Running info on Bama.

Advertisement
There is a poster on the Bama board who has some direct connection to the team. He doesn't post often but when he does, he has the respect of both the 247 guys and the board. I was reading some of his "reports" about the actual personnel. Here is what he said about the QB position for 2021:
  • 2020-21 SABAN offense is a Pro Style RPO offense. This is combining NEs offense with Kiffin/Sark. Obrien is a prefect fit to run it. Coach O'Brien has been quoted as he wants a QB that is an accurate passer, makes good decisions and knows the offense better than he does.
    In comparing Bryce and Paul, we have two great options. Bryce is ahead with experience last year and an incredible HS career. Both are great passers. Bryce is more mobile. Paul is bigger and can see the field better. Bryce is more like Tua and Paul like Mac.

• The coaches are very confident in their QB room. I expect Bryce to start all spring and summer and into the season. I expect both to play in first two games and whoever starts at the end of the Florida game, will be your starter. Regardless who starts, we have to get both ready.
Bryce Young will be the starter, Paul Tyson will be 2nd team and Jalen Milroe will be third team.

Bryce had a very good year in practice and the coaches are very high on him and have confidence in him. He is a very accurate passer and has continued to learn the offense and get better at his reads. Bryce is also a very instinctive QB as he has a ton of experience passing in high school. Bryce can extend plays like Tua but not like Kyler, he has Tua's speed. He extended several plays during games and he is good at that. Sark put Bryce 2nd string the first day he got to campus and gave him a shot early at starting but it was never close. Mac was first string from start to finish which was expected by the players. This offense is very difficult to run and it takes awhile to understand the reads. But, the offense is lethal once perfected! Bryce got some practice time with the 1s to be prepared if Mac got hurt. Bryce gained some good experience playing but the coaches wish he would have played more. The SEC schedule as Saban said hurt in substituting. Bryce threw 22 passes this year compared to Tua throwing 77 passes his freshman year. Bryce's two areas of concern are being able to make the quick accurate reads from the pocket and durability. Bryce was sacked 6 times this year compared to Mac 13 with 400 attempts. This will improve as he gets better at reads. Bryce hurt his right shoulder twice this year when sacked and missed some practice time throwing. The worst was the KY game. Durability is always an issue at QB.

Paul
has had two good years of practice as he is now the oldest scholarship QB. Paul is a very accurate passer and can make every throw. Paul's size really helps him make the RPO throws and read fast from pocket. Paul and Mac both won the Alabama scholastic award. Paul knows the offense inside and out. He spent the spring/summer and fall with the 2s and 3s and in the fall ran the scout team against the 1 offense. Mac, Bryce, and Paul got the same reps all year but the order never changed. Paul was 3rd string all year, but got reps with 2s. With COVID, the coaches got all three ready to play. The coaches felt like we could win with all three but Mac was the best. The players and coaches have a lot of confidence in Paul as a player and as a leader on and off the field. Paul lacks experience and that is the biggest question. Paul missed the KY game with COVID and would have played and Saban said publicly that they should have got him in Arkansas. The other question is mobility which Paul is a pro pocket passer. Paul has to make up for extending plays with his feet by using his size to extend plays in the pocket and making reads quick.

Jalen
is the best athlete of the three and could play multiple positions. He will get a shot at QB, but it will take him 1 to 2 years to learn the offense and reads. He is coming from a running offense. Tua, Mac, Bryce, and Paul have all come from a HS that passes. Jalen will be a very good scout team QB and learn a lot this year. He understands that he needs to learn and has a great attitude. He is not coming in thinking he is going to start but he will compete hard.

Battle on defense and Metchie on offense are their best players. They are obviously uber talented and well coached but this team is far inferior to last year team. They lost generational talent to the draft.

They key for us will be the OL and O execution. We can't afford to have an O showing as we did versus Clemson in 2020 when we were not able to move the ball (looking at you Rhett)

Also look forward to see Bob Shoop helping us big time to contain their offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Will Anderson will be a handful. Battle is a great player. Their offensive line will be lethal and our pass rush is taking a step back obv.

It’s gotta be annoying for the old white guy bama boosters to have bear Bryant’s grandson on the bench.

Very happy that waddle smith najee and Mac are all gone. Those guys were dam good. Bryce might win the heisman. I just hope he doesn’t win it game 1.

Bill OB offense being complicated works in our favor here cause maybe the kids won’t be dialed in on it week 1

As long as Coo*%$ remains popular with Florida boys baga will always be dominant. All their boys high 4* or 5*. We just need to make it competitive or beat their ***.

Just a note: Metchie must be banged up from last fall. He is one of the players noted as likely NOT seeing much if any action this spring....

Advertisement
Alabama lost a lot of production on both sides of the ball. I'm sure the guys that move into those vacated positions will be equally as talented. The thing they'll have less of is experience. They may still be the best team in college football, but this is Miami's best case scenario of breaking in a new QB with not much experience in a brand new offense. Hopefully it takes them 2-3 quarters or more to get on track.

On one hand you have best team in college football with less experienced personnel going against a less talented more mature and experienced team. It's going to be interesting how it plays out. I just hope it's a competive game.
Manny always has us coming out of the gate playing on point and on fire, so yeah, this should help if it takes them a while.

I guess if there is ever a good time to play Bama, it's the 1st game of the season. It seems they'll have several first year starters.
Agreed and agree with a lot of @HighSeas initial post. This game has a lot of makings of a potential upset but several things:

1. I would be shocked if Jacorey Brooks doesn’t beat out Baker and Leary doesn’t beat out Bolden as a starter.
2. Chris Owens was a part time starter last year but would be surprised if one of Latham or Brockermeyer don’t win a starting tackle job at some point.
3. Brian Robinson isn’t close to Najee Harris but they have a lot of good backs returning and think Jawan is their best going into this season (pending on how good Camar Wheaton will be).

Offense overall: If there was ever one game to rely on TS, Bolden, etc. and to force their new qb to throw this would be it. Young was a star coming out but he is very very raw. Can't let him get into a rhythm with an initial running game and short passes. Let's see what he can actually do and trust Couch, etc. more. Also I agree there is an experience drop-off for them, but not in overall talent. They have a ton of inexperienced, raw talent.

-Defensively they are going to be nasty. If I could do an actual prediction this will be their first borderline great defense in a while. They've played lots of underclassmen the last few years and now it will show on the field those benefits: DJ Dale, Tim Smith, Christian Harris, Will Anderson, Dupree, Battle, etc.

Lashlee and Justice need an actual plan for Will Anderson or he will kill King. We can't be afraid to be aggressive and make plays. Being too conservative will have us barely crossing midfield most of the game.

Advertisement
Jobe was actually a Mike Shula Baga recruit.
i'm old jamie lee curtis GIF

Agreed and agree with a lot of @HighSeas initial post. This game has a lot of makings of a potential upset but several things:

1. I would be shocked if Jacorey Brooks doesn’t beat out Baker and Leary doesn’t beat out Bolden as a starter.
2. Chris Owens was a part time starter last year but would be surprised if one of Latham or Brockermeyer don’t win a starting tackle job at some point.
3. Brian Robinson isn’t close to Najee Harris but they have a lot of good backs returning and think Jawan is their best going into this season (pending on how good Camar Wheaton will be).

Offense overall: If there was ever one game to rely on TS, Bolden, etc. and to force their new qb to throw this would be it. Young was a star coming out but he is very very raw. Can't let him get into a rhythm with an initial running game and short passes. Let's see what he can actually do and trust Couch, etc. more. Also I agree there is an experience drop-off for them, but not in overall talent. They have a ton of inexperienced, raw talent.

-Defensively they are going to be nasty. If I could do an actual prediction this will be their first borderline great defense in a while. They've played lots of underclassmen the last few years and now it will show on the field those benefits: DJ Dale, Tim Smith, Christian Harris, Will Anderson, Dupree, Battle, etc.

Lashlee and Justice need an actual plan for Will Anderson or he will kill King. We can't be afraid to be aggressive and make plays. Being too conservative will have us barely crossing midfield most of the game.
Leary is actually getting alot of buzz coming out of winter workouts....... You may be right on that one.

Advertisement
I've seen a lot of hype for Agiye Hall @RemainMack I could see him starting opposite Metchie. He reminds me of Tamorrion Terry - tall, fast X with lousy catch technique.

I'd be surprised if Brooks beat out a veteran to start right away. He doesn't have the athleticism to ease the transition the same way Cooper, Jeudy, Waddle, etc did. Long SEC corners will be a problem for him.

If ever there is a time to catch a team slipping it's week 1 as well know. Couple in the fact they are breaking in new starters all over the field and at several critical positions and also will be implementing a new OC and you have to think we have a shot. With all of the experience we've got coming back I am significantly more optimistic than I would be in almost any other year lol

Advertisement
Back