Ruiz stadium update

Advertisement
"Shut up damnit! I can't hear what the bird is saying! It seems important!"
And the refs whistle! Down in front!!!!

For real though, it's been a complaint of mine about HRS. It's non-stop sound coming out of the speakers, all the way up until the ball is snapped. That doesn't make it a bad time, but certainly not typical of most college games where it's all about the band and the fans. Music is fine but not before/after every play at an absurd volume. At the OB nothing used to hit better than some well-timed DMX, Ludacris (move BlTCH), Uncle Luke, etc. **** I'm old.

I always hear about concerts at football stadiums. How many concerts does the average football stadium host per year? Average, not pointing out one field that does a lot.

A well run and exploited facility in a major market like Miami will have more concerts than home football games. But we would be competing with HRS for shows. I would guess that a bowl game might be created for the venue, as well as HS football championships and big games, maybe exhibition soccer matches... Ruiz says it will have retractable roof so that means it could be used for conventions and other indoor programming as well.

Other than excitement from fans and Ruiz, is there any hint Dade County, and whatever other relevant entities not related to UM, would seriously entertain this type of proposal?

Advertisement
And the refs whistle! Down in front!!!!

For real though, it's been a complaint of mine about HRS. It's non-stop sound coming out of the speakers, all the way up until the ball is snapped. That doesn't make it a bad time, but certainly not typical of most college games where it's all about the band and the fans. Music is fine but not before/after every play at an absurd volume. At the OB nothing used to hit better than some well-timed DMX, Ludacris (move BlTCH), Uncle Luke, etc. **** I'm old.
Now they'll build this new stadium and hire the guy responsible for music from HRS. Just our luck.

Is anyone of a certain age to remember house parties at a house on Miller called "The Palace"? I remember that place being in the vicinity of South Miami High- which is a couple blocks from the entrance to Tropical Park and a TON of people walked to those things.

So again, I absolutely wouldn't count on foot traffic at all when calculating the need for shuttles, etc. But that's also largely by choice and not actual logistics and theoretically a parent isn't going to have to worry if their 17 yr old freshman daughter has a meltdown at a game and decides to walk back to campus.

I'd bet biking to the games will be a big thing. Massive racks to lock bikes to, etc. Literally a casual 10 minute ride from campus. Hurricane Bike Army unite!

Advertisement
People at the typical football school put up with crap because they have no better option. Miami people aren't going to spend money to deal with stupid crap. If I'm a Golden Cane or a middle age local alum, I'm not dealing with limited parking. It isn't worth it. Those are people you don't want to alienate...

You've been on a roll lately, kid. You think any Golden Canes or donors of any significance aren't going to be able to park right up close to the stadium? Well, ok, then. There will be 16,000 spots ON SITE. Plus walkable off-site, shuttle off-site, and tons of community private yard parking just like nearly every spot at the OB that we miss so much was like.

You all get shook real easy.

A well run and exploited facility in a major market like Miami will have more concerts than home football games. But we would be competing with HRS for shows. I would guess that a bowl game might be created for the venue, as well as HS football championships and big games, maybe exhibition soccer matches... Ruiz says it will have retractable roof so that means it could be used for conventions and other indoor programming as well.
Cannot see the retractable roof ... that has to add $300 million to the cost if not more.

To add to this. We actually had better attendance last year at Hard Rock with a coach on his way out and going 7-5 than we did our final year at the OB.

We are never going to be the school that has 55,000 at every game. And if your noticing the trends around college football overall attendance at all games is down. Stadiums are reducing seating and it’s a growing problem.
I was at every game. **** it was scary quiet. Those attendance numbers are so weird

A retractable roof then we are talking about a major venue. This is no $500 million stadium. You absolutely make a play for the Orange Bowl and not some secondary bowl nobody will go to in Miami.

Advertisement
Ruiz seems deadset (as much as one can be at this point) on the retractable roof aspect for some reason.

Agreed about the canopy but I'm also not sure how well or even if a canopy would work on a stadium that is featuring an open end.
SoFi stadium in LA is open although it has a permanent roof. Of course, LA get warm but doesn't get the humidity of South Florida.

Cannot see the retractable roof ... that has to add $300 million to the cost if not more.

But you are projecting your value system upon Ruiz, other donors and stakeholders including UM. What if the goal isn't to exploit every ounce of ROI out of the project but to deliver upon UM facility sovereignty and stability that allows us to move forward as a university and a football program for the next century? People keep taking about what devious plan Ruiz has up his sleeve to make money buy what if his interest in doing this is truly philanthropic, which would actually dovetail with nearly every move he's made over the last year? What if he's legacy building? I also illustrated in another point how having a retractable roof could help draw an entire slate of non-outdoor events to the stadium annually.

Advertisement
Agreed technically, but the rest of the area offers nothing. Miracle Mile would pop off on game days. **** park in a garage in one those spots, pre-game and Uber to Tropical Park.

you cannot live in miami or ever visited if you believe that miracle mile will pop off with a stadium 5 miles away at Tropical.

alternatively, you DO live here and you have no idea what you are talking about.

/not sure which is which worse.

I'd bet biking to the games will be a big thing. Massive racks to lock bikes to, etc. Literally a casual 10 minute ride from campus. Hurricane Bike Army unite!
That's actually a version of Critical Mass that I wouldn't fantasize about mowing down!

I'm also going to run a rickshaw business back and forth to campus. Gonna resurrect all those dudes that used to do it the Grove and on the Beach. Will be super dirty though. Will end up having my guys take detours onto the Palmetto to charge triple fares and to scare the **** out of freshmen.

Advertisement
Back