Running info on Bama.

Advertisement
If ever there is a time to catch a team slipping it's week 1 as well know. Couple in the fact they are breaking in new starters all over the field and at several critical positions and also will be implementing a new OC and you have to think we have a shot. With all of the experience we've got coming back I am significantly more optimistic than I would be in almost any other year lol
I posted something very similar. But, the problem with a team like Bama is that even if the passing game struggles, with their running game and size on the lines, they likely will be able to wear us out and pull away. The only way I could see us prevailing is if we get a couple cheap scores and force them to alter their game plan or rely more heavily on the passing game than they might otherwise want to with a lot of first year starters. But, ****, Young was a 5 star so even that plan may not function.

Yeah if you see any good articles about this let me know. On the surface this transition makes very little sense.

Sark - extremely adaptable OC who's all about making things simple and letting his players shine. Doesn't adjust to opponent even when his players ask him to because he doesn't want them thinking. Offense is fused together and playcalls are driven by defensive schemes. Cover 2? Run the ball. Single high zone? RPOs. Single high man? Deep crossers that look like RPOs initially. Get the ball to your playmakers in space.

BOB - massive playbook, tons of sight and coverage adjustments for QBs and WRs, tons of formations, route concepts that challenge WRs to win without scheme help.

Bama is a well-oiled machine that's seemingly too big to fail but if BOB does anything except carry the torch that Sark passed this could be a disaster. Tons of new starters and likely talent downgrades on that offense too at a lot of key positions.
this is good info. the thing is that none of it matters if they can just line up and run the ball down our throats. nobody can run the ball on bama and i don't expect us to, and for that reason i don't expect us to be able to score many points. but if our front 7 can actually show up vs their OL (also a long shot) then i could see it being close for 2 or maybe 3 quarters

Alabama lost a lot of production on both sides of the ball. I'm sure the guys that move into those vacated positions will be equally as talented. The thing they'll have less of is experience. They may still be the best team in college football, but this is Miami's best case scenario of breaking in a new QB with not much experience in a brand new offense. Hopefully it takes them 2-3 quarters or more to get on track.

On one hand you have perhaps the best team in college football with less experienced personnel going against a less talented more mature and experienced team. It's going to be interesting how it plays out. I just hope it's a competive game.
Do you think we should put D'Eriq King out there? I've always sort of felt like we make sure King is 120% before sending him out there, ESPECIALLY when its an Alabama team you're facing. Possibility of a 14 game season if we make the ACC title game, we are major underdogs vs Bama so it is what is is, but vs App St/Mich St/we can win those 2 games with TVD/Matocha/Garcia at the QB spot. Then in Game 4 vs the FCS opponent we ease King in there for about 2-3 quarters, see how he responds to live game reps, and if all is well, we unleash him vs UVA the next week in the ACC opener.

My point: I don't think it's a good idea AT ALL to have your star QB coming off a major ACL injury to have his first live game reps post injury vs a supercharged, NCAA Football "create a player" cheat code of a frickin team that could probably win 8 or 9 games in the NFL. If King goes down I think our seasons trajectory changes significantly, although I do think we could win some games. Much better season for us, likely 10 or 11 wins if we get out the Bama game injury free.

Advertisement
Do you think we should put D'Eriq King out there? I've always sort of felt like we make sure King is 120% before sending him out there, ESPECIALLY when its an Alabama team you're facing. Possibility of a 14 game season if we make the ACC title game, we are major underdogs vs Bama so it is what is is, but vs App St/Mich St/we can win those 2 games with TVD/Matocha/Garcia at the QB spot. Then in Game 4 vs the FCS opponent we ease King in there for about 2-3 quarters, see how he responds to live game reps, and if all is well, we unleash him vs UVA the next week in the ACC opener.

My point: I don't think it's a good idea AT ALL to have your star QB coming off a major ACL injury to have his first live game reps post injury vs a supercharged, NCAA Football "create a player" cheat code of a frickin team that could probably win 8 or 9 games in the NFL. If King goes down I think our seasons trajectory changes significantly, although I do think we could win some games. Much better season for us, likely 10 or 11 wins if we get out the Bama game injury free.

You play to win the game.

Play him if he's healthy. Just don't call running plays for him. We saw it in the bowl game. The offense actually moved better when Pery was in the game because the designed QB runs were eliminated from the play calling. I think they had too many designed runs for King last year that most defenses were prepared for and disrupted drives. He's better running when things break down.

Advertisement
Updates on Injured players for their Spring:

Following the first day of spring practice, Alabama coach Nick Saban revealed that several players aren’t expected to participate much over the next month because of previous injuries.

“Malachi Moore, Phil Mathis, John Metchie, Pierce Quick and Emil (Ekiyor), they’re not really expected to participate a whole lot in spring practice from previous injuries that they had, things that needed to be fixed probably from the season,” Saban told reporters Wednesday. “In some cases, the guys couldn’t finish the season, so we want to focus on getting these guys well.

“A lot of these guys have played a lot of good football around here, and they really don’t have anything to prove here in the spring, so better for us if we can give more reps to somebody else and let them develop.”

Ekiyor and Metchie are returning starters from last year’s offense, while Mathis and Moore both played first-team minutes during the Crimson Tide’s championship-winning 2020-21 season.

In addition to announcing which players are expected to miss the spring, Saban also provided a positive update regarding a couple of guys that dealt with injuries a year ago, including the latest on running back Trey Sanders, who injured his hip during a car accident while home in Florida in early November and was only able to play in six games as a redshirt freshman.

“Trey Sanders is actually doing some work” Saban said. “He does some individual work. He’s making really good progress. He can dry-land run now. He’s not 100 percent but he’s getting there, and we’re very happy with the progress. He’s had a tough road to hoe and he’s had a great attitude about it and he’s worked hard. We’re really pleased.”

Saban also said that linebacker Shane Lee is back to full health. When asked whether Christian Harris will play the Will or Mike position this spring, the head coach said the junior will play both while also stating that Lee and Jaylen Moody can also man the middle of the defense. After starting every game as a freshman in 2019, Lee only played in five games last season.

“Shane Lee played a whole year here of Mike,” Saban said. “He’s healthy now. He was not healthy last year coming off that sports hernia thing. He struggled all year long, so he’s done a lot better.”

Alabama will not practice again this weekend but will return to the field Monday, March 22.

Why not wait till he’s 125% or even 175%. Surely just not 100% though.

Advertisement

I'm hoping TVD plays so well in the spring and fall they can keep King back to get 100% well for a few games and not feel undermanned.

If King were healthy, I would likely be fairly confident that we can win. TVD making his first start against Bama on the other hand, maybe not so much.

Yes, Im of the opinion that King will not be ready for week one.

Advertisement
I cannot imagine playing BAMA without King just can’t.
If King can’t make it , I’m not sur we have a Jim Kelly type QB that can go into a Penn State on the road game as as rookie and win , a Hall of Famer was born that day .

King if ready would need to carry the team and play flawlessly on his shoulders if we are Blessed for him to play and we win King would be a top Heisman candidate..

All very possible 🙌

GOCANES

this is good info. the thing is that none of it matters if they can just line up and run the ball down our throats. nobody can run the ball on bama and i don't expect us to, and for that reason i don't expect us to be able to score many points. but if our front 7 can actually show up vs their OL (also a long shot) then i could see it being close for 2 or maybe 3 quarters
Brian Robinson is a very ordinary talent so if he's getting the bulk of the carries it won't be a UNC situation. It also helps that they have a more traditional run game with a lot of inside zone and DUO so the LBs won't have their eyes in conflict as much. Even with Najee Harris Bama wasn't a big-play run game but they could grind out yards if you let them, and they were effective in short-yardage and red zone.

I think you have to challenge their new-look passing game by playing more single-high man coverage with 8 closer to the line of scrimmage. You kinda have to be the guinea pig that makes them prove their new QB, WRs and OC has answers for that. It's not enough to play bend but don't break Diaz defense because I still expect them to be clinical in the red zone and I don't trust Miami's offense to keep pace if it's very high-scoring.

Also lol King is on pace to be ready well before week 1...smh.

If ever there is a time to catch a team slipping it's week 1 as well know. Couple in the fact they are breaking in new starters all over the field and at several critical positions and also will be implementing a new OC and you have to think we have a shot. With all of the experience we've got coming back I am significantly more optimistic than I would be in almost any other year lol

Has Saban ever lost a week one game in his career at Bama?

He has 20 nerds breaking down Kings mannerisms as we speak

Has Saban ever lost a week one game in his career at Bama?

He has 20 nerds breaking down Kings mannerisms as we speak
Very interesting post , shows good insight Saban knows this game has every possible intangible and Scenario going his way .
Deep inside there’s a uncomfortable little empty feeling ever so small saying what can happen IF we miss something and he can’t figure it out.

So Sabans over preparation and overwhelming clog of WHAT IF and BAMA slows down by THINKING to an analyzing clog.

BAMA is supposed to have there way but WHAT IF THEY GET SNACKED AND CUT and sees there own blood by a NOBODY that does have surprised TALENT and NOT PHASED .

OVER THINKING SLIWS YOUR GAME.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back