"Run it back"

I'm happy our seniors came back. Age is important. They're all good program guys with physical and mental maturity. The '21 team got better.

But now that it's done, we need to retire the #RunItBack slogan. We don't want to run back the team that finished 22nd. The standards are higher. It's finally time for true competition.

This is an unprecedented offseason. COVID kept our seniors back. We didn't have juniors leave prematurely. We added three starter-quality transfers (and counting). The freshman class is loaded and will have a normal summer. Add it all up, and this is the deepest Miami team in years. There is no excuse to play guys who aren't preparing or performing like Miami players.

Manny was too loose with his standards in '19. He was desperate for talent and didn't hold guys accountable. 2020 felt like a rehab project. This year, he needs to be ruthless, even if it means a senior losing his job or a talented player getting disciplined. There should be no compromising the Miami standard.
Can I get an Amen?

Advertisement
AD433E35-3549-4A2A-8631-F19E7BF4CD4C.jpeg

1610860589643.gif

I'm happy our seniors came back. Age is important. They're all good program guys with physical and mental maturity. The '21 team got better.

But now that it's done, we need to retire the #RunItBack slogan. We don't want to run back the team that finished 22nd. The standards are higher. It's finally time for true competition.

This is an unprecedented offseason. COVID kept our seniors back. We didn't have juniors leave prematurely. We added three starter-quality transfers (and counting). The freshman class is loaded and will have a normal summer. Add it all up, and this is the deepest Miami team in years. There is no excuse to play guys who aren't preparing or performing like Miami players.

Manny was too loose with his standards in '19. He was desperate for talent and didn't hold guys accountable. 2020 felt like a rehab project. This year, he needs to be ruthless, even if it means a senior losing his job or a talented player getting disciplined. There should be no compromising the Miami standard.
Not going to lie bro, all I could read was (and counting). 🤤

Competition for competition’s sake is overrated; and the slogan is appropriate, y’all are just making a big deal over nothing.

They have to coach the little things; just doing what they’ve been doing — but with more effort — yields more players who seem stuck in neutral despite their will to play hard. And these kids do play hard.

Miami has (hopefully, it’s HAD) a coaching problem MORE than a competition problem.

Advertisement
D Money I feel you but slogans don't matter that much anyway. I think the players are just saying run it back as a slick way of saying they want another shot at this thing and believe they can come back and really make a run for the ACC and/or the playoffs.

But you lost me with "Miami standard." There was one 20 years ago but the truth is there is really no such thing well at least on a positive level. If we are honest we really don't know Manny's standard. But we do know this; and that is good football teams are built on solid foundations. We have some of one of the pillars which is talent (not Bama or OSU, or Clemson) talent but talent nevertheless.

But the other pillars that cause just about all of us to just lose it sometimes are missing. They are 1) discipline 2) the ability to execute the fundamentals (blocking, tackling, catching etc) 3) a solid understanding of the game of football 4) preparation both pre season and game to game preparation. (even when there is extra weeks for prep our teams have come out just not ready for what the other team throws at them,).

And all of or some of these have gone missing with our team the last 15 years at least. Manny's teams have lacked all four. I want Manny to succeed **** I been a Cane fan for over 50 years (so I have seen some terrible teams) and I hope the team succeeds next year. But the truth is we have no real indication that Manny has or will improve in those areas and if he and the team does not there is little chance they will win more than 8 games. So I like you and everybody else on some level are hoping against hope. Miami standard? The standard Manny has implemented promises we will have to just keep crossing our fingers. Let's go 11-1 here we come.

Advertisement
Manny is coaching now to save his coaching career. Dude will do whatever it takes now knowing that he is surely on a 1 year deal. Wouldn't surprise me to see some accountability being upheld now.

Advertisement
Agreed @DMoney accountability is hugely important. The real leverage coaches have is playing time, and we have to make sure that players who have earned playing time by consistently out performing their teammates get that playing time. But that accountability also applies to the coaches. To me, that's where it has really been lacking. There must be measurable standards that they are all held to that if met will help us take the next step, and they shouldn't have to wait until the end of the year to know if they are meeting that standard. It should be charted so they know how they are performing, and, most importantly, there must be real consequences for consistently not meeting the standard.

Advertisement
I'm not mad about the slogan. It's January, let the players get hyped. It's really more about the coaches. They need to shift gears and convey the message that it's time for competition.

And that doesn't necessarily mean starting all the young players. Every coach in America loves experience. I'm just saying we need to make clear that every spot outside King is truly up for grabs.
Can't have everybody but King, put his up too! It's not like he was great every game either.

I think Dmoney hit the nail on the head, this has created the depth we have lacked for the last 10-15 years with our Juniors leaving early. This should build competition and makes guys better. For example look at our RB room, we will have a loaded depth chart and if the upper classmen want to keep their job they need to bring it everyday, same with most other position WR, OL, QB, even the CB position will be much improved. Things look positive.

Advertisement
Back