If Willis and Nixon both leave we need a guys for reps and scout team.

Logan leaving LSU why? Why would a stud leave a DL NFL factory like LSU? Got to be cautious.

Bethal is a DT in my opinion.

Need to find the best 1 Tech DT in Juco for next year.

Aaron Donald of the Rams is one of the best DT's in the world at 6'. Just saying.

Advertisement
You guys who are saying DJ will *absolutely* not be a DT are guessing just like the guys who are saying he may grow into one. His frame isn't enormous, but if he's really 240, I don't see it as an impossibility. Perhaps unlikely, which is why I've said he'll start off at Chad Thomas' position and stay there unless he outgrows it, but who really knows?

I've seen UM guys with smaller frames gain a ton of natural weight in a surprising way. My only thing is NEVER bloat kids or keep them artificially slim. I think it's a problem when you do either. Let DJ eat, work out, fill out completely, and then just decide. It's not a big deal, as he can make an impact at either Thomas' spot or elsewhere. Recruit a second DT in this class ANYWAY.

I'm bumping this thread because DJ Johnson is supposedly upward of 260 pounds right now as a True Freshman in Fall camp. Some claim he's 270. I don't know, as it hasn't been verified. But, my point will always remain it's really hard to predict what a kid's body will do between about 16-19 years old. We'll see how it ends up. It'll work itself out at either SSDE or sliding in. Again, just let the kid naturally develop.

DJ Johnson 8 months ago:

DJ Johnson now:

You guys who are saying DJ will *absolutely* not be a DT are guessing just like the guys who are saying he may grow into one. His frame isn't enormous, but if he's really 240, I don't see it as an impossibility. Perhaps unlikely, which is why I've said he'll start off at Chad Thomas' position and stay there unless he outgrows it, but who really knows?

I've seen UM guys with smaller frames gain a ton of natural weight in a surprising way. My only thing is NEVER bloat kids or keep them artificially slim. I think it's a problem when you do either. Let DJ eat, work out, fill out completely, and then just decide. It's not a big deal, as he can make an impact at either Thomas' spot or elsewhere. Recruit a second DT in this class ANYWAY.

I'm bumping this thread because DJ Johnson is supposedly upward of 260 pounds right now as a True Freshman in Fall camp. Some claim he's 270. I don't know, as it hasn't been verified. But, my point will always remain it's really hard to predict what a kid's body will do between about 16-19 years old. We'll see how it ends up. It'll work itself out at either SSDE or sliding in. Again, just let the kid naturally develop.

DJ Johnson 8 months ago:

DJ Johnson now:

Backing up what you wrote they played him inside during the UA AA game and I know I was bent out of shape because I wanted to show case himself as a DE. They might have been onto something. Def SDE with Garvin the WDE. I'm sure that was the plan to see how his body would react to a College SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ Johnson 8 months ago:

DJ Johnson now:

Yeah, I'm not one of those that typically likes to constantly switch positions for some of our players which seems to have developed into a daily habit. Having said that, his base and overall build leads me to believe that he may eventually be moved to DT.

Advertisement
Back