Rumph

Advertisement
Rumph is a below average recruiter & an average at best Coach.

He's not irreplaceable, people really only defend him so much because he played for the 00-01 Canes.

Truth be told, he was never really qualified to be a full time CB coach here, at most should've been an analyst.

Problem is we have Banda, Hartley, Jon Richt, Mike Rumph, Patke and Simpson now all who have zero or less than 2 years of coaching at a major D1 college and as an actual position coach (not counting Miami).

Rumph, Simpson, Patke, Jon Richt pretty much first real job.

We’ve set ourselves up to fail. Banda is a pit bull recruiting but not that good to where his lack of coaching doesn’t matter.

Patke- GTFOOH
Richt- GTFOOH

What kills me is with this young or inexperienced staff instead of being a CEO and teaching them Richt wants to call plays and this is taking away from teaching he really needs to do with his inexperienced staff

The D is fine. Not perfect, but fine. If we had an O that could score a mere 21-28 pts a game (against p5 teams) we'd be 9-1 and no one would be talking about this.

Advertisement
He’s not our problem. We are statistically one of the best pass defenses in the country.

The issues are on the other side.

Exactly. And that type of poor awareness happens all the time in defensing the option. It is beyond predictable. The defensive back is keying something else and then gets lost. As soon as that ball went up in the air against Bandy I knew it was a touchdown.

The idiot announcer was raving about Georgia Tech 9th in the nation in yards per pass attempt. That is actually miserable by their standards. They have been in the top 3 or 4 several times in Johnson's tenure. Option teams dominate that category all the time. Army is 3rd and Air Force is 4th.

Now for the all time scary stat...Alabama is averaging 11.5 yards per pass attempt. Normally they are in the 7.5 to 8.5 range, although McCarron had a couple of seasons slightly above 9.

Combined with a pass defense that is ordinary by their standards but still very acceptable at 5.8 yards per attempt allowed, Alabama now owns a YPPA Differential of +5.7.

That is like a different dimension. It means every time they throw the ball once and you throw the ball once, they gain almost 6 yards in the exchange. Oklahoma last season managed 11.7 yards per attempt but they gave away 7.5. That is an entirely different realm of vulnerability, and it showed against Georgia.

I hope we aren't kidding ourselves that this Alabama team won't move to the top of the all time lists, if it goes through without being seriously challenged. That should become a prime rooting interest...to protect the 2001 Canes just like protecting the 1972 Dolphins as the final unbeaten falls.

I don't see what the problem is with canning Rumph. His recruiting ties have gotten virtually 0 recruits, and our CB's have regressed this season. In fact, the only reason I believe our CB's had success in 2017 was due to our front 4 generating so much pressure.

I don't see what the problem is with canning Rumph. His recruiting ties have gotten virtually 0 recruits, and our CB's have regressed this season. In fact, the only reason I believe our CB's had success in 2017 was due to our front 4 generating so much pressure.
Why is that whenever the other coaches not named Rumph misses out on a recruit yall swear up and down its because of the BAGMAN, but when it comes to Rumph there ain't no excuses and he's just a lousy recruiter right? Banda didn't get out recruited by bama for Jobe, he got outbidded right? But it's foolish to think that both UGA and Bama would be willing to pay top dollar for the 2 best CB'S in the country in Tyson Campbell and Pat Surtain right? Just asking...

Advertisement
Bandy should have picked that ball but oh well. Probably wouldn’t have won anyway.

I’d love to see this defense with a competent offense/ST to compliment it instead of consistently putting them in horrible situations.

I like Bandy but he was exposed on that TD play. MJ is overrated. Dean has not progressed.

Bottomline: Rumph is suspect as ****. He can't coach or recruit.
Safety play(Jaquan Johnson in particular) was worse for majority of the game than both bandy and Michael jackson honestly... yeah they got beat on throws 2 plays but Jaquan had a terrible game and took bad angles that burned the defense and didn’t cover well when ga tech threw the ball as he had a responsibility that he didn’t cover multiple times including on a td throw against bandy

Advertisement
Safety play(Jaquan Johnson in particular) was worse for majority of the game than both bandy and Michael jackson honestly... yeah they got beat on throws 2 plays but Jaquan had a terrible game and took bad angles that burned the defense and didn’t cover well when ga tech threw the ball as he had a responsibility that he didn’t cover multiple times including on a td throw against bandy

Even though it was blown coverage by JJ, Bandy made a terrible adjustment to the ball. How do you find the man and end up behind him in the endzone? Like I said, he's my favorite CB on the team but he made a bad play worse there.

Look at who we played! It is easy to have a top pass defense in the country when you play against FIU, SS, Toledo, Duke, BC, UVA, GT, and LSU. It also helps that we have a great DL that puts pressure on the QB. Rumph got by at the U because he was very talented and had one of the best DLs in history to pressure the QB. Once he got the league his flaws became apparent and he was not technically sound. This is not the type of person you want coaching DBs. plus the guy is one of the worst recruiters the U has ever seen.

Exactly. The stats are more than misleading. I'm no Manny hater but just wait until the season is over and everyone actually reflects on the real quality (or lack thereof) of our schedule. This D is going to reveal itself as having been "good" and nothing more. Certainly not "championship level" and probably on its absolute best day it MIGHT have kept us just under a double-digit loser to Clemson if our offense had played at a similar level.

Even though it was blown coverage by JJ, Bandy made a terrible adjustment to the ball. How do you find the man and end up behind him in the endzone? Like I said, he's my favorite CB on the team but he made a bad play worse there.
He definitely did misplay that and I mentioned It in the game day thread. Should have been an int

Advertisement

Listen I’m totally convinced based off resume that Manny Diaz and his system are what makes the D really good. Patke, Banda, Rumph and Simpson have pretty much zero big time experience

Most of our coaching staff is still very green and maybe that’s one of the problems also

He wasn't supposed to cover that deep route. His responsibility was the option. Bandy blew that coverage. We should never fear GT passing downfield which is why we had man coverage. You always try to make **** seem like it ain't Rumph fault. Redwine and JJ have played at all ACC level. JJ had two plays where he had bad angles. That's it

Problem is we have Banda, Hartley, Jon Richt, Mike Rumph, Patke and Simpson now all who have zero or less than 2 years of coaching at a major D1 college and as an actual position coach (not counting Miami).

Rumph, Simpson, Patke, Jon Richt pretty much first real job.

We’ve set ourselves up to fail. Banda is a pit bull recruiting but not that good to where his lack of coaching doesn’t matter.

Patke- GTFOOH
Richt- GTFOOH

What kills me is with this young or inexperienced staff instead of being a CEO and teaching them Richt wants to call plays and this is taking away from teaching he really needs to do with his inexperienced staff

Who has Banda landed that makes you think he is a pitbull? We've missed on a lot of safeties in the past 3 years.

Advertisement
Back