Ryan Fines

So we are legitimately facing going in to our 2018 season opener against LSU with only Martin and Jon Ford as DTs? How is the staff not alarmed by this possibility? We should have taken 3 DTs at a minimum in this class.
Logan is rumored all over this board. I don't know if that's going to happen or not, but it's basically exactly what we need or we'll be in some trouble. Additionally, I think at least one of our young guys may kick inside to the Mcintosh role.

As for who'll grow into it:
- maybe someone like DJ Johnson. I've been killed when i've said that, and agree he currently looks like the Chad Thomas role, but it's just a possibility if he outgrows the position. He may be 265 as a True Frosh. About as big as William Joseph.
- Haskins. Again, TE first but what if he naturally grows to 290? Not picking up a Mckitty type this year makes that less likely.
- Bethel. Don't see it yet, but we shall see what his body does. At 6' 3" 260, he'd need a jump to 285+ to make it more likely.

2018 would look like:

Logan/?/Frosh?
Ford/Martin/Frosh?

I cringe at depending on true Frosh as DTs. Don't love the depth chart, but could be worse. I was big on picking up at least 2 DTs this year. Luckily, we should really trust Kul and company.

Advertisement
So we are legitimately facing going in to our 2018 season opener against LSU with only Martin and Jon Ford as DTs? How is the staff not alarmed by this possibility? We should have taken 3 DTs at a minimum in this class.
Logan is rumored all over this board. I don't know if that's going to happen or not, but it's basically exactly what we need or we'll be in some trouble. Additionally, I think at least one of our young guys may kick inside to the Mcintosh role.

As for who'll grow into it:
- maybe someone like DJ Johnson. I've been killed when i've said that, and agree he currently looks like the Chad Thomas role, but it's just a possibility if he outgrows the position. He may be 265 as a True Frosh. About as big as William Joseph.
- Haskins. Again, TE first but what if he naturally grows to 290? Not picking up a Mckitty type this year makes that less likely.
- Bethel. Don't see it yet, but we shall see what his body does. At 6' 3" 260, he'd need a jump to 285+ to make it more likely.

2018 would look like:

Logan/?/Frosh?
Ford/Martin/Frosh?

I cringe at depending on true Frosh as DTs. Don't love the depth chart, but could be worse. I was big on picking up at least 2 DTs this year. Luckily, we should really trust Kul and company.

Bethel took snaps at DT this year, at least in the VT game if I remember correctly.

you dont think they know that? like i said before top d line dts have been hard to get for ten years give us two all americans Dts ans we win nat championship

This lean *** kid is never going to play DT. Doesn't even have the body type to hold that much weight. McIntosh, for example, was way thicker than him coming out of high school.

DJ2.jpg
DJ.jpg

He's a prototype DE.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This lean *** kid is never going to play DT. Doesn't even have the body type to hold that much weight. McIntosh, for example, was way thicker than him coming out of high school.

View attachment 41514
View attachment 41515

He's a prototype DE.

Not that there is a problem with it at all, but I see him as more of a Chad Thomas than a Joe Jackson. Think he will definitely be a SDE.
I don't expect DJ to grow into a DT, but also wouldn't be surprised. I think he could eventually. Not that I want him to, but I can envision it happening.

Where's the weight gonna go? You see how narrow his shoulders are?

He'd be fat as **** at 285. He'd look terrible.

Advertisement

Look how **** skinny he is! and he's like 245. I look at him and see that he's already 245 with not too much muscle/definition yet, and just overall skinny arms, thighs, and legs.
Then I look at Jon Ford who is also 6'5" and like 275, but isn't "fat" and I don't think its crazy to think DJ could put on that much weight, espcially good weight.

Again I think DJ will be the same thing Chad Thomas is - 6'6, 265lbs. and a SDE

Chad Thomas and DJ look almost identical in high school and Chad is still a minimum of 25lbs away from being a DT.

chad.jpg
chad2.jpg

Kids don't blow up like everybody says they do. Everybody thinks they get to college and gain like 50lbs. That almost never happens.

You can be a **** fine DT at 280s. You dont need to be 300lbs to excel in college at DT. If Bethel is legit 260 and not wearing a massive tire already, he's probably the best candidate out of the DE unit to put on a little more weight and be able to rotate in playing at 270-280 ish.

You can be a **** fine DT at 280s. You dont need to be 300lbs to excel in college at DT. If Bethel is legit 260 and not wearing a massive tire already, he's probably the best candidate out of the DE unit to put on a little more weight and be able to rotate in playing at 270-280 ish.

At 6'4"-6'5" you'd likely get your a$$ kicked at DT in major college football. I watched my DT at Western Illinois, who's 6'1" 282lbs and had a 605 squat and 375 bench when he graduated high school, get swallowed anytime they played a major D1 team. (like when they played Wisconsin for example) The only reason he wasn't recruited by bigger schools was because of his narrow frame and small waist. Every college coach had the same concern. His body wasn't built to hold 300lbs and still be athletic.

And that was on a 6'1" kid. 280lbs on a 6'3"-6'5" kid means that weight is dispersed even more. TRANSLATION: He won't have enough lead in his pencil.

I don't necessarily disagree on Bethel, I'm mainly referring to taller kids like DJ and Chad Thomas. I don't know much about Bethel's build but he looks pretty thick already.

Advertisement
Dj Johnson never would be a dt. .I have no clue why it keeps coming up or who started it.
He doesn't have the same frame as Chad either.
Also I don't think Bethel will be one eother..he seems to be tapped out for the most part. This isn't a video game where you can just add weight and say yea he is a dt. Theyre frame has to be able to carry it and order to be succesful.
The first time I seen Richard McIntosh was at the spring game before he came...I thought he was an ol...he was already over 265-275 pounds. Jon Ford is similar as well..weighs a little less than McIntosh though.

I always try to figure out where the 25-30 pounds they talk about is going to go..his dreads??. Did you not just go through years of bloated chickillo and golden doing 5he exact same thing yall want to do

View attachment 41514
View attachment 41515

He's a prototype DE.

If you didn't tell me how big he was, I would have guessed 6-1, 205. Kid does not have the frame for it.

As for Bethel, there was a closeup of him during the RAB and I was surprised at how big he's gotten. But, he's got skinnyish legs. I know people love saying he's going to be a DT but I don't see it.

I've been banging the "need more than 1 DT in this class" drum for a long time, especially since we could very well lose our entire 3 deep at DT after next year. That's a HUGE loss.

Advertisement

View attachment 41514
View attachment 41515

He's a prototype DE.

If you didn't tell me how big he was, I would have guessed 6-1, 205. Kid does not have the frame for it.

As for Bethel, there was a closeup of him during the RAB and I was surprised at how big he's gotten. But, he's got skinnyish legs. I know people love saying he's going to be a DT but I don't see it.

I've been banging the "need more than 1 DT in this class" drum for a long time, especially since we could very well lose our entire 3 deep at DT after next year. That's a HUGE loss.

I been on the same thing. We need another dt in this class badly. Not sure the lackadaisical approach to that. But if we don't land it will be a problem.
Bethel lower half doesn't support it..and he is sort of narrow as well..I always saw him as a tweener though..but he can't ever be a full time dt.
Even if it's a developmental guy..they need to bring in a dt or a dt transfer like Logan

I think Martin has a future with this team. I really like his athleticism and it will absolutely mean something with Kool getting him in the rotation in 2018.

Advertisement
Back