Ryan Fines

You guys really hand-wringing over DTs with Kool here? LULZ. He'll either move someone to DT, recruit a grad transfer, get a JUCO guy, or get a freshmans ready like he did at Mizzpoo.

Guys got slumped shoulders and pained expressions about 2018 already. LOL. You got the best DL coach in the country here. He's going to handle ****.

Advertisement
Gerald Willis was skinny as **** in high school. DJ imo has girth in his lower body that tells me he'll leave here weighing about 275.

Gerald%20Willis.jpg

Matter of fact...

Chickillo was way thicker than DJ coming out of high school and look what happened to him when Golden forced him to be in the 280's.

chick.jpg

Advertisement
This lean *** kid is never going to play DT. Doesn't even have the body type to hold that much weight. McIntosh, for example, was way thicker than him coming out of high school.

View attachment 41514
View attachment 41515

He's a prototype DE.

If you didn't tell me how big he was, I would have guessed 6-1, 205. Kid does not have the frame for it.

As for Bethel, there was a closeup of him during the RAB and I was surprised at how big he's gotten. But, he's got skinnyish legs. I know people love saying he's going to be a DT but I don't see it.

I've been banging the "need more than 1 DT in this class" drum for a long time, especially since we could very well lose our entire 3 deep at DT after next year. That's a HUGE loss.

I been on the same thing. We need another dt in this class badly. Not sure the lackadaisical approach to that. But if we don't land it will be a problem.
Bethel lower half doesn't support it..and he is sort of narrow as well..I always saw him as a tweener though..but he can't ever be a full time dt.
Even if it's a developmental guy..they need to bring in a dt or a dt transfer like Logan

I think bringing in Logan is an excellent idea. He RS and was coached by Orgeron. He transfers and sits out another year to be coached by Kul. Dudes going to be ready to contribute after.
And I think we are still recruiting Concliffe and a few others.
I think it just is happening on the DL.

Great move if true switching Fines to Guard as he has no chance to help us at DT...

LOL at all those worrying about August/2018 DT position!

Another guy who was skinny when he arrived was Olsen Pierre. These kids with long limbs get to college and get blowed up in the cafeteria/weight room.

C2JlDLmUUAARkRz.jpg

You guys who are saying DJ will *absolutely* not be a DT are guessing just like the guys who are saying he may grow into one. His frame isn't enormous, but if he's really 240, I don't see it as an impossibility. Perhaps unlikely, which is why I've said he'll start off at Chad Thomas' position and stay there unless he outgrows it, but who really knows?

I've seen UM guys with smaller frames gain a ton of natural weight in a surprising way. My only thing is NEVER bloat kids or keep them artificially slim. I think it's a problem when you do either. Let DJ eat, work out, fill out completely, and then just decide. It's not a big deal, as he can make an impact at either Thomas' spot or elsewhere. Recruit a second DT in this class ANYWAY.

Advertisement
idk who will be at DT in another season...but I think you all are overestimating the number of kids that will leave here in one season. I think we'll be fine...Kuligowski will coach up everybody and we'll be fine.

DTs no longer need RS and many of the good ones contribute immediately. Just needs to be a big focus during the next cycle.

I've stayed away from this thread since it was posted because of all the scrubs on the roster I am fond of this cat. He should be one of those cats who get jacked up on surplus Eastern Block steroids and beast out before it was discovered at the NFL combine after he tosses up 225 like 59 times and runs a 4.43 forty at 330 lbs. Seriously Fines seems like a kid teammates love even though he's not a player.

You guys who are saying DJ will *absolutely* not be a DT are guessing just like the guys who are saying he may grow into one. His frame isn't enormous, but if he's really 240, I don't see it as an impossibility. Perhaps unlikely, which is why I've said he'll start off at Chad Thomas' position and stay there unless he outgrows it, but who really knows?

I've seen UM guys with smaller frames gain a ton of natural weight in a surprising way. My only thing is NEVER bloat kids or keep them artificially slim. I think it's a problem when you do either. Let DJ eat, work out, fill out completely, and then just decide. It's not a big deal, as he can make an impact at either Thomas' spot or elsewhere. Recruit a second DT in this class ANYWAY.

There's guesses...
And there's educated guesses.

My guess is based on likelihood. It's unlikely, and uncommon, to see a 240lb kid blow up to 285 in college.

If you're guessing that a kid will grow to be a DT and all you're looking at is the fact that's "already 240" then you're guessing in the wrong direction. You can tell by a kid's frame/waist/torso whether he can hold that type of weight or not.

I've seen what the whole high school DE ----> college DT transition looks like.
We played against McIntosh when he was in high school. He was much thicker than DJ.
I also met Leonard Williams at the USF big man camp when he was a rising Senior. Again, much thicker than DJ.

When you're guessing based on past experience and/or likelihood then it's not "just a guess".

Most kids gain around 15-25 good pounds in college.

All this stuff about guys "blowing up" in college and gaining 30-40-50 pounds is a fallacy. Seldom happens. I have personally never seen it with any of the kids I've sent to college.

What I normally see is kids who put on 15-25 pounds of lean, explosive, muscular weight. Kids have left us/me at 185 and after 3 years in college they're 207 and maybe .10/.20 faster.

Advertisement

There's guesses...

My guess is based on likelihood. It's unlikely, and uncommon, to see a 240lb kid blow up to 285 in college.

If you're guessing that a kid will grow to be a DT and all you're looking at is the fact that's "already 240" then you're guessing in the wrong direction. You can tell by a kid's frame/waist/torso whether he can hold that type of weight or not.

We played against McIntosh when he was in high school. He was much thicker than DJ.
I also met Leonard Williams at the USF big man camp when he was a rising Senior. Again, much thicker than DJ.

When you're guessing based on past experience and/or likelihood then it's not "just a guess".
So my position is that, most of the time, I have no idea what a kid's body will do because I don't have enough info on age, family history, previous weight training and diet regiment. So, early in their careers, I just hang back and wait till it resolves itself. Now, your point about kids mostly gaining about 20 pounds or so is noted. When I have more time, I'll check that with numbers from HS prospects to NFL prospects. As is going on in another thread, it's really not that serious. A simple game of 'what if.' In this case, think everyone acknowledges DJ Johnson will start out at Chad Thomas' role.

There's guesses...

So my position is that, most of the time, I have no idea what a kid's body will do because I don't have enough info on age, family history, previous weight training and diet regiment. So, early in their careers, I just hang back and wait till it resolves itself. Now, your point about kids mostly gaining about 20 pounds or so is noted. When I have more time, I'll check that with numbers from HS prospects to NFL prospects. As is going on in another thread, it's really not that serious. A simple game of 'what if.' In this case, think everyone acknowledges DJ Johnson will start out at Chad Thomas' role.

Personally, I see DJ developing into a more explosive Chad Thomas. I think he'll be around the same size/weight with more bend.
Hope I'm right.

I have to wonder if this potential move could be affected by the possible early departure of Courtel. We might need him at DT.

Advertisement
Look at the ankles, hips and shoulders... that's all you need to know

still listed as a DT on the official roster

discuss

The UM production department is pretty bush league when it comes to that type of stuff. The only quick changes they make to the online roster is when someone is booted because of obvious reasons.

Kool has said he's a de, until I hear other than that there's no reason for me to take serious. But i'm sure the cult of fat will continue to find guys to " slide inside"

Advertisement
Back