Ruiz stadium update

Advertisement
Better yet, Ruiz buys the Marlins, flips the team to an owner in another state, and uses the profit to renovate the baseball stadium back to a football stadium.
I like this idea best of all...gets us back where we should never have left. I don't care whose fault it was, they are traitorous scum

I'm sure he'll want every event but he has recency bias of the Marlins an inter-Miami going against him. His fight with the county can't last that long or people will be disinterested. The timing of this and the quick execution is something nobody's talking about
Ohhh, the things I mentioned were just about what was going to be in the sales pitch but definitely not the key to actually getting this approved.

This is going to get in the weeds politically and keep in mind that I'm now a Broward resident and not as versed as I was in this stuff a while back but:

-One would think that any plans involving Tropical Park would start with getting the commissioner of the district it falls in on-board.

- That district is District 10 and represented by Javier Souto. He's actually a Miami grad but is being term-limited out of the seat and will be replaced this November.

- The guy that almost certainly will replace him is Anthony Rodriguez- a current member of the Florida House that I believe is just a high school graduate (Sunset) and he's relatively young (early 30s)

- Rodriguez is a real estate guy and heavily touted his endorsement from the very power Latin Builders Association. The same Latin Builders Association that has given the Mas Family a lifetime achievement award.

- I expect Rodriguez endorsing the plan sometime in 2023 to be the first political domino (of many needed) to fall in our favor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why does it have to go in an existing park or school? Why can’t they buy up industrial zoned land? There seems to always be land for industrial parks. Put lots together, think like a developer. All land doesn’t have to be so obvious, and owned by one entity and currently vacant. There’s enough ****** areas down there to be reimagined. Bulldoze anything in Kendall.

Advertisement
Marlins aren’t leaving Miami. Ever. People need to let it go.
agreed. once that stadium was built, it was done. I like the marlins so I dont want them to leave, but people also have to get that the county was never going to pay to upkeep the OB at the end. it was a BS deal they gave the school so they can tear it down and give the land to the marlins. the OB was trash att he end too and it would never work for the modern crowd in todays environment. you need real amenities otherwise people will stay home and watch games.

What is the actual probability that this project is actually approved by the County and built? Is it even 10%? Is it really anything more than a discussion / debate topic to kill time until the season begins?
for now? discussion/debate.

Id say overall maybe 30-40% at best. like someone said, if it were easy, it would have been done. DS tried to do a TS stadium years ago and the county and FIU rejected it (she wanted a joint home so that way it has a likely chance of passing through) and FIU wanted their own on campus trash.

I dont think there is a debate if its feasible. a brand new permanent home is only a positive if its done right. for me, personally, I can't see it happening until we get some public opinion and political ones from the **** show republic on whether the land should be granted to Ruiz and his people to build it. some obvious blowback will be traffic concerns from residents, construction that will envelope the area for years, and the taking away from one of the county's most popular public parks for years while construction finishes. some of those residents dont give a flying **** about a stadium. they care more about the parks (my family would get together every thanksgiving at tropical to do a outdoor BBQ type thing and we see a ton of families use the park for birthdays, events, etc.). the new area once done will be nice but you gotta convince the residents and county of that first.

the final biggest issue is fandom aside, I think a lot of residents are tired of another stadium build. inter had a ton of blowback from their proposed site of melreese esp the part of the no bid lease that was granted. this would likely be a similar situation.

for now? discussion/debate.

Id say overall maybe 30-40% at best. like someone said, if it were easy, it would have been done. DS tried to do a TS stadium years ago and the county and FIU rejected it (she wanted a joint home so that way it has a likely chance of passing through) and FIU wanted their own on campus trash.

I dont think there is a debate if its feasible. a brand new permanent home is only a positive if its done right. for me, personally, I can't see it happening until we get some public opinion and political ones from the **** show republic on whether the land should be granted to Ruiz and his people to build it. some obvious blowback will be traffic concerns from residents, construction that will envelope the area for years, and the taking away from one of the county's most popular public parks for years while construction finishes. some of those residents dont give a flying **** about a stadium. they care more about the parks (my family would get together every thanksgiving at tropical to do a outdoor BBQ type thing and we see a ton of families use the park for birthdays, events, etc.). the new area once done will be nice but you gotta convince the residents and county of that first.

the final biggest issue is fandom aside, I think a lot of residents are tired of another stadium build. inter had a ton of blowback from their proposed site of melreese esp the part of the no bid lease that was granted. this would likely be a similar situation.
I lived in Coral Gables from 1989 through 2014 ... 25 years ... with a lot of friends living in South Miami, Kendall etc. The average Miami / Dade resident really didn't actively support UM football. I would be surprised if building a stadium ... with the understanding that a good % of Tropical Park will no longer be available to residents ... would be approved by residents.

I lived in Coral Gables from 1989 through 2014 ... 25 years ... with a lot of friends living in South Miami, Kendall etc. The average Miami / Dade resident really didn't actively support UM football. I would be surprised if building a stadium ... with the understanding that a good % of Tropical Park will no longer be available to residents ... would be approved by residents.
more fair-weather than anything. people dont get that on here

Advertisement
Perfect spot for the stadium is right here. On campus, traffic can feed into US1, people can walk to the metro station down the street, and nobody will miss an elementary school being relocated somewhere else nearby. You only play 6-8 home games a year, if locals can tolerate a baseball schedule, they can tolerate a couple more days for football.
1658171806383.png

Ohhh, the things I mentioned were just about what was going to be in the sales pitch but definitely not the key to actually getting this approved.

This is going to get in the weeds politically and keep in mind that I'm now a Broward resident and not as versed as I was in this stuff a while back but:

-One would think that any plans involving Tropical Park would start with getting the commissioner of the district it falls in on-board.

- That district is District 10 and represented by Javier Souto. He's actually a Miami grad but is being term-limited out of the seat and will be replaced this November.

- The guy that almost certainly will replace him is Anthony Rodriguez- a current member of the Florida House that I believe is just a high school graduate (Sunset) and he's relatively young (early 30s)

- Rodriguez is a real estate guy and heavily touted his endorsement from the very power Latin Builders Association. The same Latin Builders Association that has given the Mas Family a lifetime achievement award.

- I expect Rodriguez endorsing the plan sometime in 2023 to be the first political domino (of many needed) to fall in our favor.

His endorsement will mean diddly squat to the residents that I think ultimately will have the final say. It’s really between them and the commissioners.

Last edited:
Advertisement
objectively, the same lack of support existed for inter miami. the push didn't come from the fans but from the political clout and money of the Mas family.

Can Ruiz marshal the same political clout? the miami dade commisison (9 or 11 commissions) is very very different that the 5 city of miami commissioners. its a lot worse, a lot more complicated and for now you will have a hostile mayor. with the marlins, you had a mayor that was sponsoring the project. here you will have a mayor that will oppose it with all of her political clout.

remember, following the marlins approval, 1-2 commissioners were recalled and so was the mayor (carlos alvarez).

Perfect spot for the stadium is right here. On campus, traffic can feed into US1, people can walk to the metro station down the street, and nobody will miss an elementary school being relocated somewhere else nearby. You only play 6-8 home games a year, if locals can tolerate a baseball schedule, they can tolerate a couple more days for football.
View attachment 199305

This sir, is one **** of a first post.

View attachment 199305
lol at nobody will miss a school being relocated lol you need wayyyyy. more room than that for a football stadium

Advertisement
Back