Ruiz will try to buy Dolphins and Marlins.

Advertisement
Yup and now he treats my Red Sox like a small market team. I appreciate what he’s done with Fenway and the World Series rings, but I’m sick of this guy letting homegrown talent walk because he won’t pay them while making it almost impossible to afford to go to Fenway.
The Story, Bogaerts, Devers money love triangle should be fun to watch play out...

There's already support for a new OB next to Marlins Park. Shalala even suggested that as a location a few months ago, the city commission is trying to create options for us at Melreese and they own the 6 surrounding parking lots down there. If Ruiz wanted a stadium next to LDP it would have a lot of support right now.

I appreciate u

Pretty sure if you own an NFL team you cannot own an MLB/NBA/NHL team in the same market unless they have changed the rule. The NFL made an exception way back when after Katrina for the Bensons to buy the Pelicans to prevent them from leaving the city.

Edit - I got the rule backwards. That rule was in place until the mid 90s. In 2018 they allowed for NFL owners to buy other sports teams in different cities that have NFL teams. It is why Kroenke had the Denver teams in a corporation at the time.

Stan Kroenke says difference and so foes the Bensons

Advertisement
There's already support for a new OB next to Marlins Park. Shalala even suggested that as a location a few months ago, the city commission is trying to create options for us at Melreese and they own the 6 surrounding parking lots down there. If Ruiz wanted a stadium next to LDP it would have a lot of support right now.
I think what Ruiz is looking for an area where he can create an environment that’s more than just the stadium. Think of the modern tailgate. Think about the surroundings around the best stadiums in CFB. All of them are surrounded by local hotspots and bring revenue to these hot, local businesses as well as the game. Downtown Gables or even Tropical park allows him to do that if he buys the entire park and the plazas around it.

Can‘t do that at the old OB site. It’s surrounded by neighborhoods.

Stan Kroenke says difference and so foes the Bensons
If you read down, you would have seen that I corrected myself. However, it is interesting you mention Kroenke, as the rule that existed until 2018 is why he had to create Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which also owns ****nal. Appreciate the added background.

Money or no money, owning one sports franchise is a full-time job, most can't moonlight at it with a high likelihood of success. Trying it with two is an almost certain fail.

Advertisement
I think what Ruiz is looking for an area where he can create an environment that’s more than just the stadium. Think of the modern tailgate. Think about the surroundings around the best stadiums in CFB. All of them are surrounded by local hotspots and bring revenue to these hot, local businesses as well as the game. Downtown Gables or even Tropical park allows him to do that if he buys the entire park and the plazas around it.

Can‘t do that at the old OB site. It’s surrounded by neighborhoods.
I agree, however, 7th ave to the north, 12th ave to the east and Flaglar to the south all have eateries and "hotspot" gameday opportunities. You can also ride the gentrification of the community that will undoubtedly cater to new residents with trendy eateries that people on gamedays can utilize as well. Additionally, the 6 surrounding parking lots offer opportunities for tailgating and developing some of that "environment" you speak of.

We aren't a traditional college town and we shouldn't try to emulate one, but that doesn't mean we can't have a much cooler vibe of our own.

Advertisement
So would him owning an NFL franchise be an issue with NCAA compliance signing NIL deals with Miami?

Hope he purchases the Marlins, relocates their play to Dolphins stadium, tears down Marlins Park and builds UMs stadium in it's rightful place.
I was almost ready to get on board with this…but then I remembered that stupid dirt infield covering half the field at Joe Robbie…

Advertisement
If/when his company goes public and if/when he buys either team he would be one of the richest owners in sports history. The only owner that I can think of that had more money was Paul Allen. I'm sure there are a few others worth over $20 billion by now but can't think of any. Ross for comparison I think is worth around $8bilion and Micky Arison around $5 if I'm not mistaken. Ruiz is supposed to be worth over $20 billion.

Does he buy both? If he does, does he just keep the Canes in the current stadium? Wouldn’t that make more sense as an owner?

Does he buy both? If he does, does he just keep the Canes in the current stadium? Wouldn’t that make more sense as an owner?
No, the only thing that makes sense is for him to build Orange Bowl 2.0 for the Canes.

We’re spending his money. Let’s not cut corners here.

Advertisement
Back