Ruiz stadium update

No reason that UM would have to have a SEC capacity stadium. A stadium with somewhere around 60,000 would be perfect for UM.

Stadiums by Size in the ACC

FSU 82,300
Clemson 81,500
Va Tech 66,233
Pitt 65,500
UM 65,236 (Hard Rock)
UNC 62,980
NC State 57,583
Louisville 55,000
Ga Tech 55,000
Syracuse 49,250
BC 44,500
Duke 40,000 (but it's a long walk from the locker rooms)
Wake 31,500

Baylor's new stadium is 45,140, Kentucky is 61,000, Oregon is 54,000. We DON'T NEED an SEC capacity venue.
This came up in previous discussions about UNC (and since UNC is also kind of the flavor of the month when it comes to conference expansion) but the current capacity of their stadium is just 50,500. That's an on-campus stadium with over 30k students (20k undergrad) too.

Advertisement
It all depends on club level seating and designs. We will know more in August.

Ruiz family isn’t too impressed with certain variables at HRS. It is an old stadium with a face lift. I think they want to build something more advanced in many ways.
FACE LIFT?? Did you see what was done to that stadium? It was 100% demolished with exception of the main support columns. The entire building is new including all seating and seats were moved closer to the field. It was not a "facelift".

Yeah except it doesn’t work that way. Do you go to games? Look around. At least 50% of the people I would say are over 40 or even 50. They are usually the ones that contribute the most to the program, buy the season tickets and so forth.

So if you don’t think comfort or convenience are an issue, then you’re not looking at it clearly.
People at the typical football school put up with crap because they have no better option. Miami people aren't going to spend money to deal with stupid crap. If I'm a Golden Cane or a middle age local alum, I'm not dealing with limited parking. It isn't worth it. Those are people you don't want to alienate...

FACE LIFT?? Did you see what was done to that stadium? It was 100% demolished with exception of the main support columns. The entire building is new including all seating and seats were moved closer to the field. It was not a "facelift".
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

A couple of points.

A retractable roof would raise the price of the stadium in my estimation, to over $1.5 billion.

Secondly, could you specifically tell me what variables at HRS the Ruiz family is not impressed with?
Yeah .. the "retractable roof" comment seemed to come out of nowhere as though it's an afterthought. HUGE expense. The one at Marlins Park was a huge expense. Doesn't seem feasible for a college stadium used maybe 10 times a year. The "canopy" at hard rock would be as effective.

Advertisement
Yeah .. the "retractable roof" comment seemed to come out of nowhere as though it's an afterthought. HUGE expense. The one at Marlins Park was a huge expense. Doesn't seem feasible for a college stadium used maybe 10 times a year. The "canopy" at hard rock would be as effective.
Ruiz seems deadset (as much as one can be at this point) on the retractable roof aspect for some reason.

Agreed about the canopy but I'm also not sure how well or even if a canopy would work on a stadium that is featuring an open end.

Advertisement
Or just reroute it from Zoo Miami to Tropical Park.
THIS is the kind of outside of the box/shift the paradigm type of thinking that so many dinosaurs lack. We'll definitely double-back to this later.

Advertisement
I think he just wants a retractable because it's cool 🤣
That's actually a distinct possibility. He might want to ride on it as it opens and closes for adulation purposes. He'll throw cash and Miami Live gift cards down upon an adoring crowd.

I may be in the minority, but I think we should just stay put where we are. Since the renovations, the place is world class and anything built for UM will pale in comparison.
Agreed. Don't want to go back to driving down to Coral Gables either (oh the pain of the Palmetto x-way). Love Hard Rock's easy access and amenities. However I applaud Ruiz for putting the effort into it.

Advertisement
No reason that UM would have to have a SEC capacity stadium. A stadium with somewhere around 60,000 would be perfect for UM.

Stadiums by Size in the ACC

FSU 82,300
Clemson 81,500
Va Tech 66,233
Pitt 65,500
UM 65,236 (Hard Rock)
UNC 62,980
NC State 57,583
Louisville 55,000
Ga Tech 55,000
Syracuse 49,250
BC 44,500
Duke 40,000 (but it's a long walk from the locker rooms)
Wake 31,500

Baylor's new stadium is 45,140, Kentucky is 61,000, Oregon is 54,000. We DON'T NEED an SEC capacity venue.
I just can't see how a stadium that size including parking will fit. Also I guess we will do away with Tailgating. There is no way on earth we will be able to tailgate in a parking garage underneath the stadium.

BS ... Rechts' 2017 season the average was 57,000 (tickets sold yes) but butts in the seat was close. The only time you have CONFERENCE GAMES with low attendance is when UM sucks. UM with 10 win or better regular seasons TODAY = 60,000 or more. This is not 1990 either and simply the population of Miami Dade having grown by 800,000 certainly helps.
Here's what I said about that earlier on this thread. If they sold that many tickets, that's all I really care about.

I've been to games where they claim huge attendance numbers and the stadium sure doesn't look to match those figures. Maybe the large number of empty seats because people are in the clubs skews my perspective, but it's been mentioned many times here.

I think that's kinda what I said. Disney.

Disney isn't built at ground level...its raised. (The water table, while not as high in SFL, is relatively high in Orlando.) The 'tunnels' are actually about ground level.

I suspect something similar could be planned for this Tropical Park area.

Advertisement
Back