Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

Being "cut-throat" is a dangerous game. It puts you on edge of doing things you probably shouldn't do - and it's how programs get into trouble.

UF is just a better program than we are right now, and we will lose kids to them until we at least show up in a championship game, like they have done the last two years. There are no program-changing players at our level, so we shouldn't cry if we lose one.

Advertisement
The answer is simple. "If you build it, they will come!".

Now I know it sounds cheesy,..but there is a certain amount of truth there. Another year of heading upward,.. And it will be easier to convince kids that '16 wasn't a fluke. By that time, these kids can tell their lower classmates from school that were moving to better days.....which will make all of their jobs recruiting easier.

Its just gonna take a minute..and a ton of work!

No

That LSU game in 2018 is the most important regular season game in Miami history. It's on the BIGGEST stage vs a major SEC school. Win that game & things will change around here. I think it's really that important. Our defense should be absolutely ridiculous. Just hafta find our triggerman this season.

The answer is simple. "If you build it, they will come!".

Now I know it sounds cheesy,..but there is a certain amount of truth there. Another year of heading upward,.. And it will be easier to convince kids that '16 wasn't a fluke. By that time, these kids can tell their lower classmates from school that were moving to better days.....which will make all of their jobs recruiting easier.

Its just gonna take a minute..and a ton of work!

No

You don't think us winning...say..10-11 games..and the coastal (at least).. Isn't going to begin to change the perception of what's happening here? In not saying that will fix it all...but sure as **** make things easier to sell

Rumph won't get or deserve much credit for landing absolute layups with UM ties like Blades and Frierson. But if he actually lands the one stud from Heritage that he has no business losing (Tyson Campbell) and can help keep Jobe/Ivey in the class, then he'll go from being criticized to heavily praised very quickly.

Have no confidence that he'll actually win a contested battle for a player the caliber of Campbell, but it's what he needs to do.

No people wont. Everyone was B*tching about how he can't pull Heritage gusy. Then We got a Heritage guy this year in Herbert. And people gave him credit for about a minute. Then immediately forgot about it. Go look at any of the 10 threads talking about DB recruiting and not a single person talks about how he got a Heritage guy. And Herbert is also more important than Henderson and Edwards.

If Rumph gets 3-5 top CBs this year, everyone will give all the credit to Banda, Diaz, and Richt.
What I don't get is howcome no one criticized Banda for not getting Edwards. Everything points to Banda being the main recruiter of Edwards, and the coach with the best relationship with Edwards. So If Banda clearly isn't as good as Rumph at teaching technique, then why is he not being talked about while Rumph is about his recruiting?

Personally I'm more dissatisfied with Banda than I am Rumph. But I think we pull 7-8 top DBs this next class and they will get praise for a full 5mins before everyone starts B*thching again and calling for Rumphs head.

fact is it seems to me lot of you guys like Banda's recruiting because of what he posts on Twitter. Nothing more.

he didnt pull Herbert. Richt personally did. He stated it in his interview. And we kinda slid in by default on Herbert as he was essentially pushed out at Michigan

Advertisement
Who really did the better job?
What position group played the best out of these 3 this year? Cb.. then running back and then safety
Rumph
4star Bandy
4star Dean (Banda helped too)
Helped get Herbert too
Had cj Henderson(told uf and Miami coaches he was coming to Miami within the last week)

Banda
4star/3star on most sites) Carter
Smith
Lost Edwards(silently committed last week)
Brown
3star Robert burns
Had 4star committed until maryland guilted him into staying home.

Yet y'all idolize Banda recruiting ability.. look everyone needs to improve but just attacking rumph and brown is ridiculous.

One of the rare times I agree with you. The Rumph bashing is premature. First full year of recruiting and he had to deal with the most wishy washy recruits ever. It's just like judging a rookie and or freshmen after one season. Lets give him some time to see what he can do. And I think we can all agree he did a good job coaching the DBs last year, hopefully it continues.

“If the guys stay healthy, we will be fine,” running backs coach Thomas Brown said. “But that’s a position that takes a lot of pounding, and we will look for some graduate transfers and even some high school guys to help fill from a depth standpoint.”

Read more here: Mark Richt thinks Miami Hurricanes 'nailed' Natonal Signing Day | Miami Herald

I saw this quote from Brown today , what do you guys think he means when he said GAs and even high school guys ? He can't be talking about leftovers that didn't sign right ?

Preferred walk-ons?

Good interview.

Sounds like he wasn't aggressive enough at addressing Miami's weaknesses (or whatever the "it" was that made those fux choose UF).

I don't mind Rumph asking Hendo and Edwards what he could have done better. Step #1 is admitting there are things to improve upon. Step #2 is identifying those things. You have to ask to get an answer.

Also sounds like Richt should be more aggressively managing these dudes' recruiting strategies.

But I know nothing.

Yes because these kids are going to be honest and tell him why they chose not to play for him.

Like it takes a rocket scientist to figure out when a kid is talking out of his ***. It doesn't hurt and there's something to be gained if they shed any insight into the perspective of a recruit during the chaos that is recruiting season.

IMO Rumph may not be a good recruiter but he's proven to coach em up (albeit the scheme definitely helps him a lot). That will help on gameday next season and may help during the next recruiting cycle. Too early to judge Rumph.

What I don't understand is how there is so much vitriol on this board for Rumph when Brown is proving to be a catastrophe. Occupying two spots on the staff when he shouldn't even have one, unable to recruit, zero recruits he's ever had committed to him in his CAREER that wasn't already committed to Golden and all around Jesus Freak weirdo. That's the guy that should be run out of town.

Last edited:
That LSU game in 2018 is the most important regular season game in Miami history. It's on the BIGGEST stage vs a major SEC school. Win that game & things will change around here. I think it's really that important. Our defense should be absolutely ridiculous. Just hafta find our triggerman this season.

This! People don't realize but when LSU beat us in 2005 that changed their program and they went on to win a national championship. If we can beat LSU it will get the wheels rolling and everyone will see that Miami is not a push over anymore. Big time game that can really change the outlook of the Miami football program.

Advertisement
Listening to Rump whine and complain about 17-18 year olds and their parents is distressing. These were 50/50 battles that he simply couldn't close. Rump came across lame and tired in his reasoning. He would have been better off taking the L quietly instead of whining, complaining and calling out players by name.

If he doesn't toughen up he'll be out of a job soon. My question for Rump is where was his contingency plan in the event he didn't close on either player. Both these kids decommitted from UM earlier in the process, instead of moving on Rump continued to recruit both and was eventually stood up at the alter. Why would the parent's need to talk to them if you yourself can't convince them?

Gotta be like Urban....Promise 'em a position with a poker face....first big practice let 'em go with the ones...when they get toasted a few times....tell 'em your not ready yet...Lol Seriously, the recruiting game is for shysters, con artist and slicksters....It's a business the only promise you haveta keep is developing them as players to great young men...The kids that don't pan out will appreciate you for ever!

Advertisement
Its funny how you fake *** corches / um fans swear y'all know what it takes to recruit and do Rumphs job better than him??? The level of delusion on this site is second to none, he aced his 1st year as a db coach which y'all wanted him to fail at, and like every other coach in the country missed on a couple of recuits, so what??

Rumph is the best man for the job, the best coaches adapt and adjust and that's all this article is basically saying. The more this program starts to garner national attention and respect again the easier it will be for every coach on this staff to recruit.

What you think Saban and Urban are out here acting like Pimp C finessing these recruits with their gift of gab every year??? Lol Smh clowns

NO its clock work bc the program sells itself, its funny watching how yall claim to be vets use to this but every year it's the same panic rinse and repeat soft bs from the same poRsters.

Last edited:
Fake mfs man smh, bash one of our former canes so much yet I don't remember hearing this amount of bashing when Paul Williams was here... yeah he got kids at the end of the day but he didn't have to compete against kids from 4 kids being drafted 1st round at db at uf in the last 2 years. These kids eating that sh*t up right now... and he surely can't coach as good as rumph. Chill

What threads were you reading? Paul Williams was called ******* worthless. At least we know Rumph can coach. We're just saying he can't recruit for ****.

Fake mfs man smh, bash one of our former canes so much yet I don't remember hearing this amount of bashing when Paul Williams was here... yeah he got kids at the end of the day but he didn't have to compete against kids from 4 kids being drafted 1st round at db at uf in the last 2 years. These kids eating that sh*t up right now... and he surely can't coach as good as rumph. Chill

What threads were you reading? Paul Williams was called ****ing worthless. At least we know Rumph can coach. We're just saying he can't recruit for ****.

Nah clown you all were **** riding every coach All Golden had on staff until about maybe year 3 lol

You all were demanding Rumph be fired before the season started, this board has been out to get him since day 1. He just shut y'all fake *** mfkers up bc he can coach and then y'all started dissecting his recruiting wanting him fired bc there wasn't anything else u can say about his coaching....

the fact that he came from a high school is why you all have been on his dck all season mad bc in your delusional *** minds we need to have some 10 year cb coaching vet in order to be legit lol hilarious

Advertisement
Rumph's a good corner coach. But as a position coach, you need to be able to land some kids. Yeah, we all know that CJ and Edwards flaked out. At the end of the day, Rumph allowed some other school to poach two targets at a position of need. It's a learning experience and not every coach is going to hit the ground running in regards to recruiting. Rumph doesn't have the resume that Kool has who can go into any recruits living room and throw a notebook at kids have bonafide studs he put in the league.

Rumph's not going to get credit for Bandy, that kid wanted to be a Cane. I'm not sure about the Dean rumor, I'd have to hear that from Pete. I don't think Rumph gives off a sheisty vibe like Paul Williams. But dude's described as too laid back. He just probably comes across as boring. But that's the problem. He needs to be able to sell a program that has been mediocre by its standards since 2005. As has been mentioned in this thread before. Canes fans have a magnifying glass on Rumph this coming cycle. Blades and Frierson aren't going to count given family ties. I doubt Blades commits anywhere but Miami, but if he did it'd be one of the most nuclear threads in CiS history. He needs to essentially land Tyson Campbell at this juncture and put his stamp on this cycle.

Brown has his warts, but his failures haven't been as magnified on the crooting trail like Rumph's as McFarland's issue was clearly shady. But if he doesn't land two of Curry/Lingard/Davis I can see this board going nuclear.

What threads were you reading? Paul Williams was called ****ing worthless. At least we know Rumph can coach. We're just saying he can't recruit for ****.

Nah clown you all were **** riding every coach All Golden had on staff until about maybe year 3 lol

You all were demanding Rumph be fired before the season started, this board has been out to get him since day 1. He just shut y'all fake *** mfkers up bc he can coach and then y'all started dissecting his recruiting wanting him fired bc there wasn't anything else u can say about his coaching....

the fact that he came from a high school is why you all have been on his dck all season mad bc in your delusional *** minds we need to have some 10 year cb coaching vet in order to be legit lol hilarious

Clown? I didn't **** ride any coach under the Golden regime. Only ones that received any praise from me were Scott, Jedd Fisch, Hurlie Brown, and Kevin Beard.

I also never called for Rumph to be fired. I said to give him a shot to see what he has; which he's shown he can coach up his unit. But as a position coach, you're supposed to be able to recruit. Unless you're a line/QB coach where you're coaching a critical position and can do it at an elite level, you need to be able to go on the trail and compete.

This is the money year for Rumph and Brown

Rumph: Seal the deal on Campbell, keep Jobe and pull Surtain. If you can lock down the kid that calls you his dad, it's a start. Keeping the best corner in the country (IMO) away from Alabama in Jobe is the second step. Signing the highest ranked corner in the country proves that you can be a recruiter at this level. I'm not even counting Blades because if we don't sign him the program needs to be shut down.

Brown: Sign Davis. And then sign one of Lingard or Cook. The end. Get it done.

Mike Rumph is excited about the cornerbacks UM signed, Trajan Bandy and JUCO arrival Jhavonte Dean.

“I think we finished pretty well, we got two really good corners who love the University of Miami,” Rumph said. “They’re selfless corners, all about the team.”

He adds that “You can pay attention to the four stars and the rankings, but you can’t measure those kids’ hearts. Us being in South Florida and really listening and learning about these kids, it showed us they’re kids with big hearts that want to be successful here. We’re excited to have them.”

Asked about Bandy, Rumph said, “I think he’ll be able to play different positions whether it’s nickel or corner. He has a big passion for the game, a lot of the locker room is familiar with him because he’s been around a good amount. He’s going to fit us well.”

Of Dean, Rumph said, “he’s a mature corner, great athleticism. He’s going to fit in real good because he’s from here, the corners know him, and he’s a confident kid. It’ll make our room more mature and confident.”

Rumph also says Dean’s mentality “is like a throwback Sean Taylor, Frank Gore - just `coach, I don’t fear anyone, I just want to play ball, I just want to win.’ I said `Wow, you sound like the throwbacks I used to play with.’”

Of course, Brian Edwards and CJ Henderson are the ones that got away.

“It came down to two days before signing (day) and they don’t know what they want to do,” Rumph said. “It’s just confusing to me. I wish the parents were a little more involved. When you’re making a big decision, for him to have his first decision about the rest of his life, I wish the parents would be more involved., but it was just very tedious and nerve-racking, I can tell you that up until the phone call I got at 12 (a.m. from Dean committing).”

Rumph says he’s learned from the recruiting losses.

“I always tell the high school kids it’s a business, go with your hearts, (but) I really want kids to consider to come here and not flake out on us at the last minute,” he said. “We’ll learn from when we do lose. When they finally tell me `Okay, I want to go here, I’m not going to Miami (I asked) `What was it, what can we do better the next time?’ And now I have some idea of different ways we can pursue things.”

Rumph says that he’s “already had” those conversations with Edwards and Henderson.

“I just wish more people would talk to them about their decisions, think about it more,” Rumph said, adding that an emphasis will be “just more pressure to make sure you land the kids you were recruiting for the year.”

At the end of the day the two misses didn’t take the shine off UM’s signing day.

“I’m so happy - as of now we’re just happy, excited to get some quality kids,” Rumph said.

Thoughts??

Nice copy paste.... Hoe$ ain't loyal

Advertisement
Back