Rumph Learning from Mistakes?

I liked that interview a lot. Seems like Rumph is a smart dude and he's correct in a lot of what he says. Him recognizing that he could've done better and seeking feedback is a very positive thing too.

But it does seem like the recruiting world caught him a bit off guard. I can only imagine how ******* annoying recruiting must be for the normal person who doesn't get off on stalking 17 year old kids and telling them everything they want to hear. He may just be too pragmatic with his recruiting and instead what these kids feed on is snake oil salesmen.

Rumph needs a track record. We need to ball out next year so he can just let the facts do the talking for him.

Advertisement
Rumph won't get or deserve much credit for landing absolute layups with UM ties like Blades and Frierson. But if he actually lands the one stud from Heritage that he has no business losing (Tyson Campbell) and can help keep Jobe/Ivey in the class, then he'll go from being criticized to heavily praised very quickly.

Have no confidence that he'll actually win a contested battle for a player the caliber of Campbell, but it's what he needs to do.

No people wont. Everyone was B*tching about how he can't pull Heritage gusy. Then We got a Heritage guy this year in Herbert. And people gave him credit for about a minute. Then immediately forgot about it. Go look at any of the 10 threads talking about DB recruiting and not a single person talks about how he got a Heritage guy. And Herbert is also more important than Henderson and Edwards.

If Rumph gets 3-5 top CBs this year, everyone will give all the credit to Banda, Diaz, and Richt.
What I don't get is howcome no one criticized Banda for not getting Edwards. Everything points to Banda being the main recruiter of Edwards, and the coach with the best relationship with Edwards. So If Banda clearly isn't as good as Rumph at teaching technique, then why is he not being talked about while Rumph is about his recruiting?

Personally I'm more dissatisfied with Banda than I am Rumph. But I think we pull 7-8 top DBs this next class and they will get praise for a full 5mins before everyone starts B*thching again and calling for Rumphs head.

fact is it seems to me lot of you guys like Banda's recruiting because of what he posts on Twitter. Nothing more.

You're right that Banda isn't blameless either. They both deserve to be scrutinized and have a lot to prove with the 2018 class.

No staff member is going to get credit for landing Frierson or Blades because of their clear family ties to this program. Not Rumph, Richt, or anyone else. But the criticism of our DB recruiting would've eased up a bit had we not just gone 0-for-4 in head-to-head battles against UF. And it absolutely will die down if we actually win contested battles for premier targets like Campbell and Hall in '18.

But if it's more of the same and Rumph can't close on a player to whom he's been a "second father figure" like Campbell, then the bashing will only intensify. No one wants him to fail. But with the results he's gotten on the trail thus far, he needs to produce far better results.

Its just funny no one is blaming all this on Banda. And really this isn't that big of a deal. If these guys go anywhere else but UF or FSU, this doesnt matter at all. Typically teams have one db coach. We have two. Rumph is definitely more of a technical coach, and Banda is clearly more of the recruiter. So when Guys don't play well we should be more mad at Rumph, and when we don't recruit well we should be more mad at Banda.
And just because the fans on this site wont give anyone credit for Frierson or Blades doesn't mean they don't deserve at least a little credit. Its not like going to a different school than your parents is that crazy. And we don't have to look further than our recruiting class this year to see proof.

We had them kids in the bag and they flaked out. Can't fault him or the staff for that. Very candid interview. Rumph kept it 1000 about the situation. It is what it is

WTF are you talking about? Can't fault him? Jesus Christ you're a ******.

Mods?

This snitch calling for the mods after saying this in this same thread:

Fake mfs man smh

Meanwhile Bork has reported me more than anyone else.

I'm not that vested to click report on here man

Supposedly he almost lost Dean as well. Richt is quoted as saying Dean told them he was choosing ASU Tuesday night but then changed his mind on NSD. What the **** is Rumph saying to these kids? Dean should have been a slam dunk.

WOW!!!!! I had no fcking idea we almost lost Dean to fcking Arizona State. That's absolute insanity right there.

If he's nearly losing a Miami kid, who calls himself Florida Boy to a moribund nothing program like ASU, then what makes people think he's going to lock down all these 2018 kids with offers from top 5 programs? We better hope to **** that they just want to stay home.

The fact that Mr. Hurricane, Al Blades's, son isn't even a commit yet should scare the **** out of UM fans.

Don't forget the power move guy is deans cousin as well
Exactly. Losing Dean to ASU would have been a fail on multiple levels.

I personally think he believes he should not have played the games with these two. But with the lack of depth he felt at the time the drama was worth it. I believe next year his approach will be **** or get off the pot

Advertisement
As more south fl recruits come in,.. And become a part of this programs new direction,.. They can..and will sell us to these kids that they've been playing ball with for the last 10 yrs!! Once again guys,.. Were trying to rebuild something been broke for over a decade!! Every new coaching regime..we've been saying we coming back, and we just fizzle!! Now we finally have real coaches,.. Were starting to put up wins (need to beat FS who, and win a coastal title). This will happen guys,.. I know we all want it now,.. God knows we've waited long enough,.. But please, give it a chance. Its actually happening this time! I think this staff is actually legit!!

A lot of you are not going to like this but there's truth to the fact that under Richt and staff is not going to be any telling the kids what they want to hear even if it's a lie. I'm not being naive. Richt has strong Christian principles and the staff is on board. Sometimes it works(Michel, Herbert, Dallas) and sometimes it doesn't (Anytime you stretch the truth to get a kid). Edwards is puzzling to me. Henderson was like a close basketball game where whoever has the ball last wins. Hats off to the gators who were told it was over and two days later turned the kid. That's persistence Hope Rumpth and company learn to not accept a no the same way. Same with McFarland. Whole staff should have flown up there.

“If the guys stay healthy, we will be fine,” running backs coach Thomas Brown said. “But that’s a position that takes a lot of pounding, and we will look for some graduate transfers and even some high school guys to help fill from a depth standpoint.”

Read more here: Mark Richt thinks Miami Hurricanes 'nailed' Natonal Signing Day | Miami Herald

I saw this quote from Brown today , what do you guys think he means when he said GAs and even high school guys ? He can't be talking about leftovers that didn't sign right ?

I liked how he blamed their parents
It's true though... Rumph does deserve blame because it's his job to close & get the parents on his side, that's what recruiting is... The ability to sell sand to a beach, to convince parents that their best bet is with you no matter what.

However in this case, Parents seem to have raised young men who don't stick to their word & are selfish prima donnas...

Both of these kids told this staff multiple times that were going to commit & did so literally days before NSD, even though both had no intention of honoring their word.

My pops would never stand for no **** like that, he would never allow me to get away with being a bold faced liar like that... He would go upside my head & tell me to be straight with both staff recruiting me, "Pick one Son, and be honest with them.."

This whole ordeal would've been over with a long time ago if those kids just picked where they wanted to go & stop wasting our staff's time in trying to win them over, but these two were so damned attention starved that they played endless games with us for months.

We could've been spending time on other CB's rather than going all out for both of those two little ingrates who were simply bull****tin us the whole time.

The staff should've been smarter & recognized what these kids were doing, they needed to be more aggressive & force these kids to show their hand, we needed to call them on their bluff & we never did... Our poker players on staff ain't cut like that yet.

Hopefully, they learn from this situation & don't fall for the bull**** again in 2018... Because it's gonna happen again, guarantee it, we just better wise up & let these kids know off rip we ain't having that ****.

Great post, El! Right on the money.

Advertisement
If I'm Richt I wouldn't allow Rumph to be the lead recruiter on any high priority cb prospects just yet. Need to do a better job easing him into the recruiting game.

I commend him for being honest, but he sounds lost. Comes off as an honest dude who doesn't really get it.

We need a dog or two on this staff to close these deals. Brown is getting paid a ton of money pretty much solely to recruit because he's not calling plays, and all he does is post bible verses and got played by a fat chick with a bad weave.

Either we need to hire a dog, or we need to hire every leech down here to the support staff. What we're doing in South Florida isn't playing all that well. We're either pursuing shytheads, or we're not closing well enough on them.

That's some funny ****. Great post!

My thoughts are that he does not sound cut throat enough for the business of recruiting.

does mark richt seem cutthroat?

Not enough for my liking. A persona that is agreeable to the public doesn't impress me whatsoever when it comes to the head coach of a major div 1 football program with expectations of greatness. I want a guy who will do whatever it takes to win championships and I think Richts' personality and principles have created a ceiling that is short of that.

Hope I am wrong.

I've been saying this for months. Nice guys finish last, especially in this business.

My thoughts are that he does not sound cut throat enough for the business of recruiting.

does mark richt seem cutthroat?

Not enough for my liking. A persona that is agreeable to the public doesn't impress me whatsoever when it comes to the head coach of a major div 1 football program with expectations of greatness. I want a guy who will do whatever it takes to win championships and I think Richts' personality and principles have created a ceiling that is short of that.

Hope I am wrong.

I've been saying this for months. Nice guys finish last, especially in this business.

Especially when the nice guy looks and sounds like his sleep walking through life. Luckily Diaz has that dog in him and he passes that onto his defense. The value he brings by being on this staff cannot be overstated.

Advertisement
Admitting you have a problem is step #1. Acknowledging that in Sp Fla the parents might not be involved much, if at all is step #2. Selling yourself and the program is step #3.

He's a salesman now and has to learn how to sell it. I think he's a low key guy from what I can tell. Not sure his dry personality works in recruiting. On radio interviews he sounds like Ben Stein in those eyedrop commercials.

This.

Rump learned not to trust most especially those that care only about themselves. Those kids tend to be easily persuaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good interview.

Sounds like he wasn't aggressive enough at addressing Miami's weaknesses (or whatever the "it" was that made those fux choose UF).

I don't mind Rumph asking Hendo and Edwards what he could have done better. Step #1 is admitting there are things to improve upon. Step #2 is identifying those things. You have to ask to get an answer.

Also sounds like Richt should be more aggressively managing these dudes' recruiting strategies.

But I know nothing.

Advertisement
Exit interviews make sense when you're interviewing business professionals, or other professionals that are leaving.

Thinking you're actually going to get anything of value, from a couple of south Florida grifter divas that just played you, is naïve. Those kids are not going to give honest answers. Doesn't hurt to ask, but you're not getting anything that's valuable

Good interview.

Sounds like he wasn't aggressive enough at addressing Miami's weaknesses (or whatever the "it" was that made those fux choose UF).

I don't mind Rumph asking Hendo and Edwards what he could have done better. Step #1 is admitting there are things to improve upon. Step #2 is identifying those things. You have to ask to get an answer.

Also sounds like Richt should be more aggressively managing these dudes' recruiting strategies.

But I know nothing.

Yes because these kids are going to be honest and tell him why they chose not to play for him.

The answer is simple. "If you build it, they will come!".

Now I know it sounds cheesy,..but there is a certain amount of truth there. Another year of heading upward,.. And it will be easier to convince kids that '16 wasn't a fluke. By that time, these kids can tell their lower classmates from school that were moving to better days.....which will make all of their jobs recruiting easier.

Its just gonna take a minute..and a ton of work!

hes like randy imo. Good when a kid just loves your school..not big on changing minds. he will get cut up with the attitude in that article. He wish that more people would talk to the kids?...well HELLO...thats your job.

Advertisement
Back