RPO, RPO, RPO, RPO…blah blah blah

Advertisement
Riddler80 is spot on with his description of RPO...CMR is not looking for the jalen Hurts of the world or the jt barretts (neither can throw or read a defense) but rather the baker Mayfields/ deandre francior type skill-sets. Just talking about their skill-sets in comparison, able to run when necessary but smart decision-making and accurate passers. Tough to defend when the offense is made up of playmakers and a productive oline

+1 Perry is perfect for this offense...

To get the plus one advantage and have the running back be the ball carrier against a 6 man box, the offense must leave a defender unblocked and keep the seventh defender from entering. With the RPO, any run can be used. Some like zone, some like gap based power runs. In this example, the run will be the common inside zone run, and the pass will be a hitch and fade on the front and the backside route will be an out and fade.
View attachment 41291

The quarterback will take the snap and immediately get his eyes to the conflicted defender. If that defender comes downhill to fill the B gap, the quarterback will pull and throw to the slot receiver who is going to make sure to body up and block out any safety who may be coming down to rob. By leaving the linebacker unblocked, the offense gains a plus one in the run game. By separating the field and sending routes deep, it forces safeties to remain out of the run game, ie to keep the seventh defender out. Because the backside is running a speed out, the defender over him will be unable to come into the run box. As defenses adjust to what is happening the offense must continue understand what gaps or passing zones are being left open, or being defended by dual defenders. As long as the offense knows the answer to that question, there is an RPO to attack with. Ultimately, the final chalk lies with a cover zero. At that point, it is my man against your man. Play ball.

Also let's say if they play man with a 5 yard cushion and a high safety with one of those CB's biting or play man to man; one of those outside receivers is going to make a big chunk play

Like Richards did against WVU?

The CB on that play was more like 10 yards. The read was really easy for Kaaya.

Let's say the defense does play man-free with a 5 yard cushion. What's the offense's answer for that?

Man-Free is the most sound thing against RPO's. Any form of single-high is, really. But now the defense is living in the "man" world, which leaves them susceptible to other stuff.

This guy talks about RPO's versus different coverages. (he goes into man-free around 12:23)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGF9NBCfa8&t=62s

A lot of good stuff in that video. So many different options and answers to different coverages in that video. He barely touched on the added dimension of the QB run. And he only looked at the 2x2 offensive set.

I said this over in the WEZ, but this offense can be dynamic. Kaaya had 27 passing TDs this season which was good for 22nd in the nation. This coming with rumors that Richt was unhappy with Kaaya's command of the offense; and some real stinkers put up by Kaaya. one of our tune-up games, FAU, Kaaya didn't even throw a TD.

Taking an unbiased view of what the OP has said about, "The Read Option Run" he is actually right (correct) about it being a wrinkle in RPO where it is an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass game. Not only can you see it in use in the Virginia game above @0:31 in the play with Coley in the slot and Kaaya chooses the WR in the slot taking advantage of the LB playing run and therefore out of his pass coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. Which is further verified with the OL slanting down at the snap. I could breakdown the WV game the same but that has seem to touch a nerve with the OP being correct in both cases and God knows I don't need that drama. lol

But I would say to ban a user for backing up his information as being valid is hypocritical especially in his on thread where there are tons of violations (derailing, name calling, hijacking, etc) by other users. God forbid Pete ever gets banned when Perry ends up the starter game one and revisits the current thread with "I told ya". To close, I don't know about you all but I really learned a lot from this Brother regarding football. You guys have learned a lot about what RPO is from other posters but I think we may have missed an opportunity to understand the "analytics" in what is required to consistently run RPO with long-term success which he pointed out as the thesis of his thread. But sometimes we may need to swallow our pride and just admit that there are others who may know more than us and our friends. Now, I'm almost certain that I to may reap the same fate but DMoney and Andrew need to tell the other Admins to lighten up (emotionally) on the bans and infractions especially now that we are in a dead period and will soon be entering the off season. Thank you Moro for the information!!!

That's your homeboy?

Advertisement
Taking an unbiased view of what the OP has said about, "The Read Option Run" he is actually right (correct) about it being a wrinkle in RPO where it is an evolution of the read option pass or play action pass game. Not only can you see it in use in the Virginia game above @0:31 in the play with Coley in the slot and Kaaya chooses the WR in the slot taking advantage of the LB playing run and therefore out of his pass coverage responsibilities in the middle of the field. Which is further verified with the OL slanting down at the snap. I could breakdown the WV game the same but that has seem to touch a nerve with the OP being correct in both cases and God knows I don't need that drama. lol

But I would say to ban a user for backing up his information as being valid is hypocritical especially in his on thread where there are tons of violations (derailing, name calling, hijacking, etc) by other users. God forbid Pete ever gets banned when Perry ends up the starter game one and revisits the current thread with "I told ya". To close, I don't know about you all but I really learned a lot from this Brother regarding football. You guys have learned a lot about what RPO is from other posters but I think we may have missed an opportunity to understand the "analytics" in what is required to consistently run RPO with long-term success which he pointed out as the thesis of his thread. But sometimes we may need to swallow our pride and just admit that there are others who may know more than us and our friends. Now, I'm almost certain that I to may reap the same fate but DMoney and Andrew need to tell the other Admins to lighten up (emotionally) on the bans and infractions especially now that we are in a dead period and will soon be entering the off season. Thank you Moro for the information!!!

That's your homeboy?

Macho, honestly I was being as unbiased as anyone could be on this. You guys know I hold no punches. I thought you would own up win or lose in the end; but you didn't give him is props even though the evidence proves he was correct clear as day. But it ain't to late; we are all wrong sometimes however, CIS fans be on Moro *** so bad that he has to stay sharp.

Look at his impact, I even see it in a lot of threads today. It's a very different outlook on Perry today not only at the QB position but the other positions as well. Moro's "analytics" cleared up a lot of things even though it was overshadowed by the attacks on the RPO wrinkle "The Read Option Run" game. It's funny now, because everyone was soo confused as to what the **** Richt was trying to do in the run game until Moro broke it down. That Brother smart. And please don't bring the "homeboy" thing into it; like "we" all know each other and therefore can't be trusted to uphold the truth. I don't even want to have that discussion. I think we have met our "one unjust social act" for the week. Hmm, and we didn't have to go to Bama to find it. SMH Dam it Moro, you done made it hard for us Good Black Folk...lol

Last edited:

That's your homeboy?

Macho, honestly I was being as unbiased as anyone could be on this. You guys know I hold no punches. I thought you would own up win or lose in the end; but you didn't give him is props even though the evidence proves he was correct clear as day. But it ain't to late; we are all wrong sometimes however, CIS fans be on Moro *** so bad that he has to stay sharp.

Look at his impact, I even see in a lot of threads today. It's a very different outlook on Perry today not only at the QB position but the other positions as well. Moro's "analytics" cleared up a lot of things even though it was overshadowed by the attacks the RPO wrinkle "The Read Option Run" game. It's funny now, because everyone soo confused as to what the **** Richt was trying to do in the run game until Moro broke it down. That Brother smart. And please don't bring the "homeboy" thing into it; like "we" all know each other and therefore can't be trusted to uphold the truth. I don't even want to have that discussion. I think we have met our "one unjust social act" for the week. Hmm, and we didn't have to go to Bama to find it. SMH Dam it Moro, you done made hard for us Good Black Folk...lol

Nothing he said made any sense. He didn't break down anything. On top of it, when other people like myself talked about the RPO game he told us/insinuated that we didn't know what we were talking about. Maybe you need to read the thread again.

That's your homeboy?

Look at his impact, I even see in a lot of threads today. It's a very different outlook on Perry today not only at the QB position but the other positions as well. Moro's "analytics" cleared up a lot of things even though it was overshadowed by the attacks the RPO wrinkle "The Read Option Run" game. It's funny now, because everyone soo confused as to what the **** Richt was trying to do in the run game until Moro broke it down. That Brother smart. And please don't bring the "homeboy" thing into it; like "we" all know each other and therefore can't be trusted to uphold the truth. I don't even want to have that discussion. I think we have met our "one unjust social act" for the week. Hmm, and we didn't have to go to Bama to find it. SMH Dam it Moro, you done made hard for us Good Black Folk...lol

Ropa is Moro's other screen name.

I could tell that he doesn't know WTF he's talking about just based off of the questions he asked. That's why I didn't bother to answer them. Just for you [MENTION=14822]Ropa[/MENTION] , I will.

It is always a perfectly can’t lose choice on any given play philosophy when you here it explained. What pro RPO lovers fail to tell you are the requirements needed at each position for it to be successfully executed against these highly complex defenses that RPO is supposedly able to defeat know matter the situation?

For RPO to be successful in Richt’s read option run game you will need the following because he stated that he wants to be able to establish the run game first and far most in his offense:

The read option run. You need to recruit consistently, a QB that has the wheels to make the execution of that play deadly. Especially with a fast athletic zone blocking offensive line and disciplined and willing run blocking WRs and TEs. Not to mention to set RPO apart from any other system requires the innovation by the OC and the buy in of the players and along with the execution of the OL.

1) The OC's innovations with RPOs were tested this year. Will the OCs creativity be enough to defeat the highly complex defenses in the ACC?

2) QBs gifted with an athletic body, analytical brain, exceptional speed, who seldom forces throws don't grow on trees every year. With so many P5 teams competing for dual threat QBs with all these traits; can this staff consistently win the recruiting battle for the top QBs?

3) OL can U consistently recruit fast athletic zone blocking O Lineman every year, which also don’t grow on trees?

4) Blocking WRs and TEs you can find a dime a dozen but the hybrids that we have been known to attract will stop coming because they want the ball. Can this staff continue to win the battle for these elites at the WR and TE position?

Now, I gave you the formula for RPOs to be successful. You now tell me how well are U doing in recruiting these needs in year two? The answers will give you an honest idea of where you are and how long it will take you to get to where you need to be. It should also give you an indication if you can sustain long-term success or dynasty run.

* Don't give me "What complex defenses in the ACC" because you didn't have an answer for at least four teams.
** And don't start with your explanation of what RPO is "We get it, already", "We also no the problems" so this is my solution to the problem.
*** If you can't do any of the above four consistently please do us all a favor and let's agree to scrap RPO because half *** won't cut it.

PS: For those that appreciate this kind of information; Thanks For Reading I look forward to reading your insights on the subject!!!

Moro Brings The Good News!!! So **** it... Let's Get It!!!!

1) What highly complex defenses? In the RPO it doesn't really matter how complex the defense is. Your QB only has ONE read. He's reading a single "conflict defender", doesn't matter what the other 10 guys are doing. Defenses may be able to manipulate this system by moving defenders around pre-snap but more often than not it's an easy read.

2) You don't have to be fast and athletic to be successful with RPO's. They don't require a mobile QB.

3) We need those type of linemen whether we run the RPO concepts or not, since we're a mainly zone blocking team. (even when we're not running RPO's)

4) Why would any WR/TE stop coming here just because we're running RPO's? If anything, that should make them want to come here. That means we're utilizing them more.

Advertisement
Macho & Zbrod, thanks for the breakdown of the RPO. Appreciate the knowledge.

Go Canes!

High five.jpg

That's your homeboy?

Nothing he said made any sense. He didn't break down anything. On top of it, when other people like myself talked about the RPO game he told us/insinuated that we didn't know what we were talking about. Maybe you need to read the thread again.

Macho, the disconnect appears to be "insinuating" that you didn't know what you were talking about. And he actually implied and said, basically you knew the terminology, the basic understanding of the philosophy concepts however, like many others they don't know how to apply it, or what is essentially needed to make these matchups work consistently over the long-term and therefore failed to see the deceptions on game film. I looked at both videos and he was on point 100. And it didn't help you much when he pointed to the very play from the WV game where you cited Kaaya threw to Richards for the touchdown. And further making his point that you didn’t fully understand the executions of all the wrinkles used in RPOs “The Read Option Run” game being the one most relevant to his thread. My take is; If you want to gain real knowledge accept the knowledge but if you want the knowledge as long as it doesn’t conflict with your perception from within a group then you care more about your group than you do about gaining real knowledge.

Last edited:
Advertisement

That's your homeboy?

Macho, the disconnect appears to be "insinuating" that you didn't know what you were talking about. And he actually implied and said, basically you knew the terminology, the basic understanding of the philosophy concepts however, like many others they don't know how to apply it, or what is essentially needed to make these matchups work consistently over the long-term and therefore failed to see the deceptions on game film. I looked at both videos and he was on point 100. And it didn't help you much when he pointed to the very play from the WV game where you cited Kaaya threw to Richards for the touchdown. And further making his point that you didn’t fully understand the executions of all the wrinkles used in RPOs “The Read Option Run” game being the one most relevant to his thread. My take is; If you want to gain real knowledge accept the knowledge but if you want the knowledge as long as it doesn’t conflict with your perception from within a group then you care more about your group than you do about gaining real knowledge.

You'll learn more about RPO watching spongebob than Moro's post

So Moro(n) is finally banned? **** that was overdue. It was downright comical watching this thread. I didn't think there was anybody left that didn't understand the RPO.

Watching Darnold eviscerate defenses with their Run Pass Option game gets me hard as ****. Do we have anyone that special on our roster? Probably not yet...but a Cane can hope, amirite?

Advertisement

That's your homeboy?

Ok Moro.

RGIII was the most effective QB to ever run the RPO concepts and is the biggest reason why everyone gets so wide eyed over it's effectiveness. And I have to respect Moro's genius in giving us the analytics behind what it takes to run these plays. RGIII is the undisputed prototype QB to run RPO concepts as it relates to "The Read Option Run" game because he has the "wheels" that Moro refers to in order to make the defense respect him as a runner. Something else here the OP forces us to look at the QB body type that is also needed. Why the body type? Although RGIII had the ideal frame those hits took a toll on him in one season. Gruden was brought in as the new HC\OC\QB guru to get RGIII back to where he played under Shanahan, but he said, he didn't want to play that type of football anymore he wanted to play in the pocket like Manning and Brady. Of course that didn't work with Gruden and they eventually brought in Cousins. Washington has been down since because those types of QBs needed for RPOs success are very few in number and therefore harder to replace.

The OP forces us to deal with these issues:

RPOs require the QB to now take the same punishments that RBs take. The average lifespan is 3-4 years. I am not convinced that we can do this because Auburn has struggled after Newton left and L'ville hasn't quite had the same success with Jackson.

Gruden failed in trying to run too much RPO with RGIII. I believe Gruden should have ran less because the threat of the QB to run was already on the defenses radar. Richt struggled with Kaaya as well but Coley had great success with Kaaya in using very little RPOs as shown in the Virginia game above.

Lastly, In the videos above the gentleman teaches us that he teaches x's and o's in a paper world and RPO requires your guys to be better than their guys.

Last edited:
RGIII was the most effective QB to ever run the RPO concepts and is the biggest reason why everyone gets so wide eyed over it's effectiveness. And I have to respect Moro's genius in giving us the analytics behind what it takes to run these plays. RGIII is the undisputed prototype QB to run RPO concepts as it relates to "The Read Option Run" game because he has the "wheels" that Moro refers to in order to make the defense respect him as a runner. Something else here the OP forces us to look at the QB body type that is also needed. Why the body type? Although RGIII had the ideal frame those hits took a toll on him in one season. Gruden was brought the new HC\OC\QB guru to get RGIII back to where he played under Shanahan, but he said, he didn't want to play that type of football anymore he wanted to play in the pocket like Manning and Brady. Oh course it didn't work with Gruden and they eventually brought in Cousins. Washington has been down since because those types of QBs needed for RPOs success are very few in number and therefore harder to replace.

The OP forces us to deal with these issues:

RPOs require the QB to now take the same punishments that RB take. The average lifespan is 3-4 years. I am not convince that we can do this because Auburn has struggled after Newton left and L'ville hasn't quite had the same success with Jackson.

Gruden failed in trying to run too much RPO with RGIII. I believe Gruden should have ran less because the threat of the QB to run was already on the defenses radar. Richt struggled with Kaaya as well but Coley had great success with Kaaya in RPOs as shown in the Virginia game above.

Lastly, In the videos above the gentleman teaches us that he teaches x's and o's in a paper world and RPO requires your guy to be better than their guys.

Shut up, running the Rpo less wouldn't have saved RGIII from his horrible decision making and his crappy attitude

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back