RPO, RPO, RPO, RPO…blah blah blah

New screen name, still confusing the run/pass option with the zone read option.

Advertisement
RGIII was the most effective QB to ever run the RPO concepts and is the biggest reason why everyone gets so wide eyed over it's effectiveness. And I have to respect Moro's genius in giving us the analytics behind what it takes to run these plays. RGIII is the undisputed prototype QB to run RPO concepts as it relates to "The Read Option Run" game because he has the "wheels" that Moro refers to in order to make the defense respect him as a runner. Something else here the OP forces us to look at the QB body type that is also needed. Why the body type? Although RGIII had the ideal frame those hits took a toll on him in one season. Gruden was brought in as the new HC\OC\QB guru to get RGIII back to where he played under Shanahan, but he said, he didn't want to play that type of football anymore he wanted to play in the pocket like Manning and Brady. Of course that didn't work with Gruden and they eventually brought in Cousins. Washington has been down since because those types of QBs needed for RPOs success are very few in number and therefore harder to replace.

The OP forces us to deal with these issues:

RPOs require the QB to now take the same punishments that RBs take. The average lifespan is 3-4 years. I am not convinced that we can do this because Auburn has struggled after Newton left and L'ville hasn't quite had the same success with Jackson.

Gruden failed in trying to run too much RPO with RGIII. I believe Gruden should have ran less because the threat of the QB to run was already on the defenses radar. Richt struggled with Kaaya as well but Coley had great success with Kaaya in using very little RPOs as shown in the Virginia game above.

Lastly, In the videos above the gentleman teaches us that he teaches x's and o's in a paper world and RPO requires your guys to be better than their guys.

Dude, just stop.

Advertisement
Back